Are SFH rentals viable in San Antonio?

Are SFH rentals viable in San Antonio?

Member since 2023 · 6 posts · 1 vote

With rents seemingly being lower than national averages how have you made SFH work for long term rentals in San Antonio? What helps in the most in creating cash flow; location, loan program, etc? TIA

0Reply
49 views

Most Popular Reply

Jordan MoorheadBusiness Member
Real Estate Agent · Austin, TX · Member since 2015 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
3y

@Nathan Mabery I've found it to be difficult to find in decent areas unless I do a significant rehab

See this reply in the discussion

11 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Brad LarsenPro Member
    Property Manager · San Antonio and Austin, TX · Member since 2016 · 377 posts · 380 votes
    3y

    @Nathan Mabery Absolutely, with population growth year over year, military, etc. SA and surrounding areas are prime locations for investments in SFR's.

    All the best,

    Brad

  • Hamp Lee IIIPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 832 votes
    3y

    There are opportunities for success with SFHs in San Antonio.

    I would love to discuss further on a call.

    I wish you all the best.

  • Real Estate Agent · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2016 · 67 posts · 58 votes
    3y

    @Nathan Mabery I always recommend really digging into the market and sub-markets to make these sorts of analyses. Real estate is so hyper local and going off things happening nationally just aren't going to give you the clearest picture of what's happening in your chosen market. 

    For example: We're entering peak rental time and I have a 4-unit building with a vacancy coming up. Now, national averages may be down, but when I'm running numbers for my area, I'm seeing another increase over last year's averages. So, I'll be able to comfortably add another $50/month or $600/year in cashflow via that unit's market price.

    As for your question, it's just going to depend on location - primarily. Other than that, it could be some upgraded finish outs or features or possibly a mix of various lease lengths with furnishings, etc. 

  • Jordan MoorheadBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Austin, TX · Member since 2015 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y

    @Nathan Mabery I've found it to be difficult to find in decent areas unless I do a significant rehab

  • Member since 2023 · 6 posts · 1 vote
    3y

    Thank you all for commenting! I look forward to connecting with you all and hopefully doing business in the near future

  • Developer · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2019 · 176 posts · 81 votes
    3y

    San Antonio has a strong rental market with regular influx of people. You have to get creative if you want higher than usual cash flow like offering fully furnished rentals or doing STRs or providing homes to insurance agencies and such

  • Basit SiddiqiBusiness Member
    Accountant · New York, NY · Member since 2015 · 8k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y

    San Antonio is unable to demand monthly rents as other larger markets. However, the price point to get into the market is also much less.

    I question is whether these numbers meet your needs.
    In my opinion, I think the cash on cash return in San Antonio is higher than most other markets.

  • Member since 2019 · 26 posts · 7 votes
    3y

    Hi Brad! I’ve got a home for sell in SA and looking for a penalty box buyer. 

    Someone who can’t qualify for a traditional bank loan. 

    Let me know if you have anyone in your network. We offer a $500 referral fee!

  • Member since 2022 · 75 posts · 42 votes
    3y

    If you want a large cash flow in year one, San Antonio is probably not the best market for that in terms of LTR. Most of our team's investor clients chose San Antonio because they are focusing and investing here more for rent growth and property appreciation over the course of 5-10 years. If you want more cash flow you could consider STR as those are still performing well here.

  • Realtor · San Antonio · Member since 2023 · 7 posts · 6 votes
    3y

    Very.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.