Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Starting Out
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Brandon Boyer
  • Rochester, MI
Votes |
When to walk away from a property.

Brandon Boyer
  • Rochester, MI
Posted Apr 17 2018, 03:35

Need some advice.

I'm in the process of buying my first house with the intention of living there, rehabbing it, then putting tenants in there about 2-3 years from now once i've built enough equity to no longer pay PMI through a refi.

The market in my area is pretty dry. I know i'm not getting a great deal on this house, but the location is solid and will give me a pretty steady stream of tenants after I vacate.

My issue is that I am buying it through an FHA loan and they are asking for repairs to be made to the house prior to sale. The house had been on the market for close to three months when I submitted my offer. Initially the seller didn't want to deal with an FHA loan, but I made them an offer of their asking price based on the condition that they make any repairs that the FHA requires.

The appraisal came back and the lender wanted three major things repaired outside the house. The garage roof needs replaced. The back patio is heaving and needs repaired, and there is exterior paint that is badly peeling. They will not go forward with the sale unless these items are repaired.

My realtor discussed it with the listing agent and the seller agreed to the repairs. This was on the original closing date of the 12th of last month. I did not get an addendum from them until the 6th of this month, with an updated closing date of the 20th of this month. My concern is that every time I drive by the house (it's on the way home from my full-time job) is that there has been 0 work done to the exterior of the house.

I've been trying to stay patient about this deal as the sellers are elderly and they live out of state, so they are essentially having their realtor manage the rehab,but I'm starting to get frustrated at this point as the seller has had ample opportunities to bail on the deal but has continued to say they will get the repairs done. I know that the repairs will not be completed by the amended contract date and i'm debating if it's worth the hassle of putting my life on hold another month or if I should just walk away and look at other avenues.

Loading replies...