What's with Contractors that will not answer their phone or return calls?

What's with Contractors that will not answer their phone or return calls?

South Bend, IN · Member since 2014 · 318 posts · 156 votes

So I am looking for a new general contractor and/or subs to make sure I have a back-up and a back-up to the back-up if need be for my projects that need rehab.

I vet the ones that seem like a good fit from as many resources as I can find before I give them a call. I even look up the ones that have a Corp or LLC at the Secretary of State to see if they are legit, in good standing and how long they have been in existence (amazing that some are not in good standing but still doing business as usual but that is neither here no there).

Next, I give them a call. Some are small operations, others are moderately big. Some have been in business for decades with second generation owners, some are newer with only a few years in the business.

Without fail, the vast majority of my calls (70% plus) go straight to a voice message/voice mail system. I go ahead and leave a clear detailed message with my phone number, twice, in most cases and request a call back. I explain in my message that I have current projects and that I am looking for somebody to build a long term relationship with as a contractor for my future acquisitions.

Without fail, NONE of the ones that I leave messages for return the call......for over two weeks.

From the beginning of my search, I started a spreadsheet and a log to track who I called, when I called and what the result was.

Giving them the benefit of the doubt, I called the first batch again (the 70% non responders that did not return my first call) over two weeks later with a new project that I need bids on. This time, only 40% of actually picked up their phone on my second try.....over two weeks later. Again the vast majority of my calls go straight to a voice message/voice mail system where I leave another detailed message with my phone number and request a call back. Again, without fail, NONE of the ones that I leave messages for return the call......for over 6 days and counting.

I also called some new ones the same day I called back the first batch and I am now tracking those but.......the trend is the same for the new ones as well.

Of course, this exercise helps me eliminate those that I would never work with. I will not keep trying to contact them. 

It made me wonder though, is this kind of response/ non response typical with Contractors (small, medium or large operations) in other areas or am I alone in my experience?

0Reply
228 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
12y

@Account Closed it may be your message. Saying something vague like "I have some projects and then possibly other future projects" sounds like a lot of time wasted for the contractor.

This is what the contractor wants to hear. "hi my name is bob, I have a house on 123 main street that needs a new bathroom, please call me at 555-555-5555"

See this reply in the discussion

53 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Flipper/Rehabber · Elkhart, IN · Member since 2014 · 197 posts · 41 votes
    12y

    I like that payment brake down @Matthew Paul makes good sense. We have always went 50/50 or the thirds depended on size and account.  Have had to wait quite a few times on last draw. 

  • Member since 2018 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    8y

    The last thing anyone wants to hear is about building long-term relationships with a contractor.  We all know this to mean you want a lot of me and plan on paying me very little to nothing for free work or consultation.  The market is full of people who use this as a ploy to get us to jump and then it never happens.  I have yet to have anyone build a long-term relationship for me and use my time and time again.  it usually always goes to the lowest bid and loyalty left the scene twenty years ago.  Sorry. 

  • Contractor · Orlando, FL · Member since 2018 · 64 posts · 45 votes
    8y
    @Anthony M. I would personally say, I am a contractor and what sets us apart is our ability to always answer our phones and respond. Most contractors do all the work so they don’t answer because they have more work than they can handle by themselves. We don’t do the work ourselves. We leverage our crews, manage and oversee them, so we can focus on providing customer service. Look for a contractor who is a business minded person. Contractors who aren’t business minded are just loaded down with too much work. Hope that helps!
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.