Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Mortgage Brokers & Lenders
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Joseph Sheahan
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
Private Lender Terms for STRs

Joseph Sheahan
  • Chicago, IL
Posted

Does anyone have any experience with raising private money for STRs? I'm looking for a framework of terms and structure for this scenario. I have found a good amount of info on what that would look like with flips, but not for STRs. Also, does/can this work with only raising part of the money via private money and the rest via a DSCR loan? Thanks in advance!

User Stats

Votes
Robin Simon
Pro Member
#1 Private Lending & Conventional Mortgage Advice Contributor
  • Lender
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Private Lending & Conventional Mortgage Advice Contributor
  • Lender
  • Austin, TX
Replied
Quote from @Joseph Sheahan:

Does anyone have any experience with raising private money for STRs? I'm looking for a framework of terms and structure for this scenario. I have found a good amount of info on what that would look like with flips, but not for STRs. Also, does/can this work with only raising part of the money via private money and the rest via a DSCR loan? Thanks in advance!

DSCR Loans are typically great for STR purchases - however, DSCR Lenders are going to require at least some "skin in the game" - so won't be able to have a 2nd lien for the down payment. However - DSCR Loans are "LLC friendly" so can raise that capital through a partnership/LLC format.

This article published here on BP may help - sharing it here:

Short-Term Rental Loans: What Are the Options and How Do DSCR Loans Stack Up?

https://www.biggerpockets.com/blog/short-term-rental-loans-a...

User Stats

Votes
Zach Edelman
  • Lender
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Austin, TX
Replied

A good option might be a hard money loan for the front end at high leverage (15, 10, or at most 20% down) and then adding value and pulling out equity via a DSCR cash-out refinances qualified with AirDNA projections.

BiggerPockets logo
PassivePockets is here!
|
BiggerPockets
Find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Ko Kashiwagi
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied

Hi Joseph,

You'd have to front at least 15-20% down on the DSCR. You could do a low money down with a short term financing to rehab, then refinance. That way you don't front a lot of cash

User Stats

Votes
Dustin Lauer
Lender
  • Lender
  • Orlando, FL
Votes |
Lender
  • Lender
  • Orlando, FL
Replied

@Joseph Sheahan

I can speak to the refinance portion: As long as a guarantor with good credit has at least 25% ownership refinancing should be an issue. Short term rentals usually price best 65-70% loan to value but if the cash flow is very strong to support a higher rate up to 80% is still possible these days (not common though).

Best of luck.

• Lender FL (#366951)

FidusFi Logo