Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Starting Out
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Mak K.
Votes |
Roofing- 5 properties- How to negotiate with roofers

Mak K.
Posted

I have 6 properties which got hit by the storm in Houston. My deductibles are $6K range and all properties are 2005+ build, 2000 SF +/- double story.

Location Houston TX

This is my first time working with insurance as well as roofing company. How do I negotiate with roofers. Also how do I make sure all secondary damage such as gutters, siding, windows etc are covered and accounted in insurance claim. What would be the best strategy? Tips/advice/lessons learnt?

User Stats

Votes
Matthew Crivelli
Lender
  • Lender
  • Massachusetts
Votes |
Lender
  • Lender
  • Massachusetts
Replied

@Mak K.

Your best bet is to get multiple quotes and do research on the roofing companies. Just because one has the best price doesn't mean its going to be the cheapest in the long run. Roofers come in varying degrees of expertise.  I would narrow down to three companies, then bring the best quote to the two higher roofers and see if they are willing to beat the pricing. Also, always verify they are insured. 

User Stats

Votes
Greg Scott
Pro Member
#1 Market Trends & Data Contributor
  • Rental Property Investor
  • SE Michigan
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Market Trends & Data Contributor
  • Rental Property Investor
  • SE Michigan
Replied

If this is an insurance claim the process is very different than hiring a roofer during normal circumstances.  Most of the negotiation will be with the insurance company, not the roofer.  I've made about a dozen claims, with dollar amounts over $3M, so have some experience here.  Below is a picture from a tornado that hit one of our properties and another of a fire claim we had a year later.

I'd look to find a reputable roofer that has experience with insurance claims. The good ones will carefully document all the damage and then get the insurance company to pay for everything damaged.  Insurance payout rates are, by law, very rich, and pay significantly more than you would probably pay under normal circumstances.

Before you hire the roofer, I'd ask if they think they can cover your deductible.  On almost every roof claim we've ever had, the roofer paid our deductible. (That is completely legal although they will word it as something like a "refund for efficiencies")

They will need to look over your policy.  Many insurers have started slipping in language that excludes certain coverages on roofing material.  (They got tired of paying out every time a hail storm hit.)   After a recent fire, we learned the shingles were not covered.  Fortunately, the claim was over $1M so there was enough money to pay for the roof even if it was not explicitly covered.  How much will end up coming out of your pocket will ultimately depend on the coverages and exclusions you have.

Good luck.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Jerry V.
  • Contractor
  • Richardson, TX
Votes |
  • Contractor
  • Richardson, TX
Replied
@Greg S: In Texas, they wrote a law specifically stating that the property owner must show proof that the Deductible amount is/has been paid.  Sure, there are always "ways" to do things but... must be careful and if there are any issues or hiccups, someone will definitely get in trouble!

You should, get quotes from local Roofers there, that have longevity in the area but that you do NOT hear on the radio, see on TV, etc! :)  And get this/these quotes for ONE of the properties... once you narrow it down to 1-2 roofers, THEN approach them to say something to the point of ... "I like your proposal but I have a question, I have 4 other properties to do as well. If you write a quote for those for me, is there a deal to be made for doing all 5 of them!?"  And see where that takes you!  "I/we" certainly work deals on multiple properties! :P
w/ J's Roofing - Richardson, TX

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied

In my experience, the insurance adjuster is the one who identifies damage and determines what needs to be repaired/replaced, then the roofer is hired to complete that work. As others have said, I would stick with local, reputable roofing companies and not the pass-through companies that offer to do it cheap.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Courtney Duong
  • Property Manager
  • Texas
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Texas
Replied
Quote from @Mak K.:

I have 6 properties which got hit by the storm in Houston. My deductibles are $6K range and all properties are 2005+ build, 2000 SF +/- double story.

Location Houston TX

This is my first time working with insurance as well as roofing company. How do I negotiate with roofers. Also how do I make sure all secondary damage such as gutters, siding, windows etc are covered and accounted in insurance claim. What would be the best strategy? Tips/advice/lessons learnt?

PM me and I will share the good roofer I just found this week.

User Stats

Votes
Jerel Ehlert
Pro Member
  • Attorney
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Attorney
  • Austin, TX
Replied
Quote from @Nathan Gesner:

In my experience, the insurance adjuster is the one who identifies damage and determines what needs to be repaired/replaced, then the roofer is hired to complete that work. As others have said, I would stick with local, reputable roofing companies and not the pass-through companies that offer to do it cheap.

My only clarification would be is that the adjuster identifies damage the carrier is willing to pay for repairs.

User Stats

Votes
Mak K.
Votes |
Replied
Quote from @Courtney Duong:
Quote from @Mak K.:

Location Houston TX

PM me and I will share the good roofer I just found this week.

Sent you a PM

User Stats

Votes
Mak K.
Votes |
Replied

what is your guys take on hiring Public adjusters to increase amount of claim? Is it worth it? How true are public adjusters since they say or advertise they will inflate it to 80k but once you hire them ends up at not much money but their fees and associated business fees?