Sell flip myself or have friend/realtor list it?

Sell flip myself or have friend/realtor list it?

Investor · Twin Cities, MN · Member since 2015 · 130 posts · 111 votes

Hello BP,

Would like to get your opinion on a situation I am in.

I am currently flipping a house that will be a turn key ready product in a great neighborhood. The inventory in this area is (like everywhere else) very low. I believe it will have buyers ready to make an offer once available because I will price it slightly under market value at $175,000. I got this property directly from the seller thru direct mail.

I do not have my license but I know that I could market the property myself (flyers posted locally and craigslist) and try to secure a buyer. That is my plan while we are doing the renovations. I want to build a list of potential buyers and then when the renovations are complete, I can have an open house for these people and they would get first shot at it. I would be saving $10,500 by selling direct to buyer.

If I don't find a legitimate buyer with that plan, then I will list the property with my realtor who has also been a long time friend. I have told him this and he understands where I am coming from. 

Here is where it gets tricky:

- I also know a lot of other realtors in the area that perhaps have buyers for this home. Should I reach out to them and offer to pay 3% commission if they bring a buyer to me? I feel my friend would be upset with me if I did that, but in all seriousness its about the bottom here. Saving the listing 3% would be $5,250!

What would you do in this situation?

Thanks BP!

0Reply
43 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · Tampa, FL · Member since 2016 · 131 posts · 47 votes
10y

Chances are the FSBO buyer wants to save commission too... So your net savings might be negligible and while your hassling with selling the property... You could be out finding another deal.

It all comes down to what is the best use of your time. 

See this reply in the discussion

14 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Tampa, FL · Member since 2016 · 131 posts · 47 votes
    10y

    Chances are the FSBO buyer wants to save commission too... So your net savings might be negligible and while your hassling with selling the property... You could be out finding another deal.

    It all comes down to what is the best use of your time. 

  • Developer · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 904 votes
    10y
    Charlie John in a hot market we list our flips ourself through a flat fee MLS (costs about $100-300) Think about staging (though that price point is low) and get professional pics. Get great visibility and we have sold in 3 days to 30 days if priced correctly. Get some broker opinions when rehab is close to complete.
  • Vanno VongPro Member
    Real Estate Broker · Lynnwood, WA · Member since 2016 · 5 posts · 3 votes
    10y

    The best way to market your property is to get it on the MLS. As @Percy N. said you can probably use a flat fee listing company and save yourself the listing agent fee. Also if you want to sell your home quick and get the most exposure you will definitely want to offer a buyers agent commission since 90% of the buyers out there do work with agents and if you don't offer a reasonable commission then you would close your door to 90% of those buyers, which you can potentially be losing the chance to get higher offers or even enter into a multi-offer situation.

  • Investor · Twin Cities, MN · Member since 2015 · 130 posts · 111 votes
    10y

    thanks for the replies @Vanno Vong @Percy N. and @Robert Wilson  

    I agree with everyone's comments. My real question is: Is it bad etiquette to tell your realtor they have the listing but then go try to sell it yourself and one of those strategies is calling other agents that might have buyers? Yes I would pay the buyers agent a 3% commission. 

    I told my realtor I plan to sell it before we finish renovations by fsbo. I did not say that I would call other agents to inform them of the property and that if they have a buyer, please bring an offer. I just thought about the option now. 

    If I didn't get any luck with those methods, then I would list on MLS thru him.

    Is that bad etiquette? It's my friend but hey it's real money on the line too. Let me know 

  • Developer · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 904 votes
    10y

    @Charlie John, I thought your agent friend agreed for you to market it. To me, that includes listing it on MLS via a flat fee provider, since they do not provide any other services.

    If you feel uncomfortable with that (and only you can tell since it is your friend and you had the discussion), then list it on Zillow, Craigslist, etc and say you will work with buyer agents.

    Alternatively, you can ask your friend to list it for a flat fee, but don't ask them to do showings, fill forms, negotiations, etc, etc.

    Offer the buyer's agent 2.5% . If that does not get many showings, bump it to 3%

  • Vanno VongPro Member
    Real Estate Broker · Lynnwood, WA · Member since 2016 · 5 posts · 3 votes
    10y

    @Charlie John I think that's something you need to discuss with your friend about and come to a understanding. You definitely don't want to ruin any relationship so just be straight forward with him. Let him know that you want to have a chance to sell it with the plan you mentioned and if it doesn't work out then you'll have him list it.

