'New Kid on the Scene馃' : How do I impress my new mentor?

'New Kid on the Scene馃' : How do I impress my new mentor?

New to Real Estate 路 OK 路 Member since 2019 路 12 posts 路 4 votes

I have a commercial and property management internship under my belt. I have my plumbers license. I have verbal commitment from an investor to back my first RE deal.

I made this new connection this summer with the investor who is doing exactly what I want to do. I asked for this man to take my under his wing this winter and teach me all that he can.

He has two in-house renovation teams that I will work with. As well as taking me along to analyze properties and showing me how his spreadsheets work.

To all you Residential investors and hard money lenders: What would impress you most to see from a young, scrappy, and hungry individual? Certain books, certain websites, certain habits, certain licenses, certain friends, certain shows? Anything will help! Thanks in advance!

1Reply
24 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor 路 Member since 2018 路 15 posts 路 28 votes
6y

@Robert Lolofie learn about what his ideal investment property is and find him one. 

And use BP calculators to build out a report on some potential properties he's looking at (ask for the properties he's pursuing or currently working with, run the numbers and share / compare what you found vs his numbers). 

The most baller move though would be bringing him a deal that works for what he does.

Mentioned on the Podcast before - you need 2 out of these 3 things to be successful in real estate - knowledge, hustle, and capital. Demonstrate your hustle and build your knowledge... And capital will come!

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Specialist 路 Plano, TX 路 Member since 2020 路 2k+ posts 路 861 votes
    6y

    Impressive traits that speak highly of anyone are honesty, positivity, and being generally a good person. Of course you want to show them that you have great work ethic and that you are hungry, but overall, people invest in people. So show your mentor the high quality person that you are with you personal traits, and the rest will fall into place. Best of luck. 

  • Pittston, PA 路 Member since 2017 路 36 posts 路 12 votes
    6y

    Hi Robert,

    Marlen (above) makes an excellent point regarding impressive personal traits. But having been in your situation once before, I would take it a few steps further. #1). This might be said far too often in life, but just "be yourself" around your mentor. Show him you have real fire and passion and are willing to dive right in. Mentors often love to see newbie zeal. Sometimes, it makes them think back to when they had a mentor and reminds them of the passion and enthusiasm they initially had when they started out. #2). When I first met my mentor, I was just his student. I wanted to "impress him" so I created a website along with a brand new business. That really impressed him.  As luck would have it, he had been trying to start a similar business for years. My mentor finally ended up asking me to go into business with him. The rest is history. I hope this provides you with inspiration starting your career. Best wishes.

  • Real Estate Attorney & Investor 路 Greater NYC Area 路 Member since 2016 路 70 posts 路 48 votes
    6y

    All great advice above, but for me, it's work ethic. Your mentor wants to see your actions speak for you. Show your mentor that you are willing to figure things out without running back to him for every little thing. Act as if you already are the boss you want to be. Congrats to you for seizing your opportunities. 

  • Rental Property Investor 路 Member since 2018 路 15 posts 路 28 votes
    6y

    @Robert Lolofie learn about what his ideal investment property is and find him one. 

    And use BP calculators to build out a report on some potential properties he's looking at (ask for the properties he's pursuing or currently working with, run the numbers and share / compare what you found vs his numbers). 

    The most baller move though would be bringing him a deal that works for what he does.

    Mentioned on the Podcast before - you need 2 out of these 3 things to be successful in real estate - knowledge, hustle, and capital. Demonstrate your hustle and build your knowledge... And capital will come!

  • Joe S.Pro Member
    Investor 路 San Antonio 路 Member since 2020 路 3k+ posts 路 3k+ votes
    6y

    Make him money comes to mind. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.