Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Goals, Business Plans & Entities
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Steven Medina
Votes |
Accounting challenges to Holding LLC

Steven Medina
Posted

How common and are there significant/sufficient benefits to have a Master Holding LLC own sub LLC's (property deeded to the sub LLC?) We currently have three rental SF properties in two LLC's currently and will have two more properties in two more LLC's in 3-6 months, all in Colorado. In the future, we will look to add a few more properties and can put them in LLC's and partner with our adult children (three in early 20's in age) for a total approaching 10 SF properties. We stack our insurance with renters, required to have insurance, landlord insurance on the property, Property manager with insurance for their work and we have a large umbrella policy overall.

Our Attorney advocates the Holding LLC and having it in WY for asset preservation and for my wife and I to own the WY Holding LLC and then the WY Holding LLC owns the sub LLCs that own the property. The approach seems sound, but my accountant who handles many RE clients is informing me of some of the challenges/cons they see:

- Adding complexity, i.e. the sub LLC's are not owned by me, but rather by the Holding LLC so will the lenders have issues? I know that Fannie and Freddie have in the last couple of years changed their policies and allow owner occupied properties to be placed into the name of an LLC so long as the loan is still attached to the original buyers. But not sure how having the LLC that owns the property being owned by another LLC changes that or not.

- Each LLC will only be able to collect and pay expenses for itself and we have to complete owner draw or input owner equity through the Holding LLC.

- Additional return and costs for maintaining the holding LLC and the return tax prep fees

- Tracking in Quickbooks for the Holding LLC and the sub LLC's

- Does it really have the protections that are worth the effort?

- Other complications, selling in the future, etc.

Anyone use this process or have knowledge that they can share. I don't want to overcomplicate unnecessarily and pay the Atty for a complex system that is time, expense, and challenging to implement. I also am trying to put the right amount of protection in place for the properties in my wife's and my name and those that would be in joint ownership LLC's with our children.

The alternative is to just have the four LLC's with no holding LLC and have the insurance on the rentals and large umbrella insurance policy vs the holding LLC. Or other ideas?

Thanks for any insight or experience you can share.

Loading replies...