Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Starting Out
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Manuel A Zuaznabar
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Brooklyn, NY
Votes |
Long distance investing

Manuel A Zuaznabar
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Brooklyn, NY
Posted Aug 1 2024, 12:16

Hello everyone,

I've been trying to buy property in my home market of NYC, but it's been quite challenging. I'm considering looking into Pennsylvania or upstate New York instead and would appreciate any advice. I've spoken to fellow firefighters who have invested upstate, and they seem to be doing well.

Thanks in advance for all the help!

User Stats

Votes
Nicholas L.
Pro Member
#4 General Real Estate Investing Contributor
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Pittsburgh
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Pittsburgh
Replied Aug 1 2024, 13:28

@Manuel A Zuaznabar

can you start with a house hack

User Stats

Votes
Mike Paolucci
Agent
#5 House Hacking Contributor
  • Realtor
  • Columbus, Oh
Votes |
Agent
#5 House Hacking Contributor
  • Realtor
  • Columbus, Oh
Replied Aug 1 2024, 14:20
Quote from @Manuel A Zuaznabar:

Hello everyone,

I've been trying to buy property in my home market of NYC, but it's been quite challenging. 

@Manuel A Zuaznabar if you can find a house hack (2-4 units if possible) deal that makes sense locally, do it. Otherwise I'd suggest looking into other affordable markets that have a good growth rate & other economic drivers. 

I originally started off as a OOS investor from CA and chose to invest in the Midwest. Happy to answer any questions you might have if you're interested in that kind of investing. 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Manuel A Zuaznabar
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Brooklyn, NY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Brooklyn, NY
Replied Aug 1 2024, 14:35
Quote from @Nicholas L.:

@Manuel A Zuaznabar

can you start with a house hack

I can but currently multi families in my area run  in the 700-800,000 range so numbers are tight and heavily reliant on the tenants. I would preferably love to house hack of course. 

User Stats

Votes
Manuel A Zuaznabar
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Brooklyn, NY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Brooklyn, NY
Replied Aug 1 2024, 14:37
Quote from @Mike Paolucci:

Hello everyone,

I've been trying to buy property in my home market of NYC, but it's been quite challenging. 

@Manuel A Zuaznabar if you can find a house hack (2-4 units if possible) deal that makes sense locally, do it. Otherwise I'd suggest looking into other affordable markets that have a good growth rate & other economic drivers. 

I originally started off as a OOS investor from CA and chose to invest in the Midwest. Happy to answer any questions you might have if you're interested in that kind of investing. 

I would love to pick your brain if possible. Especially since you came from a HCOL state as well. 

User Stats

Votes
Nicholas L.
Pro Member
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Pittsburgh
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Pittsburgh
Replied Aug 1 2024, 15:08

@Manuel A Zuaznabar

understand it's expensive / high barrier of entry but the midwest comes with issues too

i think it's worth it

what you don't want to do is buy a random property that looks great and then start sinking tens of thousands into it

like these folks

https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/963/topics/1195280-expe...

https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/48/topics/1160450-run-i...

User Stats

Votes
Manuel A Zuaznabar
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Brooklyn, NY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Brooklyn, NY
Replied Aug 1 2024, 15:12
Quote from @Nicholas L.:

@Manuel A Zuaznabar

understand it's expensive / high barrier of entry but the midwest comes with issues too

i think it's worth it

what you don't want to do is buy a random property that looks great and then start sinking tens of thousands into it

like these folks

Yikes! I definitely wouldn’t want those issues. Maybe I should just keep aiming for in the states. I was thinking of properties that were more 3-4 hour drive away rather than the midwest but I can still have these same issues. 

User Stats

Votes
Samuel Diouf#2 New Member Introductions Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
Samuel Diouf#2 New Member Introductions Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Aug 2 2024, 06:34
Quote from @Nicholas L.:

@Manuel A Zuaznabar

i think it's worth it

like these folks

Yikes! I definitely wouldn’t want those issues. Maybe I should just keep aiming for in the states. I was thinking of properties that were more 3-4 hour drive away rather than the midwest but I can still have these same issues. 

When investing OOS you need to know what you're trying to achieve through real estate and you need to source and develop a top tier core-4 team. I work with plenty of OOS investors who are having great success here in Ohio. Personally, I moved from the Florida market to start investing in Ohio. 

User Stats

Votes
Mya Toohey
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Tampa Florida
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Tampa Florida
Replied Aug 2 2024, 08:24

I work with all OOS investors.  I am in The Tampa Florida area.  Buying an investment here also gives you a reason to vacation here and use it as a tax deduction.  LOL...I'm not an accountant but I know it's why a lot of my investors but here from up north.

User Stats

Votes
Jimmy Lieu
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Aug 2 2024, 12:10

Hello everyone,

I've been trying to buy property in my home market of NYC, but it's been quite challenging. I'm considering looking into Pennsylvania or upstate New York instead and would appreciate any advice. I've spoken to fellow firefighters who have invested upstate, and they seem to be doing well.

Thanks in advance for all the help!

Hi Manuel, I personally recommend checking out Columbus OH. The macroeconomics in Columbus is booming because of the growing population and strong job market brought by a lot of companies moving and building out here like Intel, Amazon, Google, Meta, etc. I moved here from Portland OR to start house hacking then moved on to purchase rentals and grew my rental portfolio to over seven figures. My out-of-state clients love it here because they are able to purchase deals that are cash flowing, hits the 1% rule, and has lots of appreciation potential. And the rules are landlord-friendly too! Happy to connect and answer any questions you may have.

User Stats

Votes
KiKi Wood
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Indianapolis, IN
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Indianapolis, IN
Replied Aug 2 2024, 12:44

Hi Manuel! If you're ever looking in other markets, I specialize in helping OOS investors in the Indianapolis, IN market. My fiancé and I also manage 60+ properties in Indy, mostly STR and MTR. If you're ever looking in the area, I would love to potentially help you! :)