Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Real Estate Agent
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Jason King
  • Investor
  • Johnston, RI
Votes |
Part-time RE Agent

Jason King
  • Investor
  • Johnston, RI
Posted Nov 18 2014, 07:59

Good Morning BPers, 

A quick question for all of the more experienced investor/agents out there - has anyone started as a RE Agent while still holding a full-time job? I want to get my RE Agent license, but in my state you must work as an agent in order to gain the license/access to MLS. I am really not too interested in becoming a full-time agent, as my current full-time job has a much higher earning potential (at least to start), more looking for some supplemental experience/income and access to the MLS. Maybe this isn't the right route for me to achieve my goals, so I am open to suggestions. Any feedback you can provide would be much appreciated!

Jason

User Stats

Votes
Vonetta Booker
  • Investor
  • Stamford, CT
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Stamford, CT
Replied Jan 25 2015, 11:47

It's definitely possible to be a PT RE agent--as long as it fits with what your main goals are. It works for me because I don't do retail--I have my license primarily to buy/sell my own flips. It gives me access to the MLS to find, see & make offers on deals ASAP, and then I make/sell commission when buying/selling.

I think the ones who are pro-full time are usually the retail agents--which I can see, as they're working solely with retail buyers & sellers who need their services on a full-time basis.  It's just all about being aware of your own personal goals and what works for you.  Good luck! 

User Stats

Votes
Brian Huber
  • Investor Agent
  • Burke, VA
Votes |
  • Investor Agent
  • Burke, VA
Replied Feb 11 2015, 13:54

Hi.  I'm in a similar boat as the OP. I signed up to take the class and I hope it will help with finding deals and possibly accept clients on a limited basis. I have two questions:

-Once I sign up with NAR, will I have MLS access for all of the US? Or just the state(s) in which I'm licensed?

-It's sounding like being a Buyer's Agent is not possible to do part-time because you're shuttling buyers around to different houses. However, can it be done part-time if you're a listing agent?

Also, ideally, if I can close on one house a month and keep my full time job, I'd be in heaven.  I'd even be satisfied with one house a quarter. Is this realistic while holding a full-time job?

Thanks all!

Demo
Practice finding and analyzing deals
Tulsa, OK
$231,902 - Median Home Value
5.97% - YoY Rent Growth
$1,351 - Median Rental Income
0.58% - Rent/Price Ratio
4.56% - Appreciation
0.77% - Population Growth Rate
Find Deals

User Stats

Votes
Judy Parker
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Closter, NJ
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Closter, NJ
Replied Feb 11 2015, 14:17

@Jason King, I hold a full-time job and also my real estate license.  Like you, I don't want to give up the security of the regular paycheck and benefits, for the insecurity of a straight commission job.  After work hours I do my real estate investment and occasional real estate agent tasks.

User Stats

Votes
Dawn Brenengen
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Raleigh, NC
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Raleigh, NC
ModeratorReplied Feb 12 2015, 20:33

@Brian Huber you will join your local Realtor association in addition to the national association. It's through the local board that you will gain MLS access. It doesn't cover a whole state, just a small portion. My MLS covers the central part of NC, known as the Triangle.

You can be a part time buyer's or listing agent. Buyers are typically house hunting on the weekends, so that might fit your schedule. It's more lucrative to work with sellers, so I would focus there. 

I know full time agents who can't close one house a month. One house a quarter is probably realistic as a part timer. If you are a hard worker, great marketer and really passionate about RE, you could do better than average!