Warning for people looking to house-hack through FHA!

Warning for people looking to house-hack through FHA!

Brandon, MS · Member since 2017 · 40 posts · 26 votes

First and foremost I am not saying that going FHA is a bad idea. In truth, the ability that a FHA loan provides to leverage properties for first time homebuyers is pretty incredible. However, this a warning for people trying to jump in their first deal using this vehicle.

 I found BiggerPockets not long ago and it became so clear to me that rental properties and real estate were the way for my wife and I to achieve financial freedom. We decided to house-hack for our first deal and this is the story of how that deal did not work out.

Numerous podcasts and books later we were actually looking for our first house-hack (btw, the idea is genius and I don't understand why everyone just starting on their financial freedom journey doesn't take this path, but that is another discussion for another day).  After hours, days, and weeks of looking through deals and walking houses with realtors, we finally found a duplex that was in our price range and also in a great area of town.

It was built in 1951 and had never been updated so it needed a fair amount of work. I am a contractor and grew up working construction so this property looked like GOLD to me. Not only were we going to house-hack with only 3.5% down, we were going to get some of that awesome "forced appreciation" and raise rents in the process. Win-Win

After some heavy negotiation our offer was accepted at $15k below list price with the sellers splitting the closing costs. During the due diligence we discovered there was more work than originally anticipated.  We came back and asked for another $3k towards closing and they accepted! My analysis projected that once we moved out, the property was going to cash flow over $400 a month and have a decent equity position. Man were we excited ..... and then everything fell through.. 

As many of you know getting a loan from a bank, especially FHA, is like pulling teeth. We jumped through a hundred hoops throughout the process. After due diligence the bank kept postponing the closing due to the appraiser, underwriting, etc. (four weeks in fact). A few days before the 4th closing date we get a call from the lender, short and not so sweet. "We are denying the loan, and we still need you to pay for the appraisal ($950)." Between the appraisal, elevation certificate (it was in a flood zone), and inspections we are out over $1,600 and three months of our time.

According to the bank, FHA would not back the loan because there were not enough comparable sales of "duplexes" in that area within the last 12 months to justify the appraisal. I called 10 other banks/mortgage brokers and they all said the same thing, "We need comparable sales."

Warning for people looking to house-hack through FHA! Verify with your realtor that there will be enough comparable sales of "similar" properties  in that area within the last twelve months before you spend the money and time going through this whole process!

Needless to say our goal remains the same and we will persist to be successful in real estate. This is just a lesson learned.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do in this situation or any other ways to avoid it? -The owners would not do seller financing with such a low down-payment.                                          

-My agent provided other duplex sales, but they were sold in packages and could not be used.

-Conventional requires 15% for 2-4 units 

p.s. go easy fellow BP members, this is my first post and I am not a writer.

Sincerely,

Sterling Fields

2Reply
32 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 885 votes
9y

@Sterling Fields I once upon a time was a loan officer. I actually sell my houses now using FHA, Sometimes. (But, not often.) In your position, I would buy Subject To (taking over someone's loan, for somewhere around $25k "all in" and then fix up the property and either cash flow the property or live in it, your choice. It is soooo much easier than trying to buy FHA and trying to cash flow the transaction.

See this reply in the discussion

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 885 votes
    9y

    @Sterling Fields I once upon a time was a loan officer. I actually sell my houses now using FHA, Sometimes. (But, not often.) In your position, I would buy Subject To (taking over someone's loan, for somewhere around $25k "all in" and then fix up the property and either cash flow the property or live in it, your choice. It is soooo much easier than trying to buy FHA and trying to cash flow the transaction.

  • Brandon, MS · Member since 2017 · 40 posts · 26 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    @Sterling Fields I once upon a time was a loan officer. I actually sell my houses now using FHA, Sometimes. (But, not often.) In your position, I would buy Subject To (taking over someone's loan, for somewhere around $25k "all in" and then fix up the property and either cash flow the property or live in it, your choice. It is soooo much easier than trying to buy FHA and trying to cash flow the transaction.

     Thank you for your post Ken. I actually thought about that but the problem was that the sellers owned the house free and clear. It seems to me the only way around this is to use a portfolio lender who will allow a low down payment, and who will waive the fact that there weren't enough sold comparables within the last 12 months.

  • Investor · Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 885 votes
    9y

    @Sterling Fields If the house is "Free & Clear" you can do a Lease Option with as many years on the Option as you need. You get the house, they get the cash flow. Or, they could do Owner Financing if they prefer. Keep in mind that if lenders can't find comps for you for the property, they won't be able to find comps for the next guy who wants to buy and the sellers will be waiting a long time. Help the sellers out. Make the offer as a Lease Option.

  • Brandon, MS · Member since 2017 · 40 posts · 26 votes
    9y

    @Account Closed that is exactly what I was trying to explain to the seller. I offered fairly good terms for them to seller finance, but they refused and the house is back on the market. As far as the lease option, it doesn't fit well with our strategy to house-hack and save money. We would essentially be renting at that point. It seems to me that an investor will need to offer all cash or someone will need to use an in-house bank and put 15-20% down. Thank you again for your insight!

  • Atlanta, GA · Member since 2017 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    9y

    @Sterling Fields Wow! Great post...My wife and I plan on using the exact same approach with and FHA loan and I'm glad I read this before hand, this will surely save us a lot time and heartache. Post again once you finally find the property you're looking for!

  • Real Estate Agent · Irvine, CA · Member since 2016 · 224 posts · 142 votes
    9y
    Thank you for the heads up. Much appreciated.
  • Investor · Towson, MD · Member since 2014 · 472 posts · 257 votes
    9y
    That sounds like it was a miserable process. I'm sorry to hear you had to go through that. I will swing out to you, and the rest of the people on this forum, that your experiences are not FHA dependent. You had a bad lender. That doesn't mean FHA was the cause of those issues.
  • Pompano Beach, FL · Member since 2017 · 93 posts · 59 votes
    9y

    FHA only issue or not, definitely something to keep in mind when considering a property. Thanks for sharing.

  • Professional · SAINT PETERSBURG, FL · Member since 2017 · 6 posts · 1 vote
    9y
    Can anybody explain to me how a lease option works?
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.