Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Medium-Term Rentals
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Quiana Berry
  • New to Real Estate
Votes |
Out of State Investing in Travel Nurse Rental Multifam

Quiana Berry
  • New to Real Estate
Posted

As a newbie I am facing analysis paralysis on where to start my midterm investing journey. In NYC starting a midterm rental business is super expensive unless it's done upstate hence why Albany came on my radar. Also according to Furnished Finder its 5th in the state and there are 133k+ searches in the last 12 months and only 365 homes available. This seems like a lower competition market to start in, anyone have success they cna speka on? Also I saw a turnkey property selling for 459k and it is already on Furnished Finder. Wondering if that's a good deal. Any tips appreciated

User Stats

Votes
Samuel Diouf
Agent
#1 Out of State Investing Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
Agent
#1 Out of State Investing Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied

You can find lower priced homes that will do well here in Columbus, Ohio. Nationwide has the third largest children's hospital in the U.S. here in Columbus.

User Stats

Votes
Zeke Liston
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied
Quote from @Quiana Berry:

As a newbie I am facing analysis paralysis on where to start my midterm investing journey. In NYC starting a midterm rental business is super expensive unless it's done upstate hence why Albany came on my radar. Also according to Furnished Finder its 5th in the state and there are 133k+ searches in the last 12 months and only 365 homes available. This seems like a lower competition market to start in, anyone have success they cna speka on? Also I saw a turnkey property selling for 459k and it is already on Furnished Finder. Wondering if that's a good deal. Any tips appreciated

Hey Quiana, it's hard to tell if that's a good deal or not without reviewing the numbers and comps. I would try to run some comps on Zillow or Redfin. If you're considering out-of-state investing, I would consider the Columbus, Ohio, market. There are good opportunities for MTR and STR rentals here at a much more approachable price point. Good luck!

BiggerPockets logo
PassivePockets is here!
|
BiggerPockets
Find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Anthony Stephens
  • Brooklyn, NY
Votes |
  • Brooklyn, NY
Replied

I think the Albany market is not discussed enough. I have a few regular rental properties there and find it to be a pretty good rent to price ratio. Taxes are fairly high so that should be taken into consideration. I have no experience with midterm rental but would like to know more about it. Have you considered renting units without purchasing for your business?

User Stats

Votes
Zachary Deal
Pro Member
#4 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
  • Lender
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
Replied

I think Albany and a lot of the other markets within a couple hours of the city are often great LTR, STR, and MTR markets and are often overlooked. The properties tend to bring in good rents for their value and are of course not nearly as expensive as the city. @Anthony Stephens is right that the taxes are higher (in NJ as well) so that should be taken into consideration

User Stats

Votes
Erin Spradlin
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Colorado Springs, CO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Colorado Springs, CO
Replied

As a newbie I am facing analysis paralysis on where to start my midterm investing journey. In NYC starting a midterm rental business.

@Quiana Berry - I have a lot more success with MTRs on Airbnb and Zillow Rental Manager. Furnished Finder was more effective for me about 18 months ago, and has been less so since it became more popular. Also, there's a lot of confusion from the tenant side as far as who can book on Furnished Finder. So many people think that you have to be a nurse or a medical professional to be on Furnished Finder, but that's not true... However, that stereotype limits the tenant pool which limits your ability to fill your place. 

Erin Spradlin Real Estate Consulting Logo

User Stats

Votes
Colleen F.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Narragansett, RI
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Narragansett, RI
Replied

@Quiana Berry   You need to look at the numbers and local legislation.  Your midterm rental may not be cash flowing well, if it is selling.    The health care traveler market has fallen off and more people are getting into it. Don't just go by searches, look at what is rented in the area you want to buy (what is on ff but Not available). Check a couple other ways.  You may want to look at what other midterm renters there are in your area. 

User Stats

Votes
Travis Timmons
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Ellsworth, ME
Votes |
  • Ellsworth, ME
Replied

@Erin Spradlin it's funny that you mention that, we're all Airbnb and Zillow for the last 18 months as well. Airbnb tenants also pay a higher price. I'm considering just killing the furnished finder account due to the $149 annual fee. It's not much, but it's been a waste for the last year or two.

User Stats

Votes
Erin Spradlin
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Colorado Springs, CO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Colorado Springs, CO
Replied
Quote from @Travis Timmons:

@Erin Spradlin it's funny that you mention that, we're all Airbnb and Zillow for the last 18 months as well. Airbnb tenants also pay a higher price. I'm considering just killing the furnished finder account due to the $149 annual fee. It's not much, but it's been a waste for the last year or two.

@Travis Timmons Yes, I actually was up for renewal and just let it expire for the same reason. It's not a lot of money, but after awhile, it begs the question: why am I paying for this? 

