How to pick a market to invest in

How to pick a market to invest in

Member since 2023 · 5 posts · 1 vote

Hi. I'm just getting started in real estate investing and I can't figure out how to pick a market where I can start looking for deals. How do you research a market and decide you want to invest there? Thanks in advance for your help. 

0Reply
30 views

Most Popular Reply

Lender · Bellevue WA & Orange County, CA · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
3y
Quote from @Simon Carroll:

Hi. I'm just getting started in real estate investing and I can't figure out how to pick a market where I can start looking for deals. How do you research a market and decide you want to invest there? Thanks in advance for your help. 

 buying as investment or second home to "invest," requires 10-25% down payment so often times people start in their own market because owner occupied 1-4 unit programs are 0-5% down payment which is more feasible for most people unless you've been saving for a really long time and have capital to stack to go on a war rampage, in terms of investing.

Best of luck.

@Matthew Kwan@Carlos Valencia

See this reply in the discussion

14 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Nicholas L.Pro Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · Pittsburgh · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    3y

    @Simon Carroll

    somewhere close to you.  there's no substitute for being hands on.

  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2021 · 9k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    3y

    Draw a 30 min radium from where you are right now and pick a place. Don't invest where you can't easily be, especially as a newbie. 

  • Member since 2023 · 5 posts · 1 vote
    3y

    All of the homes within 30 minutes of where I am cost millions of dollars and the rents don't support LTRs. That's why I'm looking for markets outside of where I live. 

  • Nicholas L.Pro Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · Pittsburgh · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    3y

    @Simon Carroll

    go 2 or 3 or 4 hours out then.

  • Lender · Seattle, WA · Member since 2022 · 482 posts · 768 votes
    3y

    I would recommend house hacking while you live there and offset some of your mortgage expenses. However, the tradeoff the sacrifice of your personal lifestyle since you are living with roommates. Also, it depends what are you looking for. Do you value more on cash flow or higher appreciation? Also the job opportunities and population growth for potential states. The one good thing about both states that there are no income taxes so that's a plus. I would personally look towards TX as they have higher growth population than FL and more corporate hubs are slowing moving to TX meaning more job opportunities which will or has already created a high housing demand. If you decide to invest either TX or FL, 
    @Albert Bui @Carlos Valencia

  • Rental Property Investor · Oregon City, OR · Member since 2020 · 324 posts · 780 votes
    3y

    There's a million factors and you can spend months analyzing every detail. Personally I don't like to spend so much time over details. I found a few markets other investors were buying in and decided to set up shop there.

    What are you looking for in an investment? I can recommend some markets. 

  • Rockland, ME · Member since 2018 · 2 posts · 1 vote
    3y
    Quote from @Joseph Crunkilton:

    There's a million factors and you can spend months analyzing every detail. Personally I don't like to spend so much time over details. I found a few markets other investors were buying in and decided to set up shop there.

    What are you looking for in an investment? I can recommend some markets. 


     What would you suggest for someone who wants to be investing in multi-units?  Looking for immediate cash flow and getting in with little out of pocket money.  I have investors behind me.  

  • Lender · Bellevue WA & Orange County, CA · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Simon Carroll:

    Hi. I'm just getting started in real estate investing and I can't figure out how to pick a market where I can start looking for deals. How do you research a market and decide you want to invest there? Thanks in advance for your help. 

     buying as investment or second home to "invest," requires 10-25% down payment so often times people start in their own market because owner occupied 1-4 unit programs are 0-5% down payment which is more feasible for most people unless you've been saving for a really long time and have capital to stack to go on a war rampage, in terms of investing.

    Best of luck.

    @Matthew Kwan@Carlos Valencia

  • Rental Property Investor · Oregon City, OR · Member since 2020 · 324 posts · 780 votes
    3y
    Quote from @James Thompson:
    Quote from @Joseph Crunkilton:

    There's a million factors and you can spend months analyzing every detail. Personally I don't like to spend so much time over details. I found a few markets other investors were buying in and decided to set up shop there.

    What are you looking for in an investment? I can recommend some markets. 


     What would you suggest for someone who wants to be investing in multi-units?  Looking for immediate cash flow and getting in with little out of pocket money.  I have investors behind me.  


    That's probably over my pay grade, since I'm just a personal investor although I have raised capital with partners. I like KC. But most major midwest markets are going to provide you easy cash flow, strong COC returns and friendly laws. Are you thinking commercial? Or multi unit residential?
  • Sam McCormackBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Cincinnati, OH/NKY · Member since 2021 · 1k+ posts · 833 votes
    3y

    @Simon Carroll

    Hi Simon, you may be interested in the midwest! Not too sure of what you are looking for, but it could be a good place to start! 

    I am in Cincinnati if you are interested! Market mixed of cash flow and appreciation. Really depends on the area! Let me know Simon!

    Sam McCormack Realtor
    View Page
  • Member since 2023 · 5 posts · 1 vote
    3y
    Quote from @Joseph Crunkilton:

    There's a million factors and you can spend months analyzing every detail. Personally I don't like to spend so much time over details. I found a few markets other investors were buying in and decided to set up shop there.

    What are you looking for in an investment? I can recommend some markets. 


     I'm looking primarily for cash flow. Obviously we'd all like a property that cash flows a lot and appreciates like crazy, but I'd rather have a property that cash flows a lot and appreciates a little vs. one that cash flows a little and appreciates a lot. 

  • Real Estate Agent · NJ · Member since 2021 · 568 posts · 127 votes
    3y

    Always start in a market you know well, at least until you get a few properties under your belt

  • Sam McCormackBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Cincinnati, OH/NKY · Member since 2021 · 1k+ posts · 833 votes
    3y

    @Simon Carroll

    Completely understandable for doing a 30 minutes radius, but if you are goin beyond that to invest, like a "60 minute radius", it doesn't matter. I would say anything after 30 minute circle may as well be OOS, don't confine yourself

    Sam McCormack Realtor
    View Page
  • Jared HottleBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Cedar falls IA Waterloo, IA · Member since 2020 · 902 posts · 549 votes
    3y

    Depends on your goals. I think househacking in your local market will always be the best. Beyond that if you live in an expensive area, BRRRing or turn-key rentals in the Midwest will be a good option for cash flow. If you have interest in the midwest shoot me a message I am in Northeast Iowa and still helping buy cashflowing deals. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.