Goal Retire at 26 (or at least have the option)

Goal Retire at 26 (or at least have the option)

Member since 2019 · 54 posts · 13 votes

Hello BiggerPockets! 

My name is Nicholas, I'm from Michigan and am currently a junior in college. I've set a goal of having the option to retire at 26 years old (or just before I turn 27). I would like to have $6,000/mo in passive income, or $72,000/year. I know there's people who need more, but I figure this is a goal I can attain and put me where I want to be. 

I think the best way to achieve this goal is by breaking down the goal into easy measurable steps. I'm a big believer in the stupid simple formula, meaning if it's not stupid simple it's not for me. 

Alright so I've done some research and I figure I can cashflow about $300/mo on a single-family house. I'm from Michigan and there's a lot of $100,000 houses renting for $1,100-1,250 dollars. It's a very good state for cash flow.

So my goal of 6000 (goal)/300 (cashflow per house) meaning  I need 20 single-family houses (or units) in order to achieve this goal. I'll give you a bit of background and then tell you how I plan on getting to this goal. I ask for help at the bottom of the page because I need help on how to hit the goal. 

Background: 

Credit Score: 737 (this will be around the same when I graduate and start purchasing properties)

Debt: $0 (this will be the same when I graduate and start purchasing properties)

Savings available to be utilized currently at age 20: $10,586

Expected savings at age 22 (roughly a month or two after I graduate and I start purchasing my first property): $15,586 

Estimated Earnings at age 22 after graduation: $55,000 (I'm willing to work a second job and a side hustle in order to get my income to this level). This is also fairly conservative I will most likely make $60,000-$65,000. 

Savings Rate: 70% of my gross income ($38,500/yr) can be saved, I'm a minimalist and I don't require hardly anything to survive. 

How I'll achieve this goal: (broken down by age): 

Age 22: 

I'll have roughly $15,586 dollars to invest a couple of months after I graduate. This doesn't give me enough to purchase a $100,000 house at 20% down. So my plan will be to use a Home possible loan (5% down) or an FHA loan if needed to purchase a duplex (which will cost around $150,000 which I can afford with 5% down with my savings). I will live in one unit, rent out the other, (househack) as well as have a roommate on my side in hopes of completely eliminating my housing expenses. It may even cashflow but this house is mainly just to allow me to increase my savings and I can rent it out when I leave for ideally $200/unit.

I should have saved $38,500. This will let me put 20% down a $100,000 property that will cash flow $300. A lot of properties will only require small fixes that should take under $3000 to do.  I will hire a property manager right away. Based on many houses I've analyzed in my area and in Michigan, in general, I can put 5% repairs, 7% vacancy, 5% Capital Expenditures, 10% property management and still come out with $300/mo cash flow at the end. I don't want to deal with tenants. My primary focus will be acquiring more properties and working up capital. Also, even if a house doesn't cash flow as expected, I could pay the entire mortgage off in two years which will guarantee its cashflow. 

Summarizing age 22: 

1 duplex I live in: Cashflow $0 

1 Single-family: $300/mo 

Total Cashflow: $300/mo 

Cash leftover: $11,500 =  $38,500-20,000 (downpayment) -3000 (repairs) - 3000 (closing costs) - 1000 (cash reserves to leave in account in case of emergency to cover 1 months rent) 

Age 23: 

After 6 months I'll have saved $19,250 dollars. Combined with my $15000 from the previous year I'll have a total of $30,750. This will be enough for another 100k house 20,000 down, 3000 repairs, 3000 closing costs and then $1000 reserves in case anything goes wrong This leaves me with $3,750. Nearing the end of the year I'll be able to ave another $19,250 added to my $3,750 for a total of $23,000.  I'll purchase another 100k house (I'm assuming I got a raise or something an I can dip into the $1000 reserves I set for the other properties as well as cashflow from the others.

Summarizing age 23:

1 duplex I live in: Cashflow $0

3 Single-family: 900/mo

Total Cashflow: $900/mo

Cash leftover: $0 

Age 24: 

By this time I'm making $10,800/yr cashflow off my rentals. I'm assuming I'm able to increase my savings to $40k/year from my income assuming even inflationary raises. This means I'll have $50,800 to invest throughout this year. This will allow me to purchase 2 100k properties that cashflow $300/mo, assuming the same formula as before 
I doubled it for simplicity. 

$50,800-40,000 (downpayment) -6000 (repairs) - 6000 (closing costs) - 2000 (cash reserves to leave in account in case of emergency to cover 1 months rent). I'm actually $3200 short but I'm going to assume I can either pull equity out of another home or sell something to make this happen considering it's not that much money. 

