Downside to being an Agent/Investor vs Individual in Texas

Downside to being an Agent/Investor vs Individual in Texas

Real Estate Agent · Tomball, TX · Member since 2013 · 31 posts · 16 votes

I am thinking about getting my real estate license and was curious what are all of the downsides to being an investor and real estate agent in Texas?   I am already aware of the benefits of having your license but wanted to find out all the negatives.  What can you not do as an agent, that you can do as an individual?  Are there any situations that you have come into where you wished you where not an agent?

0Reply
19 views

Most Popular Reply

Greg H.Pro Member
Moderator
Broker/Flipper · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
10y

I have been an agent since 1989 and a Broker since 1993 and I have never had any pushback from a buyer or seller by disclosing that I am licensed. 

The access to MLS, ability to go see a house at my convenience and the ability to waive or collect commissions save me tens of thousands of dollars every year

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Allen, TX · Member since 2015 · 106 posts · 13 votes
    10y

    Not really. You just have to disclose you are a real estate agent. Only downside is the expense of maintaining a license. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Tomball, TX · Member since 2013 · 31 posts · 16 votes
    10y

    Thanks for your input @Gary Wong .  I am not really worried about the expense. What is the downside of disclosure?  Have you ever felt by having to disclose your a real estate agent that it has affected a deal?

  • Real Estate Broker · North Richland Hills, TX · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 607 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Chris B.:

    Are there any situations that you have come into where you wished you where not an agent?

    Every month when I pay my desk fees, and every time I have to pay MLS/Board of Realtor/CSS/license/etc. fees. I'm glad to have my license, but in the beginning it's just a black hole into which cash disappears.

  • Real Estate Agent · Allen, TX · Member since 2015 · 106 posts · 13 votes
    10y

    There is not a downside to disclosure. Being an agent will have the ability to research more about the property. If you lose a deal due to diclosing the fact you are an agent, it's probably a deal not worth having. 

  • Greg H.Pro Member
    Moderator
    Broker/Flipper · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y

    I have been an agent since 1989 and a Broker since 1993 and I have never had any pushback from a buyer or seller by disclosing that I am licensed. 

    The access to MLS, ability to go see a house at my convenience and the ability to waive or collect commissions save me tens of thousands of dollars every year

  • Real Estate Agent · Tomball, TX · Member since 2013 · 31 posts · 16 votes
    10y

    @Chris Soignier I understand what your saying regarding the expenses. The education costs, association fees, and license fees all add up, however, I am sure it is worth it.

  • Real Estate Agent · Tomball, TX · Member since 2013 · 31 posts · 16 votes
    10y

    @Gary Wong & @Greg H.Thanks for sharing your experience.  I couldn't see a downside to getting my license other than the additional expense and everyone's insight has confirmed it.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.