Newbie Investor Considering the Memphis Market

Newbie Investor Considering the Memphis Market

Member since 2022 · 13 posts · 12 votes

Hello BiggerPockets Community,

I hope this message finds you well. My name is Dzung Doan, and I'm just starting out in real estate investing. My primary strategy is buy-and-hold for rental properties, aiming to create a passive income stream. I have an initial investment capital of about $35K-$50K and a monthly saving rate of around $3K-$5K. I intend to finance my investments primarily through conventional loans, with a 30-year mortgage and a down payment of 20-25%.

One of the markets I've been considering is Memphis, Tennessee. Its strong rental demand, favorable rent-to-price ratios, and growing economy are appealing to me as a potential investor.

As I'm residing out-of-state, I would like to tap into the collective wisdom of this forum to better understand the Memphis market. Specifically, I'd be very interested in hearing about:

  1. The nature of different neighborhoods in Memphis and their respective investment potentials
  2. Your experiences, challenges, and rewards from investing in the Memphis market
  3. Your recommendations for local teams, including real estate agents, property managers, and contractors
  4. Any tips or strategies that have proven successful for you in this market

Additionally, I'd greatly appreciate any advice on potential pitfalls, or critical factors to be aware of when investing in Memphis.

I am eager to make well-informed decisions and start my journey in real estate investing on the right foot. Any insights, advice, or recommendations you could provide would be immensely valuable.

Thank you in advance for your time and assistance. I look forward to learning from this community and embarking on this exciting journey.

Best regards,

Dzung Doan

2Reply
11 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · Austin, TX · Member since 2022 · 95 posts · 39 votes
3y
Quote from @Dzung Doan:

Hello BiggerPockets Community,

I hope this message finds you well. My name is Dzung Doan, and I'm just starting out in real estate investing. My primary strategy is buy-and-hold for rental properties, aiming to create a passive income stream. I have an initial investment capital of about $35K-$50K and a monthly saving rate of around $3K-$5K. I intend to finance my investments primarily through conventional loans, with a 30-year mortgage and a down payment of 20-25%.

One of the markets I've been considering is Memphis, Tennessee. Its strong rental demand, favorable rent-to-price ratios, and growing economy are appealing to me as a potential investor.

As I'm residing out-of-state, I would like to tap into the collective wisdom of this forum to better understand the Memphis market. Specifically, I'd be very interested in hearing about:

  1. The nature of different neighborhoods in Memphis and their respective investment potentials
  2. Your experiences, challenges, and rewards from investing in the Memphis market
  3. Your recommendations for local teams, including real estate agents, property managers, and contractors
  4. Any tips or strategies that have proven successful for you in this market

Additionally, I'd greatly appreciate any advice on potential pitfalls, or critical factors to be aware of when investing in Memphis.

I am eager to make well-informed decisions and start my journey in real estate investing on the right foot. Any insights, advice, or recommendations you could provide would be immensely valuable.

Thank you in advance for your time and assistance. I look forward to learning from this community and embarking on this exciting journey.

Best regards,

Dzung Doan

 Here are some answers for you, I also invest in the area and would be happy to share my contacts. 

  1. 1. Zip codes-
    • Memphis (*Dont invest in 38002,38106,38108 iffy area)38109,38114,38126,38127*) GOOD Areas **38016,38018 38117,38118,38128,38133,38134,38135,38016, 38111 University area is ok for students and midterm rentals.
  2. 2. Memphis is the king of cash flow in my opinion. If you want, there is also a ton of BRRR deals too.
  3. 3. I use Renshaw for PM, Odyssey construction for maintenance and two agents, one regular agent and one wholesaler. 
  4. 4. Build a team first, then invest. 
See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Hamp Lee IIIPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 832 votes
    3y

    Check out the "Find an Agent" link in the menu bar to locate a great investor-friendly agent. 

    Outside of what some might post here, a local agent will be a great start for investing in Memphis.

    I wish you all the best.