Summarizing age 24:

1 duplex I live in: Cashflow $0

5 Single-family: 1500/mo

Total Cashflow: $1500/mo

Cash leftover: $0


Age 25: 

I'll be cash flowing roughly $18,000/yr plus my savings of $40,000/yr. I'll have $58,000 to invest. I'll copy the same strategy I utilized for Age 24 and purchase two properties. This time however I will also use a cash-out refinance on a couple of properties, allowing me to purchase one more house. 

I doubled it for simplicity.

$58,000-40,000 (downpayment) -6000 (repairs) - 6000 (closing costs) - 2000 (cash reserves to leave in account in case of emergency to cover 1 months rent). $4000 leftover to help with the cash-out refinance if needed. 

Summarizing age 25:

1 duplex I live in: Cashflow $0

8 Single-family: 2400/mo

Total Cashflow: $2400/mo

Cash leftover: $0-$4000 (depending on if money is needed to help with cash-out refinance purchase)

Age 26: My cashflow is $28,800/yr. Added to my savings of $40,000/yr and I've got $68,800 to invest. This will be a critical moment. I will purchase two more single-family houses which will leave me with $14,800.

$68,800-40,000 (downpayment) -6000 (repairs) - 6000 (closing costs) - 2000 (cash reserves to leave in account in case of emergency to cover 1 months rent). 

I'll leave the duplex, rent out the other room I was living in which will bring the cash flow of the duplex to $400/mo ($200/unit). Then I'll purchase a triplex of fourplex for with an FHA loan 3.5% down (this will cost roughly $250,000-$300,000). At 3.5% (of 250k or 300k) + or - closing fees I'm looking at $12,000-$15,000. I'm assuming I can live in a unit for free with the other 3 tenants covering the mortgage and all expenses plus giving me $200/mo cashflow. If not I can get a roommate on my side, I actually like having company and have some friends who are responsible who would room for cheap.

Summarizing age 26:

1 duplex: Cashflow $400

10 Single-family: 3000/mo

1 fourplex I live in: 200/mo

Total Cashflow: $3600/mo

Cash leftover: $0-2000.

Where I need help: Some Questions I've got. 

That's my plan. As you can see I'm $2400 short on cashflow. I'm not sure how to close the gap. Maybe I could use more home equity or cash our refinance than I assume? Maybe I can somehow put less than 20% down for the properties? Would I put these In an LLC? Multiple LLC?

I think I was fairly conservative with my numbers, especially because I'm tucking away 27% for CapEx, repairs, Property Management, and vacancy. That might free up some cash. I also like tucking away the extra $1000 just in case **** hits the fan.

If I'm able to earn $60,000/yr+ I can get a bit closer, but still, I need help closing the gap. Either way, this $3600/mo is enough for me to retire on. As I stated above I'm a minimalist, but $6000/mo is where I want to be. 

If you have any advice let me know!

Sincerely, Nicholas 

1Reply
15 views

Most Popular Reply

Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
6y

big question is why do you want to retire.. and owning rentals is not retirement its a business .. remove that mind set right now.. 

See this reply in the discussion

15 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    6y

    big question is why do you want to retire.. and owning rentals is not retirement its a business .. remove that mind set right now.. 

  • Real Estate Consultant · USA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 751 votes
    6y

    My experience is that rentals never cash flow the way you expected them to. Using rentals as a replacement for income is one of the biggest lies out there. There are always some unexpected expenses such as windows, roofs, furnaces, vacancies, etc. Make sure you add estimates for management, maintenance/repairs, and vacancies in your cash flow projections. 

    The best plan for rentals to replace your income is to buy as many as you can over a 10 to 15 year period. At the end of this period sell off half of them and use that money to pay down the other half. Of course, there are a lot of variables that will influence your end result such as minimum appreciation, rents, etc.   

  • Real Estate Agent · Omaha, NE · Member since 2018 · 83 posts · 51 votes
    6y

    You will be able to buy way more properties if you go with smaller down-payments (3.5% FHA - 5% Conv. instead of 20% down) and house-hack them as you progress through college. You can afford 3.5% of the $100,000 property that you speak of today.

    I'm a junior in college as well, and I started my first house-hack in August. In a year, I'll be able to repeat the process with another SFH in my area. The house I'm in now will go to an actual family, and will cash-flow around $200/mo. I recommend looking into this strategy more, and then re-working your plan.

    You'll see that with the adjustment you'll have no problem hitting that income goal if you mix house-hacking progression with a couple of small multifamily deals/commercial apartment buildings. 

