My latest problem property

My latest problem property

Investor · Pearland, TX · Member since 2013 · 66 posts · 37 votes

So I wanted to relate my latest story to everyone on BP as to educate anyone thinking wholesaling is easy. I found this property via direct mail. It was a 3/2 in Richmond, Tx about 1740 square feet. It's in decent shape but needs about 20-25k worth of work. The current owners tried to start upgrading the property but hadn't finished and they were severely behind on property taxes and scheduled to go to auction soon. I explained that I work with a lot of investors and would love to buy their home and offer it to my investor base. They were willing to let me try to offer it to other investors. We signed a contract to buy it for 65K. ARV was about 145k. They owed about 40K in property taxes that would have to be paid off at closing. I was able to wholesale it to another investor in about 8 hrs for 85K. So far so good right? Well, as me not being the title genius I thought I was I seemed to have forgotten there are many delays trying to get title insurance. One, they didn't have a survey even from digging back in the day back to the 70's through all the property records. Not really a big problem but just one of many. 2nd, the title company found a lien from 1992 that had not been released yet. I called up the lien holder and asked what he would need to release his lien. Apparently, he had not been paid his final payment since 2013. So I went back to the owner and let them know they would need to make that final payment at closing. Of course, this lien holder didn't make it any easier as he would not return calls and he didn't care that we were trying to close on time. He was just pissed off that we bothered him. Who knew I wanted to actually help him get paid his money!?!@ 3rd issue and the current pressing issue. The original owners were a married couple. The husband has passed away about 8 years ago but he was still listed on title as they did not have a will and they did not go to probate court. So, we wrote up an affidavit of heirship which is like a declaration of the family tree and any debts the deceased may have had. Title gets back the affidavit and the husband had 5 children from a previous marriage and the deed had no right of survivorship which would automatically pass the rights to the wife. Now I"m stuck trying to negotiate with 5 different children from a previous marriage who have no contact with that side of the family and try to convince them to sign over their property rights to his wife. I would feel extremely lucky if this deal actualy closes. Anyone ever had this much difficulty trying to close a deal?

1Reply
21 views

Most Popular Reply

Sugar Land, TX · Member since 2016 · 69 posts · 79 votes
10y
Wow! That sounds like a lot of bumps to close. I have a house from wholesaler under contract that is being sold by the heirs and wholesaler is saying we will be able to close by Friday, however until I see the title Insurance and close the deal I won't be relaxed.
See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Sugar Land, TX · Member since 2016 · 69 posts · 79 votes
    10y
    Wow! That sounds like a lot of bumps to close. I have a house from wholesaler under contract that is being sold by the heirs and wholesaler is saying we will be able to close by Friday, however until I see the title Insurance and close the deal I won't be relaxed.
  • Lender · Greater LA/Orange County area, CA · Member since 2012 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    10y

    Suggest you use paragraphs to make easier to read. 

    I lost interest early and didn't make it to the end. Sorry.

  • Investor · Pearland, TX · Member since 2013 · 66 posts · 37 votes
    10y

    Sorry @Rick H.

    If you had gone through something similar, worrying about paragraphs is the last thing on your mind.

  • Rental Property Investor · Auburn, AL · Member since 2015 · 227 posts · 80 votes
    10y

    I had something similar.  I bought a townhouse from a lady who was 90 years old and in a nursing home.  Her conservator was handling the sale in her behalf.  She needed the funds to help with her nursing home bills.  A local judge had to check to make sure this lady wasn't being taken advantage of.  He even came out and inspected the property himself.  It needed a lot of deferred maintenance, thus the price was a little lower than it would have been ordinarily.  

    Once that hurdle was past, we had another.  This lady had no direct descendants, but we had to go to her nieces and nephews and have them sign off on the sale as well, as they may have been in line for an inheritance.  Didn't matter that she was still alive and needed the funds.  It took us about 6 months to get everything straightened out.  I closed on the property and spent about 20K to restore it to good condition, and am renting it out at this point.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.