Rising prices are crushing my 1% Rule Strategy, Any thoughts ?

Rising prices are crushing my 1% Rule Strategy, Any thoughts ?

Member since 2019 · 10 posts · 2 votes

I am a fix and hold investor.  In my market, the prices are going up so fast that I can't seem to make a competitive bid for a property.  I follow the 1% rule where I am willing to spend $100k on a house that rents for $1k/mo.  The houses on the market now are sold within the week and there is either poorly executed flips or fixer-uppers.  The flippers are snatching up the fixer uppers.  I want to add one more rental to my portfolio before August.  Can expect the following:

1) The flippers are buying so they can have something on the market by May?

2) The prices are rising too fast and I should raise my price a bit and hope the rental market catches up? If so, is there any rules of thumb?

3) There are plenty of empty houses in my town, should I be contacting these owners to see if I can get a private deal?

4) Should I build something from scratch?  I there any resources around that I can use to get the financials right?  I can handle the actual construction.

0Reply
33 views

Most Popular Reply

Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
4y
Quote from @Marcus Auerbach:

Don't get too hung up on the 1% rule - it's just a rule of thumb. Keep in mind the 1% rule has been arround when interest rates were double digit. 

I have bought lots of houses that were more in the 0.7% to 0.9 range over the last years and they are all doing great. When you run numbers you'll find that higher price points are a little more tollerant.

And yes, number 3!


 have to factor in rising rents.. what is .07%   5 years from now is 1.2  

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    4y

    number 3

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    4y

    Forget the 1% rule (and the other rules).  Run the actual numbers.  The 1% "rule" is too subjective.  Just look at property taxes. On a $250K property they can be $2500/yr in one area and in another they are $1500/yr.  Those are close to the actual numbers for two of my properties in different area though the house prices are a bit different-the one with the lower taxes is now assessed over $150K more than the one with the higher taxes.

  • Investor · Milwaukee - Mequon, WI · Member since 2010 · 5k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    4y

    Don't get too hung up on the 1% rule - it's just a rule of thumb. Keep in mind the 1% rule has been arround when interest rates were double digit. 

    I have bought lots of houses that were more in the 0.7% to 0.9 range over the last years and they are all doing great. When you run numbers you'll find that higher price points are a little more tollerant.

    And yes, number 3!

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Marcus Auerbach:

    Don't get too hung up on the 1% rule - it's just a rule of thumb. Keep in mind the 1% rule has been arround when interest rates were double digit. 

    I have bought lots of houses that were more in the 0.7% to 0.9 range over the last years and they are all doing great. When you run numbers you'll find that higher price points are a little more tollerant.

    And yes, number 3!


     have to factor in rising rents.. what is .07%   5 years from now is 1.2  

  • Member since 2019 · 10 posts · 2 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Theresa Harris:

    Forget the 1% rule (and the other rules).  Run the actual numbers.  The 1% "rule" is too subjective.  Just look at property taxes. On a $250K property they can be $2500/yr in one area and in another they are $1500/yr.  Those are close to the actual numbers for two of my properties in different area though the house prices are a bit different-the one with the lower taxes is now assessed over $150K more than the one with the higher taxes.


     I run RIO, Cash-In-Hand, and 1% Rule on all of my properties before I buy.  I like this commentary as I am going to revisit my old calculations and see how good they were at estimating my returns.  Thanks for the insight.

  • Member since 2019 · 10 posts · 2 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Marcus Auerbach:

    Don't get too hung up on the 1% rule - it's just a rule of thumb. Keep in mind the 1% rule has been arround when interest rates were double digit. 

    I have bought lots of houses that were more in the 0.7% to 0.9 range over the last years and they are all doing great. When you run numbers you'll find that higher price points are a little more tollerant.

    And yes, number 3!


     I had never stopped and questioned the assumptions of the 1% Rule. Thank you for the 0.7-09% range.  I am going to revisit some of the properties on the market and sharpen my pencil.  Thank you.

  • Member since 2019 · 10 posts · 2 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Jay Hinrichs:
    Quote from @Marcus Auerbach:

    Don't get too hung up on the 1% rule - it's just a rule of thumb. Keep in mind the 1% rule has been arround when interest rates were double digit. 

    I have bought lots of houses that were more in the 0.7% to 0.9 range over the last years and they are all doing great. When you run numbers you'll find that higher price points are a little more tollerant.

    And yes, number 3!


     have to factor in rising rents.. what is .07%   5 years from now is 1.2  


     I had known that rents rise but I never internalized that they would be so fast.  Thanks.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.