Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
Buying & Selling Real Estate

User Stats

Votes
Kelly Stanton
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
DSCR Loan Help

Kelly Stanton
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Posted Jun 4 2024, 20:43

We purchased a property that we rehabbed in the last 3 months and are looking to refinance to get out of our 10.5% hard money loan. The property was purchased through a LLC so a conventional loan isn't an option for us. We have landed on DSCR as our best refi option but are finding that the majority of DSCR lenders require 12 months of rental history which we don't have. For context, we have been running a successful airbnb for 6+ months cash flowing close to $750/month. Does anyone know of a lender in TX that has more loose rental terms?

User Stats

Votes
Devin Peterson
Lender
  • Lender
Votes |
Lender
  • Lender
Replied Jun 5 2024, 02:25

Do you have 12 months of mortgage history overall? (e.g., have you owned a primary residence for at least 12 months?) There are plenty of other options out there without 12-month seasoning requirements.

User Stats

Votes
Robin Simon#1 Private Lending & Conventional Mortgage Advice Contributor
  • Lender
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Austin, TX
Replied Jun 5 2024, 05:58
Quote from @Kelly Stanton:

We purchased a property that we rehabbed in the last 3 months and are looking to refinance to get out of our 10.5% hard money loan. The property was purchased through a LLC so a conventional loan isn't an option for us. We have landed on DSCR as our best refi option but are finding that the majority of DSCR lenders require 12 months of rental history which we don't have. For context, we have been running a successful airbnb for 6+ months cash flowing close to $750/month. Does anyone know of a lender in TX that has more loose rental terms?

Yes - you should be able to find a lender that is "AirBnBRRRR" friendly - most DSCR Lenders will require the full 12 months of STR history but a few that specialize in STR can qualify less than one year, typically with AirDNA projections or some common-sense mixed underwriting approach

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Zach Edelman
  • Lender
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Austin, TX
Replied Jun 5 2024, 06:06

You should be able to refinance with a DSCR loan with a lender that utilizes AirDNA projections. You will be able to convert your current debt to a 30 year perm debt loan and cashflow on a long-term basis.

User Stats

Votes
Tanner Lewis
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Austin, TX
Replied Jun 5 2024, 07:13

It looks like this STR will be eligible for refinancing. If you don't have a full year of booking history, you can often combine booking history (six months in this case) and AirDNA projections. With the booking history, the lender will just be looking to see if you are on track to meet the AirDNA projected revenue for the year.

User Stats

Votes
Kelly Stanton
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Jun 5 2024, 13:03
Quote from @Devin Peterson:

Do you have 12 months of mortgage history overall? (e.g., have you owned a primary residence for at least 12 months?) There are plenty of other options out there without 12-month seasoning requirements.

Hey Devin, yes I've owned my primary for about 6 years. Would the two other partners also need to have 12 months of mortgage history? 

User Stats

Votes
Kelly Stanton
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Jun 5 2024, 13:07
Quote from @Robin Simon:

Yes - you should be able to find a lender that is "AirBnBRRRR" friendly - most DSCR Lenders will require the full 12 months of STR history but a few that specialize in STR can qualify less than one year, typically with AirDNA projections or some common-sense mixed underwriting approach

Robin, if we found something like the above would we be able to convert the property to a MTR or LTR if we wanted to?

User Stats

Votes
Devin Peterson
Lender
  • Lender
Votes |
Lender
  • Lender
Replied Jun 5 2024, 13:19
Quote from @Devin Peterson:

Hey Devin, yes I've owned my primary for about 6 years. Would the two other partners also need to have 12 months of mortgage history? 

No not at all! You have lots of options here!

User Stats

Votes
  • Lender
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Austin, TX
Replied Jun 5 2024, 13:55
Quote from @Robin Simon:

Robin, if we found something like the above would we be able to convert the property to a MTR or LTR if we wanted to?

Yes, that wouldn't be a problem at all post-close. I actually am a huge fan of the hybrid MTR/STR strategy here in Austin

User Stats

Votes
David Pearl
Lender
  • Lender
Votes |
Lender
  • Lender
Replied Jun 5 2024, 16:48

@Kelly Stanton - Hi Kelly. Like others have said, you dont necessarily need 12 months STR history. AirDna projections can be used. I own AirBnB's myself, and have executed the AirBnBRRRR strategy. Happy to discuss how we can help.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jun 5 2024, 17:25

@Kelly Stanton Hi! I do DSCR loans all the time. You do not need 12 months of history. Some lenders will allow for the use of AirDNA, others will not. More importantly you need a lender who allows for short term seasoning for pulling out appriased value. I use a lender that oonly requires one day of seasoning so that I can refi as soon as the rehab is completed into a long term, fully amortizing loan.

User Stats

Votes
Kelly Stanton
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Jun 6 2024, 09:06
Quote from @Cassidy Corella:

@Kelly Stanton Hi! I do DSCR loans all the time. You do not need 12 months of history. Some lenders will allow for the use of AirDNA, others will not. More importantly you need a lender who allows for short term seasoning for pulling out appriased value. I use a lender that oonly requires one day of seasoning so that I can refi as soon as the rehab is completed into a long term, fully amortizing loan.

Cassidy, are you seeing competitive rates with this type of loan? 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jun 6 2024, 09:12
Quote from @Cassidy Corella:

Cassidy, are you seeing competitive rates with this type of loan? 

Nearly as good as investor conventional since Fannie and Freddie did all of their loan level pricing adjustments a few year back.  Just did one at 7.125%.  Also, I was able to roll fees into the loan amount.
Steadily logo
Steadily
|
Sponsored
America’s best-rated landlord insurance nationwide Quotes online in minutes. Single-family, fix n’ flips, short-term rentals, and more. Great prices.

User Stats

Votes
Colin McMahon
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Miami
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Miami
Replied Jun 9 2024, 19:43

Hey @Kelly Stanton,

Like Cassidy rightfully mentioned, you should look for lenders that are flexible with rental history requirements and use AirDNA data for short-term rentals like your Airbnb. Additionally, find lenders who offer short-term seasoning options, which allow refinancing shortly after rehab completion.

I'd be happy to assist! Feel free to DM me for more specific recommendations or to discuss your options in detail.

Milo Logo

User Stats

Votes
Erik Estrada
Lender
#1 Mortgage Brokers & Lenders Contributor
  • Lender
Votes |
Lender
#1 Mortgage Brokers & Lenders Contributor
  • Lender
Replied Jun 18 2024, 09:25

Hi Kelly, 

Yes, you can refinance using the projected AirDNA rents. Lenders will use up to 80% of the projected rents to qualify. You may also use the actual rent if you have previous experience with another property. 

User Stats

Votes
Deborah Wodell
  • Lender
  • Colorado Springs, CO
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Colorado Springs, CO
Replied Jul 23 2024, 15:05

Hey! If you still need options, I can possibly help.