Flood insurance on "Low-Mid Risk" Property?

Flood insurance on "Low-Mid Risk" Property?

Rental Property Investor · Hummelstown, PA · Member since 2015 · 638 posts · 653 votes

Going through a somewhat nightmare scenario on a recently purchased (3 weeks ago!) property in Indianapolis: They had a huge storm last night, and the house experienced both a power outage AND flash flooding leading to water in the basement.  So, the sump pump couldn't pump the water out due to power being out.  Basement is partially finished, so now we have water damage on carpet, drywall and trim.

I did not have flood insurance, because it's not in a flood plain, and tried filed a claim with my regular homeowners insurance anyways (it was promptly rejected).

I will have to come out of pocket (it sounds like) $5K-$6K to repair the damage.

So, few questions to all of you:

1.  Do you carry flood insurance on all your properties, even if they are not in a "high risk" flood plain? Is it worth it? (obviously in my case I wish I had it for this property, but is it worth it in the long term?)

2.  What can I do to be more proactive here...backup battery in sump pump, generator, etc.?

0Reply
18 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Lafayette, IN · Member since 2016 · 9 posts · 3 votes
10y

A fairly cheap , simple and reliable option is a water powered backup. It will work without any electricity at all. No batteries just water.

Here one I just found on Google.

http://www.libertypumps.com/Products/Category/SubCategory/Product/?p=76&s=23&c=14

Hope that helps.

Eric

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Lafayette, IN · Member since 2016 · 9 posts · 3 votes
    10y

    A fairly cheap , simple and reliable option is a water powered backup. It will work without any electricity at all. No batteries just water.

    Here one I just found on Google.

    http://www.libertypumps.com/Products/Category/SubCategory/Product/?p=76&s=23&c=14

    Hope that helps.

    Eric

  • Rental Property Investor · Hummelstown, PA · Member since 2015 · 638 posts · 653 votes
    10y

    @Eric Morgan

    Awesome, I've never heard of that but that looks like a great option.  Thanks!

  • Investor · Lafayette, IN · Member since 2016 · 9 posts · 3 votes
    10y

    I used to be a project manager down in Indianapolis. We did a lot of basement finishing and always put those in.

  • Jupiter, FL · Member since 2014 · 95 posts · 32 votes
    9y

    You might want to look into ways of lowering your insurance premiums with mitigations. Ihave a whole post about it below.

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/61/topics/364937-reducing-flood-insurance-costs?page=1#p2316931

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.