Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Starting Out
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Eric L. Burkes
Pro Member
Votes |
Greetings from Northern Virginia

Eric L. Burkes
Pro Member
Posted

Hi Bigger Pockets Team,

Eric here from Northern Virginia. I am new to real estate investing. I recently retired from the military and now I am ready to start Chapter 2.

The goal is to build long-term wealth. I am more interested in buy & hold properties. I am interested in multi-family and commercial properties.

I have (13 months) remaining on a lease of a townhouse I am currently renting. Afterwards, the plan is to utilize my VA home loan to buy a multi-family property. I thought about breaking the lease but then decided the juice is not worth the squeeze. Meanwhile, I am educating myself on REI and analyzing deals for the next year.

I am looking to find a mentor who has carved a path in multi-family & commercial real estate to help build my confidence and investing skills.

I am also open to finding partners in the area to go in on deals with. Potential locations for my first buy preferably somewhere close to where I reside (Virginia, Maryland, or North Carolina). I have set aside funds for a down payment.

Additionally, I have signed-up for a couple of meet-up events in my area to get any advice and insight.

I hope this intro makes sense.

Thanks in advance.

EB

User Stats

Votes
Tanner Lewis
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Austin, TX
Replied

Hey Eric - I'm from Richmond, VA, be happy to connect. I've seen some decent multifamily deals there, but not a lot in NOVA mainly due to the high price points. Have you found any specific markets in which you see good multifamily deals?

User Stats

Votes
Replied

Hey Eric, 

Welcome to the BiggerPockets community and congratulations on your retirement. I'm a member of the North Carolina Real Estate Investors Association. If you would like to connect on sourcing potential deals in the market, feel free to reach out. I'd be more than happy to assist. 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Russell Brazil
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Washington, D.C.
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Washington, D.C.
ModeratorReplied
Quote from @Eric L. Burkes:

Hi Bigger Pockets Team,

Eric here from Northern Virginia. I am new to real estate investing. I recently retired from the military and now I am ready to start Chapter 2.

The goal is to build long-term wealth. I am more interested in buy & hold properties. I am interested in multi-family and commercial properties.

I have (13 months) remaining on a lease of a townhouse I am currently renting. Afterwards, the plan is to utilize my VA home loan to buy a multi-family property. I thought about breaking the lease but then decided the juice is not worth the squeeze. Meanwhile, I am educating myself on REI and analyzing deals for the next year.

I am looking to find a mentor who has carved a path in multi-family & commercial real estate to help build my confidence and investing skills.

I am also open to finding partners in the area to go in on deals with. Potential locations for my first buy preferably somewhere close to where I reside (Virginia, Maryland, or North Carolina). I have set aside funds for a down payment.

Additionally, I have signed-up for a couple of meet-up events in my area to get any advice and insight.

Thanks in advance.

EB

Welcome to BP

Most of the multifamily in the metro area is in DC proper. The Virginia side of the border has only about 4-6 per year that sell on average, with those being almost exclusively on the City of Alexandria and Arlington. Maryland has more than Virginia, but most of them are in Takoma Park, which has very restrictive rent control.

User Stats

Votes
Wale Lawal
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Houston | Dallas | Austin, TX
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
Replied

@Eric L. Burkes

Welcome to BiggerPockets!

To build trust in real estate investing, start with learning from books and podcasts, online classes, and by joining groups at local events, real estate meetups, and online chats. Look for mentors by reaching out to people in the real estate field, at local gatherings, REI groups, and on Bigger Pockets forums. It's important to learn how to analyze deals, understand the market, figure out financing, and find partners. Make sure to set clear aims for your first buy, lay out a step-by-step plan, and use tools like books, podcasts, online classes, and Bigger Pockets Calculators.

Good luck!

User Stats

Votes
Robin Simon
Pro Member
#1 Classifieds Contributor
  • Lender
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Classifieds Contributor
  • Lender
  • Austin, TX
Replied

Welcome to BP!

User Stats

Votes
Eric L. Burkes
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied
Quote from @Robin Simon:

Welcome to BP!

Thank you, Sir. 

User Stats

Votes
Eric L. Burkes
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied
Quote from @Wale Lawal:

@Eric L. Burkes

Thank you for the solid advice, I am attending my first meet-up tomorrow.

To build trust in real estate investing, start with learning from books and podcasts, online classes, and by joining groups at local events, real estate meetups, and online chats. Look for mentors by reaching out to people in the real estate field, at local gatherings, REI groups, and on Bigger Pockets forums. It's important to learn how to analyze deals, understand the market, figure out financing, and find partners. Make sure to set clear aims for your first buy, lay out a step-by-step plan, and use tools like books, podcasts, online classes, and Bigger Pockets Calculators.

Good luck!

User Stats

Votes
Eric L. Burkes
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied
Quote from @Russell Brazil:
Quote from @Eric L. Burkes: Thank you, Sir for providing me insight into the real estate markets in the D.M.V. area. All information helps!