User Stats

Votes
Marco Padilla
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Philadelphia, PA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Philadelphia, PA
Replied

Hey Quiana you can consider:

1. Research the
    market: Start by identifying cities or regions known for having
    significant hospitals or healthcare facilities. You can use online
    resources, such as hospital directories or real estate websites, to
    gather information about the location of hospitals and the surrounding
    area.
  2. Analyze the demand: Look into the demand for rental
    properties in those areas. You can research the occupancy rates,
    rental rates, and average length of stay for properties near hospitals.
    Online platforms like Furnished Finder can provide insights into the
    demand for furnished rentals.
  3. Evaluate the competition:
    Assess the level of competition in the market. You can examine the
    number of available properties, search trends, and the ratio of demand
    to supply. Lower competition markets may present better opportunities
    for initial success.
  4. Seek success stories: Reach out to
    fellow investors who have experience investing in similar markets.
    Online real estate forums, local investor networks, or social media
    groups can be great resources for finding success stories and
    experiences from investors who have achieved positive outcomes in lower
    competition markets.
  5. Analyze the property: When
    evaluating an available property, you should conduct a thorough
    analysis. Consider factors such as the purchase price, condition of the
    property, rental income potential, expenses, and potential return on
    investment. It's important to review any existing rental listings, like
    the ones on Furnished Finder, AirBnb & VRBO and assess the property's performance and
    potential profitability.
  6. Consult professionals: It may be
    beneficial to consult with real estate agents, property
    managers, or financial advisors who are familiar with the target market.
    They can provide local insights, advice on market conditions, rental
    regulations, and help analyze the investment potential.

Remember,
making informed investment decisions requires your careful analysis and due
diligence. And should consider your own financial goals, risk
tolerance, and conduct thorough research specific to the target market
before making any decisions. Good luck!

Robin Hood Properties LLC Logo

User Stats

Votes
James Carlson
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Denver CO | Colorado Springs, CO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Denver CO | Colorado Springs, CO
Replied
Quote from @Travis Timmons:

Yes, this ^^^.

James Carlson Real Estate Logo

User Stats

Votes
Miguel Del Mazo
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied

The data you get from FurnishedFinder doesn't make it easy to analyze a prospective area for investment, and as far as I know, there isn't an equivalent AirDNA-type service that produces great data for MTR investors. With so many municipalities imposing stricter guidelines for STRs, we are seeing a lot of STR hosts converting to MTRs (which I would argue is trickier than it might first appear). This means more competition in many areas and poor data with which to make a decision on where to invest.

This can lead to that analysis paralysis that the OP was talking about.  One way to break through that barrier is MTR arbitrage.  If you are interested in an area, look into renting a LTR from a responsible landlord and, with their permission and clearly defined (in writing) roles and responisbilities, then sub-lease their unfurnished rental as an MTR once you furnish it and get it ready. This can allow you to learn an area at a much deeper level without the major investment of purchasing a property. MTR arbitrage (MTRbitrage?)  has drawbacks, of, course. You miss out on any appreciation and tax benefits, and a lot depends on the quality of who you rent from, but I don't know of any way to more cheaply enter into a new market and learn it.

User Stats

Votes
Mike Lambert
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • The Americas and Europe
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • The Americas and Europe
Replied
Quote from @Miguel Del Mazo:

The data you get from FurnishedFinder doesn't make it easy to analyze a prospective area for investment, and as far as I know, there isn't an equivalent AirDNA-type service that produces great data for MTR investors. With so many municipalities imposing stricter guidelines for STRs, we are seeing a lot of STR hosts converting to MTRs (which I would argue is trickier than it might first appear). This means more competition in many areas and poor data with which to make a decision on where to invest.

This can lead to that analysis paralysis that the OP was talking about.  One way to break through that barrier is MTR arbitrage.  If you are interested in an area, look into renting a LTR from a responsible landlord and, with their permission and clearly defined (in writing) roles and responisbilities, then sub-lease their unfurnished rental as an MTR once you furnish it and get it ready. This can allow you to learn an area at a much deeper level without the major investment of purchasing a property. MTR arbitrage (MTRbitrage?)  has drawbacks, of, course. You miss out on any appreciation and tax benefits, and a lot depends on the quality of who you rent from, but I don't know of any way to more cheaply enter into a new market and learn it.

Sounds like a great idea but, by the time you’ve learned, the market could have changed, especially the supply and demand equilibrium. 
BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Miguel Del Mazo
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied
Quote from @Mike Lambert:
Sounds like a great idea but, by the time you’ve learned, the market could have changed, especially the supply and demand equilibrium. 

That's true.  I don't suggest doing arbitrage for many years to figure out the market (and the ropes), but rather, one can start with a sub-lease and then relatively quickly choose to buy if the conditions are good while continuing to profit from the sub-leased property until lease end.  If the conditions are not good, then you've saved a lot of grief and money buying into the wrong area at the cost of a lower amount of grief and money through the sub-lease.

I 100% agree, though, that extended paralysis will render you subject to the whims of a changing market.  If the market goes up, you've lost out on all the wonderful benefits of owning real estate.  If it stays the same or goes down, then only being in a lease can actually be better than being stuck as an owner.

As an additonal caveat, I aim for smaller markets where there is a decent gap between what an unfurnished and furnished unit will rent for.

