Switching from individual to commercial landlord policy

Switching from individual to commercial landlord policy

Investor · Saint Louis, MO · Member since 2014 · 37 posts · 14 votes

Hi-

I just put my third SFH rental under contract and when speaking to an insurance broker he mentioned I may do better switching from individual policies to one commercial policy, especially as I continue to add any other properties to my portfolio. After running the numbers it made sense, he quoted a replacement cost of $90 a square foot on each SFH, (which would cover more than my purchase price on each). The premium Would Be about $3200 total with $2500 deductible. He mentioned some investors go as low as $70 a square foot for lower premiums.

My questions is what do most of you have for coverage or recommend to your clients?  Two properties are in Michigan, one is in Oklahoma.  They range from 1300-1900 sq feet and avg purchase price is about $110k with conventional financing in place. 

Also. For liabiality, they would each be covered for $1M. He said I would not need more than this since my net worth is less than $1M, however, I am having him look at quotes for an excess liability umbrella policy for these as well. Is this going overboard? How much liability overage do I need on multiple SFH,s with a net worth less than $1M?

I will not be able to cover them under my existing Allstate Umbrella policy anymore since they would now be covered under another companies commercial policy which is why I am looking at this. 

Thank you everyone!  

Bob

0Reply
6 views

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Flipper/Rehabber · Yardley, PA · Member since 2015 · 451 posts · 307 votes
    8y
    @Bob M. I’m now in the same boat as you however did not consider commercial coverage. Following along to see what others say about this
  • Owen RosenBusiness Member
    Professional · Clinton Township, MI · Member since 2015 · 676 posts · 259 votes
    8y

    A few notes.  Your personal umbrella almost certainly will no longer apply on these properties.  Also, be very careful with replacement cost.  $90 per square foot may be enough to cover your purchase price but that doesn't mean you will get the full value you insure the home for in the event of a loss.  There could be a co-insurance penalty or the loss settlement might be actual cash value if you are not rebuilding.  Many agents do not properly explain these things as they only focus on price.  There are other possible caveats as well.  The biggest thing for me would be how many properties are we talking about.  For a handful of home, a commercial policy isn't necessary in most cases.

    Royal Oath Insurance Group4.9203 Reviews
  • Flipper/Rehabber · Yardley, PA · Member since 2015 · 451 posts · 307 votes
    8y

    @Owen Rosen - interesting points I did not think about.  But now that you mention them I know my Liberty Mutual agent has said to me several times my policy on "X" building is insurable for a replacement cost of $250K (but I only have $150K invested for example) and he has mentioned that very point.  To ensure for $250K replacement cost assumes a from scratch newly built building assuming the old one is not salvageable (e.g. total house fire).

    Very interesting points indeed

  • Owen RosenBusiness Member
    Professional · Clinton Township, MI · Member since 2015 · 676 posts · 259 votes
    8y

    @Mike B. I would strongly recommend finding out how they will settle non total losses as well as a total if you are not insured to the full replacement cost.  You don't want to get stuck with actual cash value or coinsurance penalties.

    Royal Oath Insurance Group4.9203 Reviews
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.