Skip to content
Goals, Business Plans & Entities
Account Closed
  • Investor
  • Orlando, FL
Votes |
How does money laundering work in a real estate investment firm?

Account Closed
  • Investor
  • Orlando, FL
Posted Aug 9 2015, 08:22

I AM NOT ASKING FOR ADVICE ON HOW TO DO ANYTHING ILLEGAL! Lol.

I used to know someone whose dad owned a real estate investment firm that had 5.5 billion of assets.

They told me that there is a lot of money laundering that goes on.

How exactly does this work? Who launders it and how? If I had a business like that, I would think I would keep track of everything so that nothing is stolen.

I hope this isn't against the forum rules. I'm not asking for advice on how to do this, I'm just wondering how it works and how it happens.

Account Closed
  • Investor
  • Orlando, FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Orlando, FL
Replied Aug 10 2015, 00:20
Originally posted by @Mike Hallahan:

I wouldn't snitch on such a powerful person/entity, bad things happen to good people. 

I'm not scared of that. And I could do it anonymously anyway.

The better question is.... why would someone who makes billions per year off rental properties get involved in anything illegal? He has so much to lose, but.... don't do the crime if you can't do the time. Why would he do that in the first place? Can a person really be THAT greedy? Having $2 billion per year instead of $1 billion per year does nothing to improve the quality of your life. What is the point?

User Stats

Votes
Mike Hallahan
  • Mckinleyville, CA
Votes |
  • Mckinleyville, CA
Replied Aug 10 2015, 00:48

Well ceo's are driven to get ever higher profits for their share holders, in order to justify their exorbitant salary and bonuses. Also the people that reach that level of success are more likely to be sociopathic. Or they might have a hole in their heart and they think they can make themselves whole by making more money. Also their is that effect of when people are in a groups, they lose personal accountability and their moral compass goes out the window.

Why do you want to report them? Unless you know some juicy details I kinda doubt they'd take an anonymous tip seriously, but I don't know anything. Q 

NREIG  logo
NREIG
|
Sponsored
Customizable insurance coverage with a program that’s easy to use Add, edit, and remove properties from your account any time with no minimum-earned premiums.
Account Closed
  • Investor
  • Orlando, FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Orlando, FL
Replied Aug 10 2015, 00:59

Well ceo's are driven to get ever higher profits for their share holders, in order to justify their exorbitant salary and bonuses. Also the people that reach that level of success are more likely to be sociopathic. Or they might have a hole in their heart and they think they can make themselves whole by making more money. Also their is that effect of when people are in a groups, they lose personal accountability and their moral compass goes out the window.

Why do you want to report them? Unless you know some juicy details I kinda doubt they'd take an anonymous tip seriously, but I don't know anything. Q 

Why would I want to report them? To clean up the streets.

"Likely to be sociopathic" - you just reinforced that I have what it takes to succeed!!! Lol. Funny, but not.

User Stats

Votes
Mike Hallahan
  • Mckinleyville, CA
Votes |
  • Mckinleyville, CA
Replied Aug 10 2015, 01:14

You can do that by campaigning for campaign finance reform and the legalization of drugs. Everything else is a frivolous game of whack a mole, ie treating the problem not creating a solution.

The dea has collaborated with drug cartels in bringing drugs into the country in exchange for info on the other cartels. The feds are more concerned with their public image and advancing their careers then public welfare.

Account Closed
  • Investor
  • Orlando, FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Orlando, FL
Replied Aug 10 2015, 01:27

You can do that by campaigning for campaign finance reform and the legalization of drugs. Everything else is a frivolous game of whack a mole, ie treating the problem not creating a solution.

The dea has collaborated with drug cartels in bringing drugs into the country in exchange for info on the other cartels. The feds are more concerned with their public image and advancing their careers then public welfare.

Oh well. We'll see what happens when I call the FBI tomorrow.

