Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Starting Out
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Ruby Ruiz
  • Investor
  • San Antonio, TX
Votes |
Buyers Are Liars!?

Ruby Ruiz
  • Investor
  • San Antonio, TX
Posted May 21 2024, 11:49

I have been in Real Estate for over 3 years now, and even though I find myself to be experienced and know the difference between a real buyer and a fake one, I still get it wrong from time to time. I have recently purchased my first Sub-to property that I will be owner financing, after 2 weeks of looking for a buyer- I found the perfect couple to buy it, or so I thought. They gave me their sob story about not being able to buy traditionally due to immigration status, they told me how hard they work and how excited they were to finally be able to own their home after 12 years of renting. I was very moved, we made a deal that fit their needs, we brought down the interest from the original 8% I was asking to 6.5% to meet their monthly max budget. Maybe I got over excited, since this was my first owner finance deal, but I was really taken by them- I wanted them to live and buy our home. I thought I was creating the sought after "win, win" scenario we all want in Real Estate. I was helping a couple become home owners, while making a smart business move for myself. My heart sank to the floor when I received a text message from them telling me they will not be moving forward in the purchase. They "were not ready". They "wanted to wait". Everything leading up to this text message was positive, I never noticed anything wrong or remotely hinting to not buying. It stung for sure, even after 4 years in real estate I still got played. Sighhh. 

Has anyone else experienced this before? Is there anyway to catch fake buyers up front? or maybe I was blinded by being emotionally connected to the deal? I have been in Real Estate as a Realtor, wholesaler but just recently started to purchase properties as an Investor myself. Thoughts?

Loading replies...