  • Investor · Twin Cities, MN · Member since 2015 · 130 posts · 111 votes
    10y

    Thanks guys!! 

  • Realtor · Lafayette, LA · Member since 2011 · 296 posts · 175 votes
    10y

    If your friend is a top agent, then list w him. Sometimes listing flat fee does more harm than good to your house and top agents still won't show bc it's Fsbo. Use the time you save to find more deals 

  • Real Estate Broker · Fort Washington, MD · Member since 2012 · 83 posts · 9 votes
    10y

    Well Said- @Stephen Hundley and a few others. Flat fee is always considerable and Im sure your friend wont mind sharing any new leads that may come your way. As this is a marketing strategy for the both of you. Plus you could be out looking for home instead of conducting showing, making appointments for inspections, appraisals, title work etc. There is a low more that goes on behind the scenes then just placing a home on the market...... Buyers tend to get emotional too by having a lot to deal with and understand. I think its a good idea to have that barrier.

  • Buena Park, CA · Member since 2016 · 6 posts · 1 vote
    10y

    The MLS is definitely the best way to market your property.

    I believe the best option would be to go with an open listing as oppose to an exclusive right to sell. Which is probably what your friend will try to execute the contract under. An open listing is basically an option that reserves you the right to sell the property yourself. Your friend will still be able to list the property and other agents will still be able to present offers. In simpler terms, whomever the procuring cause is will be entitled to the commission.

    Hope this helps and good luck! 

  • John CasmonPro Member
    Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    @Charlie John A better approach would have been to tell your friend to bring you a buyer and he will get the full commission. Btw, you decide what the commission will be. Give him the first shot at bringing you a buyer, then open it to other agents to bring you a buyer with your last option being to list on the MLS with him.

    It's important for your friend to have an incentive to actively help you get it sold as opposed to just waiting for the listing. 

  • Durham, NC · Member since 2015 · 48 posts · 18 votes
    10y

    Personally, I would not recommend you listing with a friend - ever. It's bad to mix money and friendship because of situations exactly like this. Since you already discussed it with him, I would say you could list it online/MLS FSBO with 3% buyers commission (in a hot market that is probably enough for a sale) but would probably stop short of actually calling other agents to promote it that way. He will find you did that and might be offended.

    However, after this sale I would tell him that you don't like to mix business and friendship and that you will either FSBO in future or use another agent but will definitely refer him when anyone you know is looking for an agent.

  • Real Estate Agent · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2016 · 10 posts · 3 votes
    10y

    Hi @Charlie John

    I'm in San Diego, CA. Most agents who represent investors as buyers receive the re-list on the property but often times are willing to re-list it for a discounted commission. 

    For example, say I earn 2.5-3% when my investor client purchases a property and my commission is paid by the Seller (no money out of investors pocket to pay me). I may be willing to re-list for my investor at 1% to myself and 2.5% to the buyer's agent because I understand your profit margins and I didn't have to go out and search for the listing. However, there are expenses that I would not be willing to cover at 1%, like staging. 

    If I represented an investor on the buy side with the agreement that I would re-list the property and the investor decided not to use me for the re-list, I would be less likely to bring that investor the next deal I came across.

    It depends on what you had previously agreed to with your friend/agent.

    Best of luck!

  • Real Estate Agent · San Diego, CA · Member since 2015 · 16 posts · 7 votes
    10y

    You're an investor...that's your job and to keep that job you need to make as much as you can on each deal.  You are entitled to earn as much as possible because you're the one that did the work to get the property, you took the risk in buying it, and you should reap the greatest benefits for your efforts.  Don't concern yourself with a friend with a license, they are a dime a dozen (at least in California).  Did your friend offer you a significant discount on commission because of your friendship?  If not - you are putting more value on your friendship than your friend has.  As a real estate investor you need to make as much as you can on every deal because you don't know how big of a loss you will take on the next one.  You're occupation is hazardous, you deserve every cent you can get.

    Here is what I would do in a low inventory market: Make an email to promote the property, and offer a 2.5% commission to the buyer's broker. Take the opportunity to promote your brand while you're designing it. Send it to every agent in your area, post it on craigslist and call the most active agents in the area. If they have clients that are looking and they can't find something for them in the MLS, they have the opportunity to not only make a quick sale, but also look like a hero to their client. You may also pick up some other opportunities in the future because of the branding and phone calls.

    If none of that worked, then you probably are not really in as hot of a market as you thought, so you better get it into the MLS.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.