3 Words to eliminate from your language during negotiations

3 Words to eliminate from your language during negotiations

Member since 2020 · 59 posts · 24 votes

Happy Wednesday BP Family!

I read an article that talked about words to eliminate from your language during negotiations. Of course it made me think a bit further and I considered that maybe these are words we should be careful of using in life in general. I just wanted to share this with you all.

BUT. I feel like this is more commonly known, and I wanted to share anyway. When we say "but", we negate everything we said before the "but". Imagine if I said, "I really like your outfit, but your shirt clashes with the wash of your jeans." Would you believe I liked your outfit?

CAN'T. Those of us who grew up playing sports likely had coaches tell us we couldn't use the word can't. Can't can make you look weak and provide an excuse not to overcome challenges. It can also be ambiguous. If I say "I can't farm that neighborhood." Am I unable to farm it because, mail solicitation is illegal there? Do I just not want to? Is it not smart because it already "belongs" to another agent?

TRY. Try provides an excuse for failure. Plus, I believe Yoda said it best, "do or do not. There is no try."

Do you have advice regarding words and phrases to avoid or incorporate during real estate conversations?

1Reply
40 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Abel CurielBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Queens, NY · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Beliria Sims Thanks for sharing! Very insightful stuff... it reminds me of Chris Voss' book, never split the difference where he talks about the various ways to say "NO" without actually saying "NO".

    Some phrases to incorporate are "does that make sense?", "does that seem fair?", "if there was a way to (insert their pain points and how you can resolve them OR insert their desired outcome), would there be anything holding you back from moving forward?"

    Curious to see what other BP members have to say...

    REbuild Team - eXp Realty5234 Reviews
  • Joe VilleneuvePro Member
    Plymouth, MI · Member since 2013 · 13k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    6y

    Mine are three phrases.  I avoid all people I encounter that utter any of the three:

    1 - "It sounds too good to be true".  REASON:  I would rather hang around problem solvers than problem finders.
    2 - "It can't be done".  REASON:  See number 1
    3 - "..........".   REASON:  The answer to every question you don't ask is always the same...."no".  The answer to every question you do ask, can be either "no", or "yes"..so ask the da^^ question.

  • Member since 2020 · 59 posts · 24 votes
    6y

    @Abel Curiel Sounds like I need to get that book! I've heard those phrases and how to use them, but I'm sure the book is very insightful as well. I'm also curious as to what other members have to say...

  • Member since 2020 · 59 posts · 24 votes
    6y

    @Joe Villeneuve These are definitely things to look out for when having conversations. It could absolutely save a lot of time, effort, and energy. Not to mention, we want to work with people who are ready to work. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.