Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Legal & Legislation
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Jay Moore
Votes |
How to Start an LLC and Recommendations for Setup Services

Jay Moore
Posted Jun 21 2024, 09:36

Hello BiggerPockets Community,

I'm new to the world of real estate investing and am looking to start my first LLC to better manage my properties and protect my personal assets. I understand that forming an LLC can offer various benefits, such as liability protection and potential tax advantages, but I'm a bit overwhelmed with where to begin.

I'd appreciate any advice or recommendations on the following:

1. **Steps to Start an LLC**: What are the essential steps involved in setting up an LLC for real estate purposes? Are there any specific considerations for landlords?

2. **Best Services for Setting Up an LLC**: There are numerous services out there that assist with forming an LLC (e.g., LegalZoom, Incfile, Rocket Lawyer). Which ones have you used, and which would you recommend based on your experience?

3. **State-Specific Considerations**: Are there any state-specific requirements or tips that I should be aware of? I am located in CA, so any insights related to this location would be particularly helpful.

4. **Ongoing Compliance**: What are the ongoing compliance requirements for maintaining an LLC? How do you handle annual reports, taxes, and other obligations?

5. **Professional Help**: Is it advisable to consult with an attorney or accountant when setting up an LLC, or are the online services sufficient? If professional help is recommended, what should I look for in a good attorney or accountant?

6. **Additional Tips**: Any other advice or insights from those who have successfully set up and managed an LLC for their real estate ventures would be greatly appreciated.

I want to ensure that I set things up correctly from the start to avoid any legal or financial issues down the line. Thank you in advance for your guidance and support.

Loading replies...