Rental Property Caught Fire - What Happens Next? (Pics included)

Rental Property Caught Fire - What Happens Next? (Pics included)

Sean WilliamsBusiness Member
Real Estate Agent · Louisville, KY · Member since 2014 · 124 posts · 56 votes

First and foremost, thank God no one was hurt or killed!

Thursday I got the call as a landlord you never want to get: "The house is on fire!"

Naturally I had to do a double-take to make sure I heard correctly, as you never think something like this would actually happen to you. As you'll see below from the photos, the damage was pretty severe - including smoke and water damage as well. Just a real reminder why it's CRITICAL to make sure you have proper coverage and to review your policy at least once a year to make sure it's sufficient. Luckily, I did not opt for the cheap route and appear to have pretty solid coverage (I did go with the higher deductible at $3k).

I would love to get some feedback or input from anyone that has dealt with this before. I'll share the basic details of my policy as well as the process we are being told to follow via insurance:

$55k +/- fair market value of home

$75k insured value classified as "replacement cost"

$3k deductible with fire, water and smoke damage coverage

$3k coverage on loss rents

$39k principal balance left on mortgage

We submitted the claim online with the photos below. I am currently waiting on the Fire Report from the fire department which I should have in the next day or so. The insurance company said they would review and if deemed to be bad enough they would send out an adjuster to assess the damage (safe to say they'll need to send someone out ha!). In the meantime I have already contacted a local restoration company (Paul Davis, any other suggestions?) to give me an initial idea of what we're dealing with.

I have a hunch that the damage will be more than the FMV of the house...I have to believe this is $50k+ worth of damage by the time you factor smoke and water damage, plus electrical and structural components. There is a second floor not shown in these pictures that also has significant damage too...the entire house has smoke damage. I am just trying to get an idea of what the possible outcomes may be taking into account the cost of the repairs may be more than the market value of the property...do they just send us a check for the repairs, do they send us a check for the market value, do they send us a check for the replacement cost etc etc?

Also, any additional info on the "replacement cost" vs. "actual cost" what that means for us in this scenario would be appreciated too...

0Reply
63 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2017 · 271 posts · 259 votes
8y

I'm a little late to the party, but I highly recommend hiring an independent restoration company so that you have an expert who has your best interest at heart. At a minimum, they will come out and give you a fair estimate of exactly what needs to be done and what it will cost. 

The insurance adjuster has one goal (guess). A restoration company that isn't dependent (IE the 1-3 the insurance company recommends) also has one goal, to keep their relationship with the insurance company because that is their source of work. Chances are extremely high that the Paul Davis, Servpro's, and Service Master's, etc. in your area do program work and are not independent.


If I was in your position, I'd hire 2 independent firms who are certified by the IICRC in Fire & Smoke Restoration (FSRT certification) but ideally, have a Master Fire & Smoke Restoration certification. Compare their quotes with what your policy covers. If there is a large discrepancy between the adjuster's estimate and the restoration company's, the independent company will help explain why each step is necessary and work with the adjuster. 


Ultimately, it's up to you to decide if you want to take the check that the insurance company is willing to write and be done vs. restoring the property. A few factors I'd consider are:

  • ARV of restored home vs. Insurance Check + Wholesaling the property in current condition
  • Previous rent vs Future rent restored with brand new components
  • Lost rent from 2-6 months of reconstruction
See this reply in the discussion

13 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · St. Paul, MN · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y

    you'll probably be better off to take the money that the insurance company offers you and then just selling the house/Raw land. I'm assuming by the value of the house the area is not going to be a spot that will attract a new build

  • Patrick LiskaPro Member
    Investor · Verona, NJ · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 832 votes
    9y

    Hire a public insurance adjuster to negotiate your claim with the insurance company, they will probably be able to get you more than you can personally get from the insurance co. i have not gone through this but this is something that i have read about. you are also better off with replacement cost in your policy, this is equal to what it would cost to fix it vs actual cost, which takes into the account the depreciated value of what was destroyed.

  • Jason BottPro Member
    Insurance Agent · Nationwide · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    @Sean Williams the claim pay out could be any of the scenarios you list above.  It depends on what your policy states.

    Most of my clients who have had total losses(max policy payout) will get paid directly and general contract the rehab or sell as is.  

    You most likely do not have enough coverage/$ to have a restoration company fix it.  Once they get involved, they are obligated to complete the smoke and water remediation completely.  A lot of your claim $ will go to this.

  • Rental Property Investor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2017 · 271 posts · 259 votes
    8y

    I'm a little late to the party, but I highly recommend hiring an independent restoration company so that you have an expert who has your best interest at heart. At a minimum, they will come out and give you a fair estimate of exactly what needs to be done and what it will cost. 

    The insurance adjuster has one goal (guess). A restoration company that isn't dependent (IE the 1-3 the insurance company recommends) also has one goal, to keep their relationship with the insurance company because that is their source of work. Chances are extremely high that the Paul Davis, Servpro's, and Service Master's, etc. in your area do program work and are not independent.


