Gearing up for my first yellow letter marketing campaign...

Gearing up for my first yellow letter marketing campaign...

Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2013 · 227 posts · 31 votes

I have a list of addresses in my target area.

I have the budget set for my first batch of yellow letters.

I have an google voice account and vm to start recieving calls and a script that I will follow when screening prospective sellers.

What I don't have is a good letter. I feel like my letters a little on the lame side. Here's an example of what I'm thinking of sending. Any thoughts or critiques? Be brutally honest. Thanks as always.

"Dear Philip Doe,

I was driving through your neighborhood and saw your house on 170-0 XYZ Rd. I was wondering if you have thought about selling?

I can buy your house cash, “as-is” and close quickly!

Call me today at 978-xxx-xxxx to talk about it.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Sam Kay."

0Reply
21 views

11 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • billings, MT · Member since 2013 · 38 posts · 7 votes
    13y

    that should work. simple and to the point. update us after you field some calls. good luck

  • Real Estate Professional · Salt Lake City, UT · Member since 2010 · 608 posts · 163 votes
    13y

    @Samson Kay how are you finding the address to mail to? IF you are driving neighborhoods and mailing to houses that look like they need repair, you may want to not single them out ie "I was driving through your neighborhood and saw your house on 170-0 XYZ Rd." I agree with @John Milliken simple and to the point; although, that is not consistent through all mailing lists IMO. Search out @Michael Quarles and @Jerry Puckett for tons of direct mail marketing education.

  • Landlord and Rehabber · Newton, MA · Member since 2010 · 2k+ posts · 877 votes
    13y

    @Samson Kay

    I'll also agree that the letter sounds fine and that a simple message is probably the best way to go.

    I also see that you are from Lowell. I grew up in Dracut and own several properties in Lowell. Are you mailing in the city itself or are you hitting the surrounding towns?

    Are you looking to wholesale or are you looking to get properties for yourself?

    If you are wholesaling put me on your list as the Greater Lowell/Merrimack Valley area is about my favorite area to buy in.

  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2013 · 227 posts · 31 votes
    13y

    @Gary Parker - I've been using list source.com for my addresses. Do you think I should strike out the house number completely and just limit it to the street name? Also, I didn't see much discussion on this, but how many times should I DM the same addresses and how often before I strike them off my list.

    @Shaun Reilly - Right now I'm exploring wholesaling in the area. Primarily I'm focusing in the Lowell/Tewksbury/Chelmsford/Westford area. Mostly because these are the surrounding cities that I'm most familiar with. I'll keep you in mind if I get any accepted offers.

  • Real Estate Investor · Abington, MA · Member since 2011 · 356 posts · 114 votes
    13y

    @Samson Kay keep the address in the letter it helps to specify what you are looking to buy and some on your list will own multiple properties.

    You should plan to mail to a list 3 to 7 or even more times. The more they see your message the more likely you will be there when they need to sell.

    Don't plan a mailing plan a campaign.

    Mailing 1 Sell your house

    Mailing 2 Did you get my last letter

    Mailing 3 this is who I am and How may be able to help you

    Mailing 4 did you see this article on how to sell your house fast

    Mailing 5 Looking to buy houses in your neighborhood

    Hope this helps

  • Real Estate Professional · Salt Lake City, UT · Member since 2010 · 608 posts · 163 votes
    13y

    @Samson Kay I agree with @Paul Sorgi to keep the address in your letter. I am in the process of updating my letter series specifically to have them build upon each other better than they currently do, so I appreciate the example Paul.

  • Real Estate Entrepreneur · Winston-Salem, NC · Member since 2008 · 101 posts · 40 votes
    13y

    The traditional yellow letter copy, from Ron LeGrand, is:

    Dear Mr. Seller,

    My name is John. My wife is Sue. We'd like to buy your house at 123 Main St.

    Please call me at 404-555-1234.

    Thanks,

    John

    Your letter copy, in my opinion, sounds too much like a salesman. Make sure it's actually handwritten.

    (Full disclosure, I run a couple direct mail companies for REI, including a Yellow Letter service in development.)

  • Landlord and Rehabber · Newton, MA · Member since 2010 · 2k+ posts · 877 votes
    13y

    Hey @Samson Kay

    Those are good towns. Some locals might not want to work in Lowell itself but most everyone I know that works up there like the others.

    Myself very much included and I also would do deals in Lowell.

  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2013 · 227 posts · 31 votes
    13y

    @Blair H. I guess the concern for me of oversimplifying is that I don't want to necessarily mislead anyone into believing I'm just a person who's interested in living in the neighborhood.

    But at the same time, I don't want to advertise that I'm an investor either. I know that If i received a yellow letter I would probably be more likely to disregard it if I knew it was just some service trying to get business from me. I've recieved yellow letters from car dealerships trying to get me to sell my car. The yellow letters look pretty realistic. But I know better :)

    @Paul Sorgi Thanks for the insight. I wasn't sure what my mailing campaign was going to be other than my first letter. And I didn't want to just keep sending the same letters to the same people. But your plan seems like a good way to start. How many days/weeks do you wait before sending the next batch of letters?

  • billings, MT · Member since 2013 · 38 posts · 7 votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Blair H.:
    The traditional yellow letter copy, from Ron LeGrand, is:

    Dear Mr. Seller,

    My name is John. My wife is Sue. We'd like to buy your house at 123 Main St.

    Please call me at 404-555-1234.

    Thanks,

    John

    Your letter copy, in my opinion, sounds too much like a salesman. Make sure it's actually handwritten.

    (Full disclosure, I run a couple direct mail companies for REI, including a Yellow Letter service in development.)

    loving that letter more. it's simple, simple.

  • Real Estate Investor · Abington, MA · Member since 2011 · 356 posts · 114 votes
    13y

    @Samson Kay that would depend on the demographics of the list.

    Absentee owners 3 to 6 weeks apart (and you can repeat) Dominoes does

    Probate might want to shorten the campaign and a different message but the life of the list has an end much shorter than say absentee owners

    Divorce not a very long life to the list because eventually they will do something

    Remember it does not have to be perfect. Lay out your plan, write your letters, set the dates for your mailings, then start mailing. Track everything.

    Plan, Do Review,Adjust

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.