Wholesaling a Foreclosure - Do I Care If Its a Sub-2 Or a Wrap?

Wholesaling a Foreclosure - Do I Care If Its a Sub-2 Or a Wrap?

Real Estate Investor · Steamboat, CO · Member since 2010 · 295 posts · 34 votes

I am in the process of wholesaling a foreclosure, and the numbers won't work if the buyer has to get a new loan. As the seller doesn't have much to lose, do I care if I wholesale it with a wrap vs. a Sub-2 ?

I will be out of the picture afterwards, but don't want the seller to get burned by a buyer who doesn't make the payments. However, the buyer will have to put down $40K to cure the foreclosure, etc. and will be invested in the outcome. I haven't done a wrap before, and the time is compressed now. I don't know if I have an obligation to the seller at this point. If a Sub-2 is done, of course I need to disclose this. I can also specify a loan servicing company for the payments.

I'm leaning towards the Sub-2 with a loan servicing contract. I also presume I would want to assign this, instead of double closing, to avoid being in the chain of title, as I don't know what will happen afterwards.

What might people more experienced than me think of this?

0Reply
11 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · Steamboat, CO · Member since 2010 · 295 posts · 34 votes
    13y

    In speaking to a local investor, I learned its better to do a wrap loan. This is because, should my buyer not make the loan payments, the seller would likely come after myself.

    I don't know if others here have done "wrap loans" or whether a loan servicing company should be utilized, to collect and forward the payments.

  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    13y

    Absolutely use a loan servicer!

    How are you selling a foreclosure, did you buy it, at which point it's not a foreclosure, you certainly won't be selling REO like this. :)

  • Real Estate Investor · Steamboat, CO · Member since 2010 · 295 posts · 34 votes
    13y

    I confused the matter - its in foreclosure proceedings and can be cured prior to sale. The notice of intent to cure was filed with the trustee.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.