    If I was in your position, I'd hire 2 independent firms who are certified by the IICRC in Fire & Smoke Restoration (FSRT certification) but ideally, have a Master Fire & Smoke Restoration certification. Compare their quotes with what your policy covers. If there is a large discrepancy between the adjuster's estimate and the restoration company's, the independent company will help explain why each step is necessary and work with the adjuster. 


    Ultimately, it's up to you to decide if you want to take the check that the insurance company is willing to write and be done vs. restoring the property. A few factors I'd consider are:

    • ARV of restored home vs. Insurance Check + Wholesaling the property in current condition
    • Previous rent vs Future rent restored with brand new components
    • Lost rent from 2-6 months of reconstruction
  • Sean WilliamsBusiness Member
    OP
    Real Estate Agent · Louisville, KY · Member since 2014 · 124 posts · 56 votes
    8y

    @Jim K. appreciate the input. I have hired an experienced 3rd party restoration company and so far (knock on wood) they have done a fantastic job communicating with the adjuster and getting the scope of work nailed down. 

    I was not aware of the IICRC or Master Restoration Certification so I wish I had known to check that in advance. This was a referral from a friend of mine that had a similar situation happen and used them with great success. Also, they do have a odor-free guarantee as part of their contract.

    I'll let you know how things turn out in the end. We are currently in the process of gutting the home!

  • Real Estate Investor · Williamson County, TX · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 961 votes
    8y
    Master restoration certificate? Doesn't the city permit office make sure the property is repaired correctly...to code...apart from the smell? Just curious. Kind of sounds like an industry created certificate...the best they can do if no lobbyist to push creating a law to require certification to rehab burn outs.
  • Sean WilliamsBusiness Member
    OP
    Real Estate Agent · Louisville, KY · Member since 2014 · 124 posts · 56 votes
    8y

    @Mark Ainley the city has no input whatsoever (atleast here in Louisville) with the repair/restoration of the property. It's totally up to us as the homeowner how or who we want to repair and rehab the property. On a side note, items such as electrical and plumbing must be up to code so those items will be inspected.

  • Jordan MoorheadBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Austin, TX · Member since 2015 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8y

    @Sean Williams sounds like you are going to come out on top. The home should be in a much better spot after the restoration.

    I used to work for a restoration crew and they can make this like new, you'll be amazed when it's all done with if they can repair and don't have to rebuild.

  • Mark AinleyBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Roselle, IL (Chicago Suburb) · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    @Sean Williams I think you tagged me on accident but I have had this happen to me twice now.  Both fires were deemed to exceed my insured limit so they considered it a "total loss" which meant we got the insured value minus the deductible. 

    We also always use a private adjuster on our behalf anytime we have a big claim.  They are like injury attorneys and get paid a percentage of your claim so they fight for max amount. 

    One time we took the payout and sold the remaining house and lot for $7500 and the other one we are sitting on the land right not to possibly develop down the road. 

    Insurance companies don't like to mess around with these under 100k claims so they most likely will pay total loss and you will have to decide what to do next. 

  • Sean WilliamsBusiness Member
    OP
    Real Estate Agent · Louisville, KY · Member since 2014 · 124 posts · 56 votes
    8y

    @Mark Ainley well what are the odds that I accidently tag you? lol I meant to take Marian as a response but it appears BiggerPockets knew I needed to get connected with you on this. Thanks for the information, the contractor we hired is working directly with the adjuster on this. His experience and expertise on how to negotiate with the insurance adjuster has been fantastic.

    It has not been a total loss but the cost of the renovation is more than what we originally paid for the home which is nice! I purposefully, and uneducatedly, set the replacement cost of the policy at $75k while I knew the property was only worth about $50k...not sure if that is bad practice or not but I am the type that likes to make sure I am REALLY covered! 

  • Rental Property Investor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2017 · 271 posts · 259 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Sean Williams:

    @Mark Ainley well what are the odds that I accidently tag you? lol I meant to take Marian as a response but it appears BiggerPockets knew I needed to get connected with you on this. Thanks for the information, the contractor we hired is working directly with the adjuster on this. His experience and expertise on how to negotiate with the insurance adjuster has been fantastic.

    It has not been a total loss but the cost of the renovation is more than what we originally paid for the home which is nice! I purposefully, and uneducatedly, set the replacement cost of the policy at $75k while I knew the property was only worth about $50k...not sure if that is bad practice or not but I am the type that likes to make sure I am REALLY covered! 

    Glad to hear you had the foresight to get added coverage, Sean.

    Best of luck with the renovations!

  • Investor · West Columbia, SC · Member since 2017 · 46 posts · 13 votes
    8y

    @Sean Williams How did this work out? Can you share the numbers? I hope everything worked out fine!! 

  • Sean WilliamsBusiness Member
    OP
    Real Estate Agent · Louisville, KY · Member since 2014 · 124 posts · 56 votes
    8y

    @Chris V. windows were just installed and drywall hung. I'll share the final numbers once it's complete in a few weeks. Considering selling it once it's completely finished since I was pretty much already getting the market max on rent before this all happened.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.