Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
Starting Out

User Stats

Votes
Terrence Ward
  • Pflugerville , TX
Votes |
Should I pay to go to a Robert Kiyosaki workshop

Terrence Ward
  • Pflugerville , TX
Posted Aug 18 2017, 15:17

I recently went to my second Kiyosaki seminar.  They at the end of course tried to sell everyone a package deal for a three day workshop. I spoke with a friend and he purchased a package from them and was not impressed as the company kept wanting more money from them.  Has anyone bought this workshop?  Do you recommend paying the 500 dollars for it?  

User Stats

Votes
Nick G.
  • Investor
  • Moorpark, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Moorpark, CA
Replied Aug 18 2017, 17:26

@Terrence Ward, you should read Kiyosaki's books. He educates on the value of working hard, often for free, in order to learn and become sharp and successful (no mention anywhere of paying a guru.) I wouldn't be paying much mind to the company that he started that bears his name, but has since been sold off. Plus, your friend already told you he wasn't impressed.

In the future, try searching past forum posts to begin your search for feedback!

See: https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/79/topics/316...

and this https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/79/topics/131...

Cheers!

User Stats

Votes
Anthony Dooley
  • Investor
  • Columbus, GA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Columbus, GA
Replied Aug 18 2017, 17:35

If you go to the three day workshop for $500, they will try to sell you a more expensive seminar at the end. All of the "secrets" will be yours for $1500-3000. You will learn more by doing a deal and pay less for the knowledge.

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Terrence Ward
  • Pflugerville , TX
Votes |
  • Pflugerville , TX
Replied Aug 18 2017, 17:42
thank you for that great forum. they had me fooled. Like i said I spoke to my buddy and he told me the same story this guy just wrote about the company. I don't even want to waste 500 bucks if it goes no where. I have read a few of Roberts books. he must het some royalties from this company to use him in their scam. I won't be going back to their seminars.

User Stats

Votes
Peter Mac
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Irvine, CA
Votes |
  • Irvine, CA
Replied Aug 18 2017, 23:39

Don't pay the $500. These guys will try to tell you that you got to "invest in yourself." And as mentioned above, once you bought the first one, they'll try to sell you the second one, then the third. . .

My take on it is: DON'T DO IT. You can learn from the school of hard knocks. I've heard people going out there and doing creative real estate deals with low-to-no-money down (these deals are hard to come by . . . if you have no money, then you got to spend your time and effort).

Listen to the BiggerPockets podcast show #77 with Michael Quarles. Also, buy Phil Pustejovsky's Real Estate course on udemy.com for $10 and I guarantee you'll learn a lot. Read, read, read. Then talk to a bunch of people. Listen to the BiggerPockets podcast. . . listen to the webinar that Brandon Turner does weekly.

User Stats

Votes
Terrence Ward
  • Pflugerville , TX
Votes |
  • Pflugerville , TX
Replied Aug 20 2017, 09:43
awesome thanks for the advice guys.

User Stats

Votes
Diogo Marques
  • Financial Advisor
  • Cascais, Lisboa
Votes |
  • Financial Advisor
  • Cascais, Lisboa
Replied Aug 20 2017, 10:06

There are no secrets in REI. Anyone trying to sell you that is a con.
Read, talk with people that are doing what you want and practice

User Stats

Votes
Evan Salvador
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Roseville, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Roseville, CA
Replied Aug 20 2017, 10:20

Unfortunately, Kiyosaki licensed his brand to Tigrent learning company.  Tigrent sets up the seminars where they get people to raise their credit card limits to pay for the education.   The free seminar is to suck you in to the first purchase.  Then you show up to that "next level" seminar where they up-sell you to a longer seminar with direct coaching for somewhere in the neighborhood of $45000.  With that amount of money, you might as well purchase a property and learn as you go.   Not saying that the education isn't valuable.  However, $45,000 is enough to leverage to buy 1 property, make mistakes and still have enough to offset almost any costly mistakes.  

User Stats

Votes
Michael S.
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Aug 20 2017, 10:23

No, do not pay to go to Robert Kiyosaki's workshop. My personal experience was that it was nothing but a high pressure sales pitch. Most of the people there were looking for the magic pill to make them rich without putting in the work. The information they were selling was already written. Just repackaged and with a huge mark up. I was very sad when i came to this realization because i love Rich Dad and the teachings. It has changed my life. The fact that he signed off on this and had his name on it... just made me sad. Like finding out your hero is an a**hole. You can find a lot of the information and people to help you by just reading through this website and making connections with people. You might meet with 20-30 people before finding the right person to work with. That is a lot of time, gas, money for coffee, but that's how it goes. Same with the articles and reading the posts. There are gems in here, but you have to look. You have to spend hours reading. Lot's of it will not pertain to you, but eventually, you will find what you need to move forward. Good luck!

User Stats

Votes
AK Fowler
  • Investor
  • Royersford, PA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Royersford, PA
Replied Aug 20 2017, 10:36

Honestly, I believe bigger pockets and books can teach you everything you need to know. Education is a major key to success but more importantly taking action on what you learn is even more important. So in my opinion, between bigger pockets and about $100-$150 in books you can be educated enough to begin investing. Learn though mistakes and don't be afraid of mistakes as it will only make you stronger, wiser, and confident.

User Stats

Votes
Terrence Ward
  • Pflugerville , TX
Votes |
  • Pflugerville , TX
Replied Aug 21 2017, 08:07
Thank you all for the great advice. I will keep reading contacting people and watching the webinars and the podcasts.

User Stats

Votes
Michael Lucero
  • Pasadena, CA
Votes |
  • Pasadena, CA
Replied Aug 21 2017, 09:08

run far away from those scaminars. 

User Stats

Votes
Robert Ruschak
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Indiana
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Indiana
Replied Aug 13 2022, 08:21
Quote from @Anthony Dooley:

If you go to the three day workshop for $500, they will try to sell you a more expensive seminar at the end. All of the "secrets" will be yours for $1500-3000. You will learn more by doing a deal and pay less for the knowledge.

😅😅😅😅😅

The real secret is you can read a book for $20 bucks and get more value!

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Samuel Coronado
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Huntsville, AL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Huntsville, AL
Replied Jan 30 2024, 07:50
Quote from @Terrence Ward:

I recently went to my second Kiyosaki seminar.  They at the end of course tried to sell everyone a package deal for a three day workshop. I spoke with a friend and he purchased a package from them and was not impressed as the company kept wanting more money from them.  Has anyone bought this workshop?  Do you recommend paying the 500 dollars for it?  

When I was 17, I went to the 2 hour free seminar and at the end they tried to sell everyone on a 3 day event. I was young and hungry for success, so my mother paid the then-$200 fee for me to go. I went to the $300 one and was blown away by everything I didn't know. I had been religiously studying real estate and investing since I was 14 and thought I knew a lot (if not everything if I'm being honest to my teenage hubris). That 3 day event made me connections I still have to this day! At the end of the 3 day one, they had us attempt to raise capital to go to a $2k class or something in that ballpark. I failed because I wasn't the best at sales yet and had no track record. It sucked and was a great character building event at 17. 

I took the information from that 3 day event and immediately bought a mobile home for $500. We flipped it and sold it for $2800 two weeks later. The course paid for itself less than a couple weeks after it ended because I applied what I learned as fast as I could within the limits of my ability at the time. 

Information in itself is useless. Action is everything. I think a lot of people go to these classes thinking it will be the answer to their problems when the problem is inaction, insecurity, and fears of failure, poverty, and rejection. Mastering those internal issues is MORE important than the technical details.