Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
Questions About BiggerPockets & Official Site Announcements
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Mindy Jensen
Pro Member
  • BiggerPockets Money Podcast Host
  • Longmont, CO
Votes |
Ep 276: Early Retirement by Age 35 ($10k/mo) Through Real Estate

Mindy Jensen
Pro Member
  • BiggerPockets Money Podcast Host
  • Longmont, CO
ModeratorPosted Apr 27 2018, 07:04

Why work at a lame job until you’re too old to enjoy the life you’ve been given? If you are looking to get out of the rat race earlier, this is one episode you can’t afford to miss. Today on The BiggerPockets Podcast, we sit down with Bryce Stewart, a former school teacher who was able to quit his job at age 35 through the smart purchases of small multifamily properties. Bryce shares his powerful story on how he was able to build a portfolio of 22 units that give him $10,000 per month in income. Bryce also shares a phenomenal concept he called “vacuuming the truck,” which could change the way you think about real estate (and life) forever.

Listen here or on your favorite podcast app.

User Stats

Votes
Hunter Latta
  • Irvine, CA
Votes |
  • Irvine, CA
Replied Apr 27 2018, 09:18

Great podcast, inspirational for those that “don’t have funds” and “can’t find deals”. Vacuum the truck!

User Stats

Votes
Jeff White
Agent
  • Realtor
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
Agent
  • Realtor
  • Denver, CO
Replied Apr 27 2018, 10:10

Awesome podcast and very inspiring story.  Haha, I love "vacuum the truck!"  

I definitely don't think he is an idiot. He is a humble guy. He is like most of us in that we don't know about all of these opportunities with multifamily, FHA or conventional financing or using other peoples money. They don't teach that stuff in schools. He is a very bright guy and look how far he is now. Something that we can all shoot for as we aim to get to financial freedom.

BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!

User Stats

Votes
Jason Howell
  • Petaluma, CA
Votes |
  • Petaluma, CA
Replied Apr 27 2018, 11:17
The "vacuum the truck" stinger at the beginning had me scratching my head at first but it all came together in the episode and it's such a valuable lesson! One question I have is about Bryce's experience funding his deal with his family's HELOCs. What kind of terms we're associated with that? Obviously you are doing THEM a favor cause you are bringing them in on the deal, but let's say you only have their money for six months before you refi and pay them back. In the interim, what would you pay your family for the borrowed money? 5%? More cause it's family? What's both fair and enticing? Really, this a question for anyone.

User Stats

Votes
Hunter Latta
  • Irvine, CA
Votes |
  • Irvine, CA
Replied Apr 27 2018, 14:16

@Jason Howell Paying family is tricky. If you were in his shoes, what would you do? 

User Stats

Votes
Mark S.
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Kentucky
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Kentucky
Replied Apr 27 2018, 15:28

#VacuumTheTruck

User Stats

Votes
Derrick E.
  • Investor
  • The Creek, WV
Votes |
  • Investor
  • The Creek, WV
Replied Apr 27 2018, 15:51

First podcast I have ever listened to and I really enjoyed it!

User Stats

Votes
Jason Howell
  • Petaluma, CA
Votes |
  • Petaluma, CA
Replied Apr 27 2018, 16:56
Originally posted by @Hunter Latta:

@Jason Howell Paying family is tricky. If you were in his shoes, what would you do? 

I mean, I fully realize this is the kind of thing that is different for everyone... what makes sense to one person when crafting a deal with their family is different from another. I'm just curious to know where that landed in this case, to get a sense of the whole picture.

As for me, I don't know... It's a short term loan and it's giving them SOMETHING for their equity that is currently earning them nothing... 5-7%? But honestly, knowing my parents they'd probably offer it as a straight loan with no incentive. (I'd do it anyway)

User Stats

Votes
Mike Taravella
  • Knoxville, TN
Votes |
  • Knoxville, TN
Replied Apr 27 2018, 18:14

The day before listening to this I was afraid of what steps to take to get involved in my first multifamily deal. After the episode I'm on here looking for SEC lawyers to get more acquainted with what I need to do to set up a PPM. Will never forget to vacuum the truck!

User Stats

Votes
William Gersitz
  • Investor
  • Buffalo, NY
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Buffalo, NY
Replied Apr 28 2018, 04:52

Another great podcast

User Stats

Votes
Andrew C.
  • Cambridge, MA
Votes |
  • Cambridge, MA
Replied Apr 28 2018, 14:34

As everyone has mentioned, i loved the vacuum the truck analogy. It is all about taking the steps in the right direction.  You cannot get overwhelmed with the big picture, have a visions and take the small steps toward it.

Bryce has a great motivational tone during this podcast. I think he should look into telling his story as a motivational speaker. I was wired after hearing his conversation. 

Thanks for another great podcast!

User Stats

Votes
Shane Ward
  • Albrightsville, PA
Votes |
  • Albrightsville, PA
Replied Apr 28 2018, 15:20

My favorite podcast so far. I have a little bit different reason than most for loving it. I set out with the exact same goal as Bryce (to make 10k a month from MFP).  I live in the Bethlehem area and have been looking to get started in this area. To hear all the positives about it and that there are deals was really inspiring for me personally. I have not had much luck finding any deals yet but i am going to dig deeper now ("Vacuum the Truck") . My issue is really about finding deals more than the money. I am 50 years old and lost all my retirement money in the crash. I now have 30k in cash and 180k in equity in my PR. Now I need to scale quickly but dont have the years to rebuild if things go wrong. In other words, I am paralyzed by analysis. 

