Can I Run Through my Start to Finish Wholesale Deal With Someone?

Can I Run Through my Start to Finish Wholesale Deal With Someone?

New London CT · Member since 2016 · 57 posts · 8 votes

I am meeting with my first potential seller tomorrow for an exterior inspection and beginning of our negotiations. I know there are 1000 posts and articles about the process but I have some holes in my thoughts and would like everything explained in one place.

I house hack one duplex that I put a ton of sweat equity into. I started a mail campaign in Groton CT in hopes to find an off market house I could afford and if not I could wholesale.

I am meeting with a motivated and tired landlord. This is her only property. She has owned it for a long time and has a personal connection with her occupants. She does not want them to know right now that she is selling so I am posing as an insurance adjuster when we walk the property. I also expect that at least one if not all occupants do not want me walking through there house. One occupant recently lost there father to COVID.

The property has 2 buildings.

Building 1 is a 1br/1ba and a 2br/1ba.

Building 2 is a SFR 3br/1ba.

She states the collected rents are 3000/mo. and are under market.

She claims to owe 140k.

Lets say we successfully negotiate and come to terms on an agreement.

Step 1 is to sign the purchase and sales agreement. I already have an attorney. 

    -Contract should be contingent on a building inspection and financing? or should it be contingent on finding a cash buyer?

    -Should There be any other contingencies?

Step 1.5 Earnest money goes to escrow.

 Step 2 is getting an inspection. Do I do that and pay for it? Do my potential buyers do it? What do buyers expect? If I have good videos and photos is that good enough? Do cash buyers even do inspections?

Step 3 Handling the buyer. I would collect his earnest money (at least equal to the deposit I placed) and sighn the assignment contract.   

Step 4 close the deal.     

At what point should a title search be done and who pays for it?

Should I plan for an appraisal?

How am I protected if god forbid I can't find a buyer?

Am I missing anything?

Running comps on single dwelling properties are easy. How do I run numbers on a duplex and a single fam on the same lot?

I do not have a substantial buyers list. I will likely rely on Facebook groups to assign this contract.

Thank you for any input.

0Reply
17 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Florence, NJ · Member since 2019 · 22 posts · 11 votes
    6y

    Hey I can definitely help with this... I also have a motivated seller out in Connecticut but I'm doing out of state investing so would love to talk more on that. Going to send you a PM

  • Property Manager · Groton, CT · Member since 2017 · 130 posts · 81 votes
    6y

    @Richard Arden

    hahaha I manage several properties that received your letters!!  I respect the hustle.  We should chat as I have a few recommendations for improvements and I am a buyer and have several others actively looking for multis.  I'm glad to hear you received responses.

    talk soon.

    -Dave

  • Property Manager · Groton, CT · Member since 2017 · 130 posts · 81 votes
    6y
  • Rental Property Investor · Greenwich, CT · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    Hey @Richard Arden, looks like your marketing efforts are starting to pay off. Well done! How are you positioning this? BRRRR? Flip? Just straight buy and hold?

    Feel free to reach out if you want to talk through the numbers. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.