Fake it 'till you make it or ask for help/advice/suggestions?

Fake it 'till you make it or ask for help/advice/suggestions?

Real Estate Investor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2009 · 46 posts · 8 votes

Howdy!

As a newbie wholesaler, I've heard/read lots of people say "fake it 'till you make it", which makes perfect sense to me as far as presenting yourself to others as a confident real estate investor who knows what he's doing and not just another new face that's gonna give up in 2 weeks or has no idea what he's doing.
But when dealing with other wholesalers or investors who might be able to help me out, should I just keep the fact that I'm a rookie and still learning the ropes to myself, or should I just be open and let them know that while I pretty much know what I'm doing, I'm new to real estate and don't understand exactly how some processes work?

0Reply
7 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Investor · Dale City, VA · Member since 2008 · 317 posts · 77 votes
16y

Actually our montra should be "learn it until you earn it". I just made that up, but sounds good to me.

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · OH · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    16y

    Instead of "faking it" until you make it, why not do the hard work of learning the business before you start doing deals. All the info is out there, with virtually everything right here on BP for FREE! You just need to do the work.

    As for your other question, you won't be able to fake it with an experienced investor - it will be immediately obvious that you're a newbie. Furthermore, pretending to be something your not will GREATLY hurt your credibility.

    Honesty is ALWAYS the best policy.

  • Real Estate Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 447 votes
    16y

    Projecting an image of confidence is one thing but you don’t fool anyone by faking it. Anyone with an ounce of experience will see right through you. I come across people all the time who have been through some guru nonsense and try to impress me with their knowledge. I immediately dismiss them and will not give them the time of day or even remotely consider working with them. On the other hand, when someone asks for my help and is sincere I am happy to oblige. I frequently meet with newbies before an REI meeting or for coffee some other time simply because they asked. I would never do that with someone who is doing the ‘fake it till you make it’ charade

    :cool:

  • Real Estate Investor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2009 · 46 posts · 8 votes
    16y

    Thanks guys! These are the sort of answers I need! I've seen "Fake it till you make it" so many places, I guess I needed to clear up what is meant by that!

  • Real Estate Investor · Dale City, VA · Member since 2008 · 317 posts · 77 votes
    16y

    Actually our montra should be "learn it until you earn it". I just made that up, but sounds good to me.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.