User Stats

Votes
Nick Tzenevrakis
  • Quincy, IL
Votes |
  • Quincy, IL
Replied Apr 28 2018, 18:29

Another awesome Podcast. 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Amanda Olvera
  • Kansas City, MO
Votes |
  • Kansas City, MO
Replied Apr 28 2018, 18:35

I think I’ve listened to all of the BP podcasts and this one resonated with me most. As a teacher myself, I could identify with Bryce in so many ways. And I agree with other posters, he should consider motivational speaking! He is a brilliant communicator and has an inspiring and educational message!

I actually plan to use this with a mini-unit I’m planning for my HS juniors. Kids need more information about personal finance and FI at an early age. Wish someone had exposed me to some of these principles at 17 instead of 37!

Nicely done, BP. And from one teacher to another, well done, Mr. Stewart!

User Stats

Votes
Benjamin Bleasdale
  • Contractor
  • Spencer, TN
Votes |
  • Contractor
  • Spencer, TN
Replied Apr 28 2018, 19:00

great episode. The concept of making $500/door is awesome as well. I was wanting to make $100. 

User Stats

Votes
Mark Hughes
  • Aurora, CO
Votes |
  • Aurora, CO
Replied Apr 28 2018, 19:27

Love it!

User Stats

Votes
Stephen Kunen
  • Bedminster, NJ
Votes |
  • Bedminster, NJ
Replied Apr 28 2018, 19:48

Where in Bethlehem are you buying Bryce? We live in Jersey and invest in Lehigh Valley. Very very very inspired by your story!

User Stats

Votes
Gualter Amarelo
  • Investor
  • Fall River, MA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Fall River, MA
Replied Apr 29 2018, 04:48
Great podcast, I've done many of the same techniques and at 32 am retired with $10k passive income $$$

User Stats

Votes
Replied Apr 29 2018, 04:53

Loved this episode. Very inspiring, especially coming out of college with little money saved!

User Stats

Votes
Milad Awadallah
  • Pompano Beach, FL
Votes |
  • Pompano Beach, FL
Replied Apr 29 2018, 16:29

Very happy to see that mental models are being overcome and creative solutions to barriers to entry are becoming systematized to help those who are a little weary have the same opportunities to be involved in the real estate world. 

User Stats

Votes
Mark Hughes
  • Aurora, CO
Votes |
  • Aurora, CO
Replied Apr 29 2018, 17:13

Awesome. We always called it FIO in the hotel management industry...meaning Figure It Out one step at a time. You may be over sold by 30 rooms one night and have housekeepers calling off sick and guest complaining about parking and paying for internet. But you just FIO or vacuum the truck!

User Stats

Votes
Joseph M.
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Apr 29 2018, 19:38

I liked this episode a lot more than I expected when I read the description. Mostly because Bryce achieved financial independence /retirement via real estate and he was making a modest salary in a one income household .

Many times we hear about the couple each making six figures at their jobs .

I definitely think he is a lot smarter than he claims to be too as others have said .

User Stats

Votes
Replied Apr 30 2018, 06:56

In regards to your question Shane, you are in a spot where a lot of us have been.  However, thake the time to get creative, like vacuuming the truck, but break your market down into price ranges and use the divide and conquer theory.  Dived and look at the price ranges and get to know about days on market and which agents specialize in what ranges.  Then do your own driving for dollars and utilice the things that get to know the market and then determine your income!  

You can determine the financial goals by taking the formula for every 50 leads you will have 20 motivated sellers and out of those 20 yow will make 5 offers and 1 should either be accepted or countered.

I hope this helps but keep listening to these creative podcasts.

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Shane Ward
  • Albrightsville, PA
Votes |
  • Albrightsville, PA
Replied Apr 30 2018, 07:05

Thanks for the advice Mel. I am in that process now. What I'm struggling with as far as deals go is finding the ones I can BRRRR. I don't want to wait to take the saved income and equity to buy more property. I really want to scale as quickly as possible. I am putting the work in and I know there are deals that I haven't jumped on just because I'm looking to hard for the perfect deal.

User Stats

Votes
Marilyn L.
  • New York, NY
Votes |
  • New York, NY
Replied Apr 30 2018, 08:22

I wish we had tools like this years ago. And the community too! It is possible if you plan it.

User Stats

Votes
Marilyn L.
  • New York, NY
Votes |
  • New York, NY
Replied Apr 30 2018, 08:26
Originally posted by @Shane Ward:

Thanks for the advice Mel. I am in that process now. What I'm struggling with as far as deals go is finding the ones I can BRRRR. I don't want to wait to take the saved income and equity to buy more property. I really want to scale as quickly as possible. I am putting the work in and I know there are deals that I haven't jumped on just because I'm looking to hard for the perfect deal.

Patience is the key Shane. Also pushing through. Most people give up at the last few feet. I want to give this podcast a listen but I am still figuring out how. What I do know though is that if you're patient and work hard the reward is there.