Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Buying & Selling Real Estate
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Autumn Kim
Votes |
Is it a bad idea to buy a house with squatters ?

Autumn Kim
Posted

I recently started to look at houses in Philadelphia and I noticed that there are many cheap houses with squatters.

Is the process to evict them hard? How long and how much does it take to get rid of them?

If there is anyone who has experience with dealing with squatters, can you give me some advice?

User Stats

Votes
Melanie P.
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
Replied

It depends on your appetite and financial ability to carry out the post-purchase fight. There are legal and extra legal ways to get rid of the squatters. 

Are they advertised as having squatters? What sort of discount (dollars and percent) are you getting for the squatter properties?

To me this sounds like an incredible opportunity with tremendous negotiating potential. It's essential to get all the information you can about the squatter: did they ever have a contract with the owner, how long have they been there, how many are there, has anyone told authorities, do they have access to any utilities you'll have to pay for, etc. Once you get as many details as you can on the squatters feel free to PM me for ideas on how to get rid of them.

User Stats

Votes
Stuart Udis
Pro Member
#1 Rehabbing & House Flipping Contributor
  • Attorney
  • Philadelphia
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Rehabbing & House Flipping Contributor
  • Attorney
  • Philadelphia
Replied

If they are squatters you will have to go through an ejectment which is lengthier and more expensive than an eviction. That's why its usually more cost effective to pay them to leave if possible. Unfortunately many are knowledgeable and use this to their advantage. Whether it is worth the time and expense is going to be dependent on the quality of the deal. However from my observations the squatter occupied properties tend to be in lower barrier markets and I wouldn't personally want to spend my time and effort trying to create value in such neighborhoods.

BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!

User Stats

Votes
Dan Powers
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Philadelphia, PA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Philadelphia, PA
Replied

@Autumn Kim There are certainly a done of deals on the MLS that look great until you read the remarks and see "no access, do not approach, squatter occupied", etc. In Philadelphia I would check with the seller or agent if they have a lease, if they do a standard eviction can take anywhere from 3-6 months to go through the great court system we have. If not you will need to go through an ejectment which can take anywhere from 6-9 months from my experience. Like @Stuart Udis said, most of the time its more cost and time effective to do cash for keys and throw a few grand to hopefully vacate so you can change the locks.

User Stats

Votes
Jacopo Iasiello
  • Investor
  • Miami Beach, FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Miami Beach, FL
Replied

The cost and timeframe for evicting squatters can vary depending on various factors, including the complexity of the case, local legal procedures, and the squatters' cooperation. It's essential to budget for potential legal fees, court costs, and other expenses associated with the eviction process.