Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Buying & Selling Real Estate
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Tom Hall
Votes |
I ovrbid and now I dont like the house

Tom Hall
Posted

Recently I purchased a house did overpay 60K my offer was the second highest offer seller didnt accept that but they called me back after a month since the first offer didnt go thru, I gladly moved forwad and recently moved in however I dont like the house at all it is accross the cemetary I dont feel homy there a bit house is nice but I simply i dont love it! I am looking into option what can i do at this point selling I dont think anyone would pay me this much since the value of the houses are slighly going down in NJ. what would be my options at this point? 

User Stats

Votes
Jason Taken
Lender
  • Lender
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
Lender
  • Lender
  • Chicago, IL
Replied

Rent it out and wait for the comps to catch up to what you paid. Then refi/sell.

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied
Quote from @Tom Hall:

Recently I purchased a house did overpay 60K my offer was the second highest offer seller didnt accept that but they called me back after a month since the first offer didnt go thru, I gladly moved forwad and recently moved in however I dont like the house at all it is accross the cemetary I dont feel homy there a bit house is nice but I simply i dont love it! I am looking into option what can i do at this point selling I dont think anyone would pay me this much since the value of the houses are slighly going down in NJ. what would be my options at this point? 

Your options would be to sell it, and most likely take a loss on it as you also will have closing and realtor costs involved which you can assume that would be 10%. The other option would be to consider renting it, but you should look at what rents are in the area. Most likely if you rent it, it will not cash flow to cover the mortgage so you could still be losing money every month.

IT would be good to compare what options is better for you. 

BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!

User Stats

Votes
Bob P.#2 Off Topic Contributor
  • Investor
Votes |
  • Investor
Replied
Quote from @Tom Hall:

You can sell it on a Lease Option, get 10% cash down as an option fee and cash flow the property. Let me know if you want details.

User Stats

Votes
Michael Brattelli
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Medford, NJ
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Medford, NJ
Replied

@Tom Hall Values in NJ certainly aren’t going down right now. There’s a huge shortage of inventory. What town or area is it in?

User Stats

Votes
Verna Littleton
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Memphis, TN
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Memphis, TN
Replied

Rent it out if you are in a position to do so.   

User Stats

Votes
Mark F.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Bergen County, NJ
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Bergen County, NJ
Replied
Quote from @Michael Brattelli:

@Tom Hall Values in NJ certainly aren’t going down right now. There’s a huge shortage of inventory. What town or area is it in?

This. You must be in south or central NJ. Paying over ask is basically standard here. So where are you? PS I'd live across or next to a cemetery in a heart beat. Quiet neighbors.

User Stats

Votes
Eric Gerakos
  • Investor
  • Costa Mesa, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Costa Mesa, CA
Replied

Across from a cemetery is great. The dead are usually quiet at night….

User Stats

Votes
Shawn Mcenteer
Agent
  • Realtor
  • Boonton Township, NJ
Votes |
Agent
  • Realtor
  • Boonton Township, NJ
Replied

Hi @Tom Hall what type of home is it;  multi, single?   Where is home located? Is there room to renovate/did you renovate?

User Stats

Votes
Tom Hall
Votes |
Replied
Quote from @Shawn Mcenteer:

Hi @Tom Hall what type of home is it;  multi, single?   Where is home located? Is there room to renovate/did you renovate?

hi Shawn it is located in NJ  Middlesex County. Single family but has finished basement, with its own entrance!

User Stats

Votes
Tom Hall
Votes |
Replied

Hows the market in NJ now? the house i bought is located in Middlesex County

User Stats

Votes
Tom Hall
Votes |
Replied
Quote from @Mark F.:

it is in Middlesex County, yes i have been looking for a house for the past 6 months and none of my offers were accepted i got outbid many times and even for this property I got outbid but i was the second highest bidder so they contacted me to get it. 

This. You must be in south or central NJ. Paying over ask is basically standard here. So where are you? PS I'd live across or next to a cemetery in a heart beat. Quiet neighbors.

User Stats

Votes
Shawn Mcenteer
Agent
  • Realtor
  • Boonton Township, NJ
Votes |
Agent
  • Realtor
  • Boonton Township, NJ
Replied
Quote from @Tom Hall:
Quote from @Shawn Mcenteer:

hi Shawn it is located in NJ  Middlesex County. Single family but has finished basement, with its own entrance!

Marketed towards house hackers may make it sell for more. Single family house hacks preform well in your area.  

BiggerPockets logo
PassivePockets is here!
|
BiggerPockets
Find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Michael Brattelli
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Medford, NJ
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Medford, NJ
Replied

@Mark F. My market is South Jersey and it’s absolutely on fire still. From what I hear it gets hotter the more north you go.

User Stats

Votes
Michael Brattelli
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Medford, NJ
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Medford, NJ
Replied

@Tom Hall I’m in South Jersey, Ocean and Burlington counties and lower. There’s very little inventory across the state right now and the market is definitely not down. I think you should speak to an experienced Broker and get a price opinion and ask how your local market is. What makes you think the market is down?

User Stats

Votes
Henry Lazerow
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Chicago, IL
Replied

Whats your mortgage payment vs rent comps? As others mentioned just rent it out and over time the value will go up and mortgage balance will go down eventually can sell at a profit. You can also look at refinancing for a lower payment, rates are in low 6s now and likely to hit 5s in next few months. 

User Stats

Votes
Theresa Harris
Pro Member
#3 Managing Your Property Contributor
Votes |
Pro Member
#3 Managing Your Property Contributor
Replied

Why doesn't it feel homey to you??  You knew there was a cemetery across the street, but is it the view of the cemetery that bothers you?  Put up a fence or plant some trees to break up/block the view of it.  Before thinking about selling, why not try to figure out what it is that isn't working for you?

User Stats

Votes
Maddie Delayo
  • Realtor
  • New Jersey
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • New Jersey
Replied

Hi Tom! The rental market is very strong in Middlesex County - I have a rental here myself and work with a local property management company. Just PM'ed you! 

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied
Quote from @Tom Hall:

What did you end up doing?

User Stats

Votes
Drew Sygit
Property Manager
Agent
#2 Managing Your Property Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Royal Oak, MI
Votes |
Property Manager
Agent