Capital Contribution or Loan to fund LLC for flipping?

Capital Contribution or Loan to fund LLC for flipping?

Colorado Springs, CO · Member since 2024 · 3 posts · 2 votes

When funding my new LLC for flipping, should I use capital contributions or loans? I like the idea of a mix - with a smaller capital contribution being my buy-in and then a second larger amount for funding the first deal being a loan that will get paid back to me over time - over say, 5 years. I also feel like there are potential tax benefits to a loan instead of contribution/distribution. I would much rather pay tax on just the interest income rather than on a distribution of that amount, that I've already previously paid income tax on.

But, when getting funding for deals, from either hard money lenders or other lenders, will having that loan on the books create a roadblock that could make getting funding more difficult, potentially costing me deals?

Any advice or thoughts on the topic would be appreciated.

1Reply
86 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2021 · 774 posts · 501 votes
    2y

    Michael - When you say "loan" - what are you meaning? A loan from yourself to your newly established LLC? I would ask your CPA for the benefits of providing a loan to an LLC. If you're a single member LLC I'm not sure it makes much difference as it will likely flow through your own tax return anyway as a disregarded entity. However, if you're setting up the LLC to file as a business with a separate tax return there might be some advantages to a loan. As for your question on the hard money lenders - I don't think it matters how you source the equity for a deal, but it's more important how much equity/downpayment you can put down on a deal - i.e. 10%, 20%, 30%, etc... I don't think it matters to them if the money can from your LLC as cash or cash from a loan that you provided to your own LLC. Good Luck!

  • Colorado Springs, CO · Member since 2024 · 3 posts · 2 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Greg Kasmer:

    Michael - When you say "loan" - what are you meaning? A loan from yourself to your newly established LLC? I would ask your CPA for the benefits of providing a loan to an LLC. If you're a single member LLC I'm not sure it makes much difference as it will likely flow through your own tax return anyway as a disregarded entity. However, if you're setting up the LLC to file as a business with a separate tax return there might be some advantages to a loan. As for your question on the hard money lenders - I don't think it matters how you source the equity for a deal, but it's more important how much equity/downpayment you can put down on a deal - i.e. 10%, 20%, 30%, etc... I don't think it matters to them if the money can from your LLC as cash or cash from a loan that you provided to your own LLC. Good Luck!


    Yes, a loan from myself to my newly established business. And yes, It is a partnership LLC to have it's own tax return, 1065, K1, etc.

    Thank you very much for the feedback - much appreciated!

  • Specialist · NJ · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 652 votes
    2y

    If you season the money in the LLC bank account no one will ask any questions. If it is not seasoned someone may ask where did they fifty come from all you have to say is: "this is money I have saved for the purposes of investing in real estate" that's the textbook answer that no lender will ever question. The Lender does not need to know that you are lending your LLC 50k let's say. That's a private agreement between you and your LLC and that loan is not recorded in any banking data base that it would be put on any credit report.

    You are fine just depositing the money and then moving forward.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.