User Stats

Votes
Mike Hallahan
  • Mckinleyville, CA
Votes |
  • Mckinleyville, CA
Replied Aug 10 2015, 01:35

that is not anonymous. Print out a letter and an address label, wear gloves every step of the process and don't buy the stamp at the post office if you want to be anonymous. Drop it in a blue mail box. 

Agents are corruptible, you are ****ing with organized crime. 

Account Closed
  • Investor
  • Orlando, FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Orlando, FL
Replied Aug 10 2015, 01:51

that is not anonymous. Print out a letter and an address label, wear gloves every step of the process and don't buy the stamp at the post office if you want to be anonymous. Drop it in a blue mail box. 

I'm not scared.

User Stats

Votes
Bill Gulley#3 Guru, Book, & Course Reviews Contributor
  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator
  • Springfield, MO
Votes |
  • Springfield, MO
Replied Aug 10 2015, 02:00

Your suggestion takes you into another violation with the FBI, besides, that won't work. At 20, realize there are some topics and chat that you shouldn't get involved with on the internet, especially with your goal of dealing in medical mj. Anonymous tips are taken by phone to a hot line, there is a safe procedure to deal with law enforcement. Ideas from the movies will get you nailed. :)

Account Closed
  • Investor
  • Orlando, FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Orlando, FL
Replied Aug 10 2015, 02:03
Originally posted by @Bill Gulley:

Your suggestion takes you into another violation with the FBI, besides, that won't work. At 20, realize there are some topics and chat that you shouldn't get involved with on the internet, especially with your goal of dealing in medical mj. Anonymous tips are taken by phone to a hot line, there is a safe procedure to deal with law enforcement. Ideas from the movies will get you nailed. :)

Nailed by who? I'm the one doing the nailing. I can be as anonymous or as loud as I want to be......

User Stats

Votes
  • Springfield, MO
Votes |
  • Springfield, MO
Replied Aug 10 2015, 02:10

John, Have some coffee or go back to bed, LOL, that wasn't addressed to you. Not about you getting nailed but using the mail in that manner can be an issue for the sender.  Go right ahead and just call your local FBI hot line. Good luck!

Account Closed
  • Investor
  • Orlando, FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Orlando, FL
Replied Aug 10 2015, 02:27
Originally posted by @Bill Gulley:

John, Have some coffee or go back to bed, LOL, that wasn't addressed to you. Not about you getting nailed but using the mail in that manner can be an issue for the sender.  Go right ahead and just call your local FBI hot line. Good luck!

Coffee is the last thing I need.

User Stats

Votes
Mike Hallahan
  • Mckinleyville, CA
Votes |
  • Mckinleyville, CA
Replied Aug 10 2015, 02:45

interesting, why or rather how is protecting your privacy illegal? They don't take tips by mail? Why wouldn't it work? Does the printer leave a traceable "fingerprint"? Other then that it'd be impossible to trace to a person. Trusting an "annonymous" hot line seems far riskier to me. 

I believe in the free flow of information, the 1st, 4th and 5th amendment.  everyone should be informed of how to protect their privacy. If talking about such things makes me a target for them then that furthers my belief  it's a cause that needs to be championed.

Vacasa logo
Vacasa
|
Sponsored
We do the work. You get the ROI. We do it all for your vacation rental. All—marketing, pricing, guest requests, housekeeping & more.
Account Closed
  • Investor
  • Orlando, FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Orlando, FL
Replied Aug 10 2015, 02:50

interesting, why or rather how is protecting your privacy illegal? They don't take tips by mail? Why wouldn't it work? Does the printer leave a traceable "fingerprint"? Other then that it'd be impossible to trace to a person. Trusting an "annonymous" hot line seems far riskier to me. 

I believe in the free flow of information, the 1st, 4th and 5th amendment.  everyone should be informed of how to protect their privacy. If talking about such things makes me a target for them then that furthers my belief  it's a cause that needs to be championed.

I'll go with the hotline. There needs to be 2way communication.