Should you get rid of debt before investing?

Should you get rid of debt before investing?

New to Real Estate · Delaware County, PA · Member since 2024 · 12 posts · 19 votes

In this case I don’t have much debt in regards to credit but in past due college tuition payments. I have about $15k I have to pay back for school. I want to invest in real estate and don’t want that to hold me back. I’m paying that balance down little by little each month though. Should I focus on paying that off first before I invest or does it make sense to start my real estate journey and use the cash flow to help pay it off faster?

0Reply
19 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    2y

    @William Johnny

    How much $ do you have to start investing in real estate?

    What type Of real estate investing are you looking to get involved in?

    7e investments53 Reviews
  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    2y

    If you have $15K in student loan debt and are paying it off little by little (your words)-what are the interest rates, how long will it take you to pay it off, does it affect your ability to borrow for a mortgages (or save the down payment)?  If it means you can't get a mortgage, then yes pay it down quickly.  

    If the interest rates are high (double digits)-think about paying it down faster.  If they aren't too bad, can use the money to get a mortgage, rent a room in your house and use that income to pay down the student loan, you may want to think about it.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.