Hi Bigger Pockets Team,

Thanks in advance.

EB

Welcome to BP

Most of the multifamily in the metro area is in DC proper. The Virginia side of the border has only about 4-6 per year that sell on average, with those being almost exclusively on the City of Alexandria and Arlington. Maryland has more than Virginia, but most of them are in Takoma Park, which has very restrictive rent control.

User Stats

Votes
Eric L. Burkes
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied
Quote from @Tanner Lewis:

Hey Eric - I'm from Richmond, VA, be happy to connect. I've seen some decent multifamily deals there, but not a lot in NOVA mainly due to the high price points. Have you found any specific markets in which you see good multifamily deals?

Hi Tanner, thank you for your insight into NOVA and Richmond. As of now, I have not pinned down a specific market, I am open in my search. I want my 1st deal to be within a couple of hours driving distance. 

User Stats

Votes
Wale Lawal
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
Replied
Quote from @Wale Lawal:

@Eric L. Burkes

Thank you for the solid advice, I am attending my first meet-up tomorrow.

Good luck!

You are most welcome! Keep in touch and Goodluck.

User Stats

Votes
Replied
Quote from @Travis Main:

I couldn't help but notice your response to Eric's post about his interest in real estate investing, particularly in the North Carolina market. As a fellow investor looking to expand my portfolio, I was intrigued by your offer to assist in sourcing potential deals in the area.

I've been actively educating myself and analyzing investment opportunities, with a focus on buy and hold multifamily and commercial properties. North Carolina is one of the markets I'm particularly interested in, given its strong economic growth and attractive rental market.

would greatly appreciate the opportunity to connect with you and discuss potential collaboration or investment opportunities.

If you're open to the idea, I would love to schedule a call or virtual meeting to introduce myself, share my investment goals, and learn more about your experience and insights in the North Carolina market.Please let me know if you're interested in connecting, and we can find a time that works best for both of us.

Thank you for considering my request. I look forward to the possibility of working together and learning from your expertise.

Farhan

User Stats

Votes
David Cherkowsky
  • Investor
  • Alexandria, VA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Alexandria, VA
Replied

Hi Eric. I am in Northern Virginia as well and am about to close on my first property. I’d be happy to talk through my (albeit incredibly limited) experiences and connect with someone local.

BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!

User Stats

Votes
Eric L. Burkes
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied
Quote from @David Cherkowsky:

Hi Eric. I am in Northern Virginia as well and am about to close on my first property. I’d be happy to talk through my (albeit incredibly limited) experiences and connect with someone local.

Hello David, that would be awesome. It would be nice to get an overview the steps you took to acquire your 1st property. Thanks for reaching out.

User Stats

Votes
Replied

Hi Eric and David C,

I came across your discussion on this real estate forum and was wondering if I could join your network. I'm based in Virginia and have been actively looking for investment properties for the past three months. Although I have submitted one offer, I'm not confident it will be accepted.

My primary challenge has been the high asking prices for most of the homes I've considered, which make it difficult to achieve a desirable return on investment (ROI). I believe there may be strategies or insights I'm missing, and I would greatly appreciate the opportunity to learn from your experiences.

If you're open to having me join your network, I'd be thrilled to learn from and contribute to the group.

Thank you for considering my request.

User Stats

Votes
Jonathan Weintraub
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Alexandria, VA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Alexandria, VA
Replied

Hi Bigger Pockets Team,

Thanks in advance.

EB

Hey Eric. Congratulations on committing to making moves. I'm outside of Ft. Belvoir and have a few properties here in NOVA (all SFH). House hacking has been my approach here, otherwise the numbers don't really work. Would be happy to connect and chat. I'm former military myself.

V/r,

Jon

User Stats

Votes
Jake Burkons
  • New to Real Estate
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Austin, TX
Replied

Hi Bigger Pockets Team,

Thanks in advance.

EB

Hey Eric Welcome to BP!

User Stats

Votes
Eric L. Burkes
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied
Quote from @Jonathan Weintraub:

Hi Bigger Pockets Team,

Thanks in advance.

EB

Hey Eric. Congratulations on committing to making moves. I'm outside of Ft. Belvoir and have a few properties here in NOVA (all SFH). House hacking has been my approach here, otherwise the numbers don't really work. Would be happy to connect and chat. I'm former military myself.

V/r,

Jon

Nice to meet you Jon. Great to hear that a fellow VET is out here crushing it! I definitely would like to connect to gain a bit of insight. 

User Stats

Votes
Ahmad Aram
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Northern Virginia(VA)
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Northern Virginia(VA)
Replied

Welcome to BP Eric, Also a NOVA resident who is looking to pull the trigger on my first place(primary residence first of course). Trying to navigate this whole process and what to look for. Would be great to connect with you all and bounce ideas off of each other.