  • Realtor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2019 · 108 posts · 52 votes
    3y

    Find yourself a great investor friendly real estate agent! Please reach out if need some assistance getting connected - I have a connection in the area. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Austin, TX · Member since 2022 · 95 posts · 39 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Dzung Doan:

    Hello BiggerPockets Community,

    I hope this message finds you well. My name is Dzung Doan, and I'm just starting out in real estate investing. My primary strategy is buy-and-hold for rental properties, aiming to create a passive income stream. I have an initial investment capital of about $35K-$50K and a monthly saving rate of around $3K-$5K. I intend to finance my investments primarily through conventional loans, with a 30-year mortgage and a down payment of 20-25%.

    One of the markets I've been considering is Memphis, Tennessee. Its strong rental demand, favorable rent-to-price ratios, and growing economy are appealing to me as a potential investor.

    As I'm residing out-of-state, I would like to tap into the collective wisdom of this forum to better understand the Memphis market. Specifically, I'd be very interested in hearing about:

    1. The nature of different neighborhoods in Memphis and their respective investment potentials
    2. Your experiences, challenges, and rewards from investing in the Memphis market
    3. Your recommendations for local teams, including real estate agents, property managers, and contractors
    4. Any tips or strategies that have proven successful for you in this market

    Additionally, I'd greatly appreciate any advice on potential pitfalls, or critical factors to be aware of when investing in Memphis.

    I am eager to make well-informed decisions and start my journey in real estate investing on the right foot. Any insights, advice, or recommendations you could provide would be immensely valuable.

    Thank you in advance for your time and assistance. I look forward to learning from this community and embarking on this exciting journey.

    Best regards,

    Dzung Doan

     Here are some answers for you, I also invest in the area and would be happy to share my contacts. 

    1. 1. Zip codes-
      • Memphis (*Dont invest in 38002,38106,38108 iffy area)38109,38114,38126,38127*) GOOD Areas **38016,38018 38117,38118,38128,38133,38134,38135,38016, 38111 University area is ok for students and midterm rentals.
    2. 2. Memphis is the king of cash flow in my opinion. If you want, there is also a ton of BRRR deals too.
    3. 3. I use Renshaw for PM, Odyssey construction for maintenance and two agents, one regular agent and one wholesaler. 
    4. 4. Build a team first, then invest. 
  • Rental Property Investor · Orange County, CA · Member since 2016 · 512 posts · 374 votes
    3y

    @Dzung Doan

    Take a trip to memphis to meet local agents or RE group.. Best way to educate yourself on memphis  dont try to virtually buy in Memphis!!

  • Walter JonesBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Memphis, TN · Member since 2018 · 101 posts · 101 votes
    3y
    Quote from @AJ Singh:

    @Dzung Doan

    Take a trip to memphis to meet local agents or RE group.. Best way to educate yourself on memphis  dont try to virtually buy in Memphis!!


    Great advice. We have a robust REIA here, with a big monthly live and virtual meeting, several breakout meet-ups each month, and a Zoom lunch meetup on Fridays. Lots of out of state people attend the Friday one. Everyone is very helpful and friendly. Check us out! https://www.memphisinvestorsgr...

  • Rental Property Investor · Orange County, CA · Member since 2016 · 512 posts · 374 votes
    3y

    @Walter Jones

    I will join the webinar this friday . Thanks for the info

  • Member since 2023 · 122 posts · 68 votes
    3y

    MIG has lunch at butcher shop on Fridays. I plan on attending meet and greets to network, mingle and increase knowledge and come out of my DIY mentality that's stopping me from scaling. Anyways.

    On areas. Memphis is a city of streets and blocks. You need someone from here to assist you. All areas have spots that are good for brrrr. You can have a bad block with hanging out and crime but the next block is full of homeowners and manicured yards. This city is not for the squeamish. Good luck. I think you need to come here or get boots on the ground using a liason. Don't just buy a turnkey. Imo

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.