Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Medium-Term Rentals
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Tim Matthews
Pro Member
Votes |
Damage protection coverage for midterm rentals

Tim Matthews
Pro Member
Posted

Is there a third-party company that offers Damage Protection coverage for midterm rentals? Specifically for 2-6 month stays. Searching on the internet mainly results in regular landlord insurance. Since a mid-term stay could technically last for 60 days, is that a Damage Protection coverage for reservations this long similar to AirCover? I accept Direct Bookings by the way, and some are sourced from sites like Furnished Finder. 

User Stats

Votes
Zachary Deal
Pro Member
#4 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
  • Lender
Votes |
Pro Member
#4 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
  • Lender
Replied

Hi Tim, I know Proper and Steadily are common insurance choices for MTR owners. While I'm not sure specifically if they or any companies that offer Damage Protection coverage for 2 - 6 month stays, I know some people require a security deposit for longer stays (sometimes only half month) to mitigate damage risk and sometimes renters insurance as well. If you're worried about damage, I think some form of security deposit for longer stays makes sense.

User Stats

Votes
Jamie Banks#2 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Reston, VA
Votes |
Jamie Banks#2 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Reston, VA
Replied

Yes. I've used Waivo and another one (I forget the name) through Owner Rez. You typically have to pay per 30 days but I've seen that it's worth it as an extra protection for us landlords. 

BiggerPockets logo
PassivePockets is here!
|
BiggerPockets
Find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Allen Duan
Pro Member
#3 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied

Second for Waivo. They have different amounts of coverage and charge you per booking. MTR bookings are charged by the month, while STR bookings are one fee per booking. We charge tenants a fixed amount that covers the average length of our bookings.

I also considered Safely, but they're pricing becomes very expensive for MTRs

User Stats

Votes
Bonnie Low
Pro Member
#1 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
  • Investor
  • Cottonwood, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Cottonwood, CA
Replied
Quote from @Allen Duan:

Second for Waivo. They have different amounts of coverage and charge you per booking. MTR bookings are charged by the month, while STR bookings are one fee per booking. We charge tenants a fixed amount that covers the average length of our bookings.

So is Waivo more of an aircover-like insurance options rather than property insurance? I don't use Airbnb for MTR so I don't have Aircover as an option.

User Stats

Votes
Allen Duan
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied
Quote from @Bonnie Low:
Quote from @Allen Duan:

So is Waivo more of an aircover-like insurance options rather than property insurance? I don't use Airbnb for MTR so I don't have Aircover as an option.

Correct. It does not replace the need for property insurance. It's more of a replacement for the security deposit as they only cover guest damages with some specific stipulations. We chose to use a service like this so we don't have to track and refund deposits, which is very frequent for us managing so many MTRs. So it's more of an operational benefit than just financial.

User Stats

Votes
Bonnie Low
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Cottonwood, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Cottonwood, CA
Replied
Quote from @Allen Duan:
Quote from @Bonnie Low:
Quote from @Allen Duan:

Correct. It does not replace the need for property insurance. It's more of a replacement for the security deposit as they only cover guest damages with some specific stipulations. We chose to use a service like this so we don't have to track and refund deposits, which is very frequent for us managing so many MTRs. So it's more of an operational benefit than just financial.

You're using Waivo in lieu of collecting security deposits from your guests? Interesting.