Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Medium-Term Rentals
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Kim Parker
Votes |
Upcoming tenant start date pushed back

Kim Parker
Posted

Hi BiggerPockets community,
We have a MTR that we rent the main floor and lower level separately to traveling healthcare professionals. It has gone very well so far.

We are set to welcome our next guest in two days. We have a holding deposit/agreement in place and the lease is already signed and prorated rent paid. 

She let me know yesterday that the hospital may push her start date back a week — sounds like it’s due to laggy intake processes (not her fault). 

If she cancels, I would keep the holding deposit. If she was already here and needed to leave early, I have that clearly outlined in the lease. 

If she wants me to hold it for her an additional week, would you have her pay rent as usual? Would you change lease dates? Some compromise in the middle?

Also, do you have this outlined in your MTR lease? I do have a failure to take occupancy piece in the lease, but the wording in it really is more geared towards a 12 month lease.

Thanks for your advice!

Loading replies...