Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Medium-Term Rentals
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Harrison Davis
Votes |
Help me analyze this property. Should I jump on this opportunity?

Harrison Davis
Posted Jun 4 2024, 17:17

Hey everyone,

Context:

I am looking to buy my first investment property. Over several years, I have worked hard to save up for a down payment, and I currently have $200k set aside in a money market account ready to be put to use. I have been waiting for a good opportunity, and I came across something intriguing. There is a seller that needs to sell his rental property quickly (within ~45 days) as part of a divorce agreement. It is a townhome built in 2017 in a family-friendly, growing area, and it already has a tenant living there. The tenant has been reliable and has a track record of paying rent on time, and he is also motivated to find a buyer so that he doesn't have to move.

Cash Flow Calculations: 

Estimated property value = $590k. The seller is asking to sell for $565k if they can sell it without listing it and forego the agent commissions. However, I think this number could come down even lower after negotiation. Let's call it $550k purchase price.

Rent = $3,100/month

Mortgage: Given that I have $200k set aside, let's assume I put 35% down ($192.5k). Assume 8% mortgage rate and 30-year term. Principal & interest = $2,623/month. I have a strong credit score and expect I would be able to get approved for this mortgage.

Monthly taxes = $155/month ($1,860 annually)

Annual insurance = Estimated $166/month (~$2,000 annually)

Annual HOA = $196/month ($2,352 annually)

Maintenance = Estimated $250/month ($3,000 annually) (0.5% of property value given that this is a newer build. Am I off base in that assumption?)

Vacancy: I know it is prudent to be conservative with vacancy, but I have confirmed with the tenant he wants sign a lease for a minimum of 2 years and potentially up to 5 years. With this in mind, I assume vacancy for the first 2 years would be zero. I would plan to sell this property when the tenant is no longer ready to renew. Let's assume 2 years on the conservative side.

Property manager: I would manage this myself.

Net income (monthly): -$290/month. NEGATIVE cash flow.

Note: The home is already 100% furnished, so there is no need to buy furniture.

Appreciation and Loan Pay-Down:

I would offer $550k as the purchase price. The property is worth $590k already. I think it is reasonable to assume 4% annual appreciation in this area, which means after two years, the property could be sold for ~$635k.

Based on the terms of the mortgage, ~$351k will be remain on the loan balance after two years. 

Equity after 2 years = 635 (purchase price) - 351 (loan balance) = $284k. In essence, after two years I would have turned a $192k down payment into $284k equity (minus agent commissions and closing costs).

After selling the property, my plan would be to roll this equity into other investment properties through a 1031 exchange.

Questions:

Is this a good opportunity? Should I pursue this as my first investment property? Am I missing anything?

After running the numbers, this deal is clearly a value play. It will be negative cash flow, but does the equity created by buying at a discount make it a good investment? I am weighing this option against investing in an S&P 500 ETF in the stock market (historical 10% return).

Loading replies...