Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Real Estate Agent
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Charanjit Singh
  • Edison, NJ
Votes |
Investing in Carbondale Illinois

Charanjit Singh
  • Edison, NJ
Posted Nov 3 2017, 13:27
I am exploring Carbondale IL for multi family Investment and lookin for some feedback.  I know area around SIU may be something to look into. Are there any other specific areas/pockets I should focus on for strong rental demand or avoid for that matter ?  I am also looking for Brokers and property managers who are actively working in Carbondale. Any references will be helpful.

User Stats

Votes
Erik Perks
  • Herrin, IL
Votes |
  • Herrin, IL
Replied Nov 7 2017, 19:15

@Charanjit Singh I live in the area again and I am familiar with some of the locations and properties.    Send me a PM if you want me to do anything for you here locally.  I can track down a few property managers pretty quick and know some 40+ units for sale if you are looking that big (use reddfin). 

Areas are tough because enrollment is down and they have built several large new 200+ unit complexes in the last few years.  

User Stats

Votes
Stephen Schott
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Cape Girardeau, MO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Cape Girardeau, MO
Replied Nov 10 2017, 09:46

@Erik Perks I am also interested in the Carbondale market and looking at a few deals. I come from Cape Girardeau area and have been invested here for a few years now. What would you say the vacancy in Carbondale area hovers around?

PropStream logo
PropStream
|
Sponsored
Nationwide property data Use our robust, multi-sourced data to find off-market properties and close your next deal.

User Stats

Votes
Erik Perks
  • Herrin, IL
Votes |
  • Herrin, IL
Replied Nov 10 2017, 10:27

Stephen I can’t quantify that very easily with the information I get to but I would say with decreased in enrollment and increases in number of available units.

Any way you want me to help quantify that to arrive at a %?

Erik

User Stats

Votes
Mike H.
  • Manteno, IL
Votes |
  • Manteno, IL
Replied Nov 10 2017, 11:58

Most of the colleges here in Illinois have seen a decrease in enrollment. Everyone has been scared the crazy state was never going to put a budget together and eventually the schools were going to have to shut down because they had no money coming in.

So this may very well be a good time to buy as some landlords in college towns may have seen a decrease in vacancy and might be spooked.  It would seem logical that enrollment will pick back up again now that we're operating under a budget. And that may be enough of a blip to pick up some really nice deals.

User Stats

Votes
George Skidis
Pro Member
  • Belleville, IL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Belleville, IL
Replied Nov 11 2017, 06:25

Welcome to Southern Illinois. We meet 10 miles away on the second Tuesday of the month.

Illinois REIA Logo

User Stats

Votes
Erik Perks
  • Herrin, IL
Votes |
  • Herrin, IL
Replied Nov 17 2017, 04:37

@Stephen Scott I may not have been able to help with a true vacancy rate but if there is anything I can being local to Carbondale let me know.

User Stats

Votes
Prashanth Sundar
  • Central New Jersey
Votes |
  • Central New Jersey
Replied May 7 2019, 08:44

This thread is an year old but hoping to get some replies. 

I am seeing a lot of MF up for sale from Carbondale. Is there any specific reason that a large inventory is up in the market.

@Charanjit Singh Did you end up buying anything in Carbondale. How did your experience turn out.

Would love to connect with you and learn from your experience. I live around Edison as well.

User Stats

Votes
Tane Owens
  • Las Vegas, NV
Votes |
  • Las Vegas, NV
Replied Oct 10 2019, 16:27

@Erik Perks

Hey Erik. Im knocking the dust off this old post. As a local of the area, do you have any good experiences or recommendations for local lenders in or around Carbondale. I have a lead on a nicely performing and off-market SFH near the SIU School of Law and would like to make a move if possible.

Thanks in advanced!

Cheers,

Tane

User Stats

Votes
Replied Aug 31 2020, 12:36

Are any of the people who posted here still investors in southern Illinois?

User Stats

Votes
Stephen Jones
  • Illinois
Votes |
  • Illinois
Replied Jul 19 2021, 08:10

BP,

Pulling this thread back up. I am considering investing in Carbondale. Can someone enlighten me on why the market is a little cheaper? Why there seems to be quite of multifamily units for sale? My guess is because new and improved buildings have been built? I feel like the old multifamily properties vacancy rates are very high? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jul 19 2021, 09:19

@Stephen Jones. We are investors in Carbondale. You’re correct there are newer multi family buildings that have caused the other ones to be less attractive. Taxes are high in Carbondale. Enrollment was down at our university the last few years. This year is the first year that we’ve had a positive enrollment. The Southern Illinois area is fairly impoverished. Or median income is $20k. 
that being said, the neighboring town of Marion is booming. Carbondale real estate has always been extremely cyclical. We’re on a downward swing where people are moving out. Which cause the housing prices to drop dramatically. Which causes investors to come in and buy them up and clean out the properties, which cause people to move back in. We are running numbers on two different deals right now in Carbondale. Let me know if you would like to connect. 
we have not had trouble keeping our properties rented in Carbondale. It really is the clientele. We shoot for young working professionals, or grad students

User Stats

Votes
Replied Nov 10 2021, 11:13

Are there any investors in Carbondale, Il who have experience with short-term rentals?

CV3 Financial logo
CV3 Financial
|
Sponsored
Fix & Flip | DSCR | Construction Loans Up to 90% LTV - Up to 80% Cash Out - No Income Verification - No Seasoning Requirements

User Stats

Votes
Eliyahou Gronstein
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Jan 31 2024, 20:41

@Erik Perks hi are you still involved in the real estate in carbondale

User Stats

Votes
Silas Obasi
  • Investor
  • Washington, DC
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Washington, DC
Replied May 18 2024, 16:07

Hello fellow investors, I'm thinking about investing in Carbondale, any new insights, etc.? Thanks!!