  • Member since 2019 · 54 posts · 13 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Brandon Frulla:

    You will be able to buy way more properties if you go with smaller down-payments (3.5% FHA - 5% Conv. instead of 20% down) and house-hack them as you progress through college. You can afford 3.5% of the $100,000 property that you speak of today.

    I'm a junior in college as well, and I started my first house-hack in August. In a year, I'll be able to repeat the process with another SFH in my area. The house I'm in now will go to an actual family, and will cash-flow around $200/mo. I recommend looking into this strategy more, and then re-working your plan.

    You'll see that with the adjustment you'll have no problem hitting that income goal if you mix house-hacking progression with a couple of small multifamily deals/commercial apartment buildings. 

    Okay. I think I'll have to do as many FHA loans as I can. A couple of househacks mixed in will make it more possible I believe!

  • Member since 2019 · 54 posts · 13 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Brandon Frulla:

     Could I get a loan right out of college? With limited essentially no experience?

  • Colleen F.Pro Member
    Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    6y

    @Nicholas Daniels Two thoughts 

    - The best laid plans can go awry.  

    - Its not "Passive " income even though you and the IRS think it is...

    I suggest you execute on year one and see how you like landlording before you plan too much. 

  • Specialist · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2012 · 865 posts · 351 votes
    6y

    @Nicholas Daniels you didn’t mention a family in the future. If you plan on a family you will need more funds per month. 

    I liked the way you laid out the plan, but I don’t see how you can live that cheap in order to save. If you can live that way and save good, but not likely.

  • Member since 2019 · 54 posts · 13 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    I think I can. This assumes I only make 55k which is unlikely. I'm also a minimalist and I can live on 10k or under. 

  • Member since 2019 · 54 posts · 13 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:

    I want to retire because I'd like to travel and explore. I also didn't say I wanted to retire, but rather have the option to do so. 

    As far as it being a retirement play, it is. Real estate can be passive. In the beginning it's not, but there's no reason to work harder than one has to. If you want to manager your own properties, that's fine. But I'd rather focus my energy where I can get a higher ROI.

  • Lender · Troy, MI · Member since 2019 · 432 posts · 147 votes
    6y

    @Nicholas Daniels

    I used to live on $400 to $500/month as a single about 25 years ago.  Had different goal...and as I grew and start to learn more about life :) the thought process gets shifted for the better. So, I can relate to where you are coming from.

    It is a good goal to start with.  However, as time progresses; you would learn more and the goals might change.  It is not just passive income that you depend on for retirement; you should also have a sizeable asset base.  These are based on the person's needs, wants, family commitments, health, obligations to spouse-kids, and many other factors.

    Keep this as a first milestone and move forward. 

  • Realtor · Southeast Michigan · Member since 2017 · 232 posts · 180 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:

    big question is why do you want to retire.. and owning rentals is not retirement its a business .. remove that mind set right now.. 

     Spoken like a man who has owned a rental or 2 in his time :)

    This is the reality of owning rentals and more people need to realize it.  Too much nonsense being spoonfed to the newbies nowadays. 

  • Member since 2019 · 54 posts · 13 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Saravanan Saravanan:

    @Nicholas Daniels

    I used to live on $400 to $500/month as a single about 25 years ago.  Had different goal...and as I grew and start to learn more about life :) the thought process gets shifted for the better. So, I can relate to where you are coming from.

    It is a good goal to start with.  However, as time progresses; you would learn more and the goals might change.  It is not just passive income that you depend on for retirement; you should also have a sizeable asset base.  These are based on the person's needs, wants, family commitments, health, obligations to spouse-kids, and many other factors.

    Keep this as a first milestone and move forward. 

    Is my goal wrong? I want 6k/mo passive income. I know I can do it!

  • Lender · Troy, MI · Member since 2019 · 432 posts · 147 votes
    6y

    @Nicholas Daniels

    Your goal is not wrong.  I meant to say is that "thinks has to be adjusted as you move along". 

    Personally, I learnt more when things went wrong, than everything was touch of gold.  I have been through; unfortunate situations during THREE recessions in last 30 years (1990's; 2000's and 2007's).  

    Good luck and keep growing.

  • Member since 2019 · 54 posts · 13 votes
    6y

    @Saravanan Saravanan

    Do you think my goal is possible? I mean based on my description I get to about $2600/mo cashflow by 26 if things go well. What’s your opinion? Any advice?

  • Lender · Troy, MI · Member since 2019 · 432 posts · 147 votes
    6y

    @Nicholas Daniels

    Get going with the first item on your list.  Learn from it and move into the next one.

    Keep marching

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.