Mortgage advice for an investment property owned by an LLC

Mortgage advice for an investment property owned by an LLC

Rental Property Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2018 · 73 posts · 22 votes

My first investment property was under my name and so was the mortgage. Everything was easy.

I put my second property under my LLC, with three other partners. We are almost done with renovations and now we are looking for refinancing options but I haven't had much luck.

Where should I be looking? What kind of loan do I need to search for? What kind of lenders do I need to contact?

I would appreciate any information that could help me find a good rate.

Thank you all in advance.

0Reply
17 views

Most Popular Reply

Lender · Vienna, VA · Member since 2021 · 61 posts · 33 votes
5y

Marsha,

If your first investment property was under your name, did you get a conventional 30-year fixed rate mortgage? Or did you get a 5-year fixed rate with a 25-year amortization?  This will help me answer your question. 

See this reply in the discussion

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Lender · Vienna, VA · Member since 2021 · 61 posts · 33 votes
    5y

    Marsha,

    If your first investment property was under your name, did you get a conventional 30-year fixed rate mortgage? Or did you get a 5-year fixed rate with a 25-year amortization?  This will help me answer your question. 

  • Stephanie P.Pro Member
    Washington, DC Mortgage Lender/Broker · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y

    @Terri Wyzkoski and @Marsha Rost

    DSCR lending would work for those type properties. 30 year fixed is readily available and rates are in the 4's with a couple of points depending on the loan size. You can close either in an LLC or your personal name. With Fannie/Freddie tightening their portfolio percentages, DSCR or asset based lending has exploded.

    Lots of brokers here on BP

    Stephanie

  • Lender · Vienna, VA · Member since 2021 · 61 posts · 33 votes
    5y

    @Stephanie P.  I see what you're saying if she's financing on a conventional basis.  But if she's financing with a commercial loan, she can actually get a 5-year fixed rate right now in the mid-3% range with a 25-year amortization with appropriate income to service the debt, and if personal credit, liquidity, and net worth are strong.  Yes, I've seen lot of brokers.  I enjoy the collaboration.

  • Stephanie P.Pro Member
    Washington, DC Mortgage Lender/Broker · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Terri Wyzkoski:

    @Stephanie P.  I see what you're saying if she's financing on a conventional basis.  But if she's financing with a commercial loan, she can actually get a 5-year fixed rate right now in the mid-3% range with a 25-year amortization with appropriate income to service the debt, and if personal credit, liquidity, and net worth are strong.  Yes, I've seen lot of brokers.  I enjoy the collaboration.

    Conventional rates are close to DSCR rates right now; not conventional. No income verification, commercial, 30 year fixed with a loan amount as low as $75,000. Would love to get together with you to see if we can work with your turn downs under 1M.

  • Rental Property Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2018 · 73 posts · 22 votes
    5y

    @Terri Wyzkoski

    It was an ARM

  • Rental Property Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2018 · 73 posts · 22 votes
    5y

    @Stephanie P.

    What's DSCRS?

  • Rental Property Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2018 · 73 posts · 22 votes
    5y

    @Terri Wyzkoski

    Would you be able to please recommend some of those brokers you have worked with?

  • Rental Property Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2018 · 73 posts · 22 votes
    5y

    @Stephanie P.

    Thanks. I would love to get more information from you

  • Stephanie P.Pro Member
    Washington, DC Mortgage Lender/Broker · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Marsha Rost:

    @Stephanie P.

    What's DSCRS?

    Debt Service Coverage Ratio. It's the ratio between the mortgage payment and the rents. If the rent covers 100% of the mortgage, the DSCR is 1.0. If a mortgage payment is $1000 per month and the rent is $1200, then the DSCR is considered 1.2 1.2 is considered a decent DSCR for most lenders in this space.

  • Lender · Vienna, VA · Member since 2021 · 61 posts · 33 votes
    5y

    @Marsha Rost. I’ll send you a PM.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.