Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Medium-Term Rentals
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Harrison Davis
Votes |
Help me analyze this property. Should I jump on this opportunity?

Harrison Davis
Posted

Hey everyone,

Context:

I am looking to buy my first investment property. Over several years, I have worked hard to save up for a down payment, and I currently have $200k set aside in a money market account ready to be put to use. I have been waiting for a good opportunity, and I came across something intriguing. There is a seller that needs to sell his rental property quickly (within ~45 days) as part of a divorce agreement. It is a townhome built in 2017 in a family-friendly, growing area, and it already has a tenant living there. The tenant has been reliable and has a track record of paying rent on time, and he is also motivated to find a buyer so that he doesn't have to move.

Cash Flow Calculations: 

Estimated property value = $590k. The seller is asking to sell for $565k if they can sell it without listing it and forego the agent commissions. However, I think this number could come down even lower after negotiation. Let's call it $550k purchase price.

Rent = $3,100/month

Mortgage: Given that I have $200k set aside, let's assume I put 35% down ($192.5k). Assume 8% mortgage rate and 30-year term. Principal & interest = $2,623/month. I have a strong credit score and expect I would be able to get approved for this mortgage.

Monthly taxes = $155/month ($1,860 annually)

Annual insurance = Estimated $166/month (~$2,000 annually)

Annual HOA = $196/month ($2,352 annually)

Maintenance = Estimated $250/month ($3,000 annually) (0.5% of property value given that this is a newer build. Am I off base in that assumption?)

Vacancy: I know it is prudent to be conservative with vacancy, but I have confirmed with the tenant he wants sign a lease for a minimum of 2 years and potentially up to 5 years. With this in mind, I assume vacancy for the first 2 years would be zero. I would plan to sell this property when the tenant is no longer ready to renew. Let's assume 2 years on the conservative side.

Property manager: I would manage this myself.

Net income (monthly): -$290/month. NEGATIVE cash flow.

Note: The home is already 100% furnished, so there is no need to buy furniture.

Appreciation and Loan Pay-Down:

I would offer $550k as the purchase price. The property is worth $590k already. I think it is reasonable to assume 4% annual appreciation in this area, which means after two years, the property could be sold for ~$635k.

Based on the terms of the mortgage, ~$351k will be remain on the loan balance after two years. 

Equity after 2 years = 635 (purchase price) - 351 (loan balance) = $284k. In essence, after two years I would have turned a $192k down payment into $284k equity (minus agent commissions and closing costs).

After selling the property, my plan would be to roll this equity into other investment properties through a 1031 exchange.

Questions:

Is this a good opportunity? Should I pursue this as my first investment property? Am I missing anything?

After running the numbers, this deal is clearly a value play. It will be negative cash flow, but does the equity created by buying at a discount make it a good investment? I am weighing this option against investing in an S&P 500 ETF in the stock market (historical 10% return).

User Stats

Votes
AJ Wong
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Oregon & California Coasts
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Oregon & California Coasts
Replied

Great post and question. High level $200k for a $36k gross return is a low yield..however I think there are a few variables..with 35% down you should be able to get stronger lending terms, if the seller is workable you could entertain a concession towards a rate buy down for lower obligations, possibility to look at shorter duration (ARM) loans if you only intend to own 3-5 years which could also offer a lower rate. Lastly, COC could be stronger with lower down payment..check in with @Joseph Chiofalo for some investor focused mortgage support. 

Fathom Realty  Logo

User Stats

Votes
Michael Smythe
Property Manager
  • Property Manager
  • Metro Detroit
Votes |
Property Manager
  • Property Manager
  • Metro Detroit
Replied

You mention turning $192k into $284k of equity, but where did you factor in the interest part of the negative cashflow payments?

BiggerPockets logo
PassivePockets is here!
|
BiggerPockets
Find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Joseph Chiofalo
Lender
  • Banker
  • Melville, NY
Votes |
Lender
  • Banker
  • Melville, NY
Replied

Hi Harrison, 

You may be able to find more aggressive terms with putting 35% down payment.  

How is your credit and where is the property located?