Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Out of State Investing
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Brandon Morgan
Votes |
first time rental property. advice?

Brandon Morgan
Posted

hi all. I just bought my first investment property near Scranton. it was a pretty good deal compared to the prices I normally see in jersey. I bought a duplex, move in condition, Newley renovated. This is my first time investing in real estate and being a land lord. I live 2 hours away from the property. Anything I should keep in mind for managing a rental property out of state? any tips or advice is welcome and if anyone has any info on the Scranton area that would be great too. 

User Stats

Votes
Kevin Sobilo#4 General Landlording & Rental Properties Contributor
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Hanover Twp, PA
Votes |
Kevin Sobilo#4 General Landlording & Rental Properties Contributor
  • Hanover Twp, PA
Replied

@Brandon Morgan, most municipalities in this area have a rental ordinance that requires a local property manager. So, keep in mind that depending on how they enforce that you may need someone local when you have your units registered and inspected with the municipality. 

User Stats

Votes
Brandon Morgan
Votes |
Replied
Quote from @Kevin Sobilo:

@Brandon Morgan, most municipalities in this area have a rental ordinance that requires a local property manager. So, keep in mind that depending on how they enforce that you may need someone local when you have your units registered and inspected with the municipality. 

hmmm okay will keep that in mind. 

NREIG  logo
NREIG
|
Sponsored
Customizable insurance coverage with a program that’s easy to use Add, edit, and remove properties from your account any time with no minimum-earned premiums.

User Stats

Votes
Dan Marriggi
  • Scranton, Boston
Votes |
  • Scranton, Boston
Replied
Congrats on the new job.
Some things to keep in mind is to have systems in place : maintenance,bookkeeping,management, filling vacancies etc.
Know your SWOT  (Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities, and Threats)

The city requires a property manager if the owner lives more than 20 miles from the property.

User Stats

Votes
Mackaylee Beach
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Kansas City, MO
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Kansas City, MO
Replied

Congratulations on your investment!

I highly recommend staying well-informed about tenant/owner laws. Remember to post necessary notices promptly and keep thorough records of all transactions.