User Stats

Votes
Steven Luttman
Agent
  • Saratoga Springs, NY
Votes |
Agent
  • Saratoga Springs, NY
Replied

There are a number of business models what can work in Albany. Student rentals by the UAlbany campus is certainly doable, however may become more competitive with the upcoming closure of Saint Rose. Clients are reporting great success with mid term rentals catering to traveling health care professionals at Albany Med. Of course there is a demand for quality housing for all of the state workers seeking longer term leases. Either way, if you offer a good product at market rate you should be successful. 

-Steve

User Stats

Votes
Bonnie Low
Pro Member
#1 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
  • Investor
  • Cottonwood, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Cottonwood, CA
Replied
Quote from @Erin Spradlin:

As a newbie I am facing analysis paralysis on where to start my midterm investing journey. In NYC starting a midterm rental business.

@Quiana Berry - I have a lot more success with MTRs on Airbnb and Zillow Rental Manager. Furnished Finder was more effective for me about 18 months ago, and has been less so since it became more popular. Also, there's a lot of confusion from the tenant side as far as who can book on Furnished Finder. So many people think that you have to be a nurse or a medical professional to be on Furnished Finder, but that's not true... However, that stereotype limits the tenant pool which limits your ability to fill your place. 

Erin, you've really hit on one of FF's fatal flaws IMO. They are still branding themselves as a furnished rental website for "travel nurses and other traveling professionals" but they give travel nursing top billing throughout their website. It IS confusing for travelers and unnecessarily limiting. They announced last summer that for the first time ever searches from non-medical personnel exceeded that of medical travelers and yet they still haven't really pivoted. They're not doing themselves or their hosts any favors. That said, 100% of my guests have come from FF and all have been in the medical professions but that's because our area uses travel medical professionals pretty heavily. I'd suggest the OP widen the aperture. While MTRs have historically been associated with travel nurses, the market really is much larger than that. It sounds like Albany has many things going for it so there may be many reasons someone would travel there. FF is just one source and good for establishing a baseline of sorts, but I agree with you that it's going to be beneficial to market on other sites, including the OTAs.

User Stats

Votes
Erin Spradlin
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Colorado Springs, CO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Colorado Springs, CO
Replied
Quote from @Bonnie Low:

Erin, you've really hit on one of FF's fatal flaws IMO. They are still branding themselves as a furnished rental website for "travel nurses and other traveling professionals" but they give travel nursing top billing throughout their website. It IS confusing for travelers and unnecessarily limiting. They announced last summer that for the first time ever searches from non-medical personnel exceeded that of medical travelers and yet they still haven't really pivoted. They're not doing themselves or their hosts any favors. That said, 100% of my guests have come from FF and all have been in the medical professions but that's because our area uses travel medical professionals pretty heavily. I'd suggest the OP widen the aperture. While MTRs have historically been associated with travel nurses, the market really is much larger than that. It sounds like Albany has many things going for it so there may be many reasons someone would travel there. FF is just one source and good for establishing a baseline of sorts, but I agree with you that it's going to be beneficial to market on other sites, including the OTAs.

@Bonnie Low THIS. I feel like Furnished Finder could make some very basic changes that would help them and their landlord hosts a lot, but they don't do it. For this reason, I feel like they are falling behind a little bit. It's interesting that you have been getting 100% of your guests from them because that was true for me until about 18 months ago and now it's all Airbnb and Zillow. LOL. Wherever they come from, I don't care as long as they are responsible and pay the bills. 

User Stats

Votes
Bonnie Low
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Cottonwood, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Cottonwood, CA
Replied
Quote from @Bonnie Low:

@Bonnie Low THIS. I feel like Furnished Finder could make some very basic changes that would help them and their landlord hosts a lot, but they don't do it. For this reason, I feel like they are falling behind a little bit. It's interesting that you have been getting 100% of your guests from them because that was true for me until about 18 months ago and now it's all Airbnb and Zillow. LOL. Wherever they come from, I don't care as long as they are responsible and pay the bills. 

I don't konw if you're on many social media sites, but even on the FF FB page it is littered with guests AND hosts claiming FF is a scam! It all comes down to people not getting traction. Either guests who get no response from hosts or hosts who don't know how to use it and wonder why no one is booking their place. I even had a woman argue with me extensively because she was convinced that I worked for FF and that is why I was claiming I've had such success with it. For the love of Pete I could not convince her otherwise so I just gave up. But seriously, they have all of the elements there and it's just maddening that they don't do a better job with it. It particularly irks me because a) they have people wanting to use their site and b) I don't trust Airbnb's guest-forward policies so I refuse to list my MTRs there. The market needs alternatives to the OTAs and they're already set up and established - if they would just make some basic improvements it would help everyone!  Ok, rant over ; )

User Stats

Votes
Erin Spradlin
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Colorado Springs, CO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Colorado Springs, CO
Replied
Quote from @Bonnie Low:
Quote from @Bonnie Low:

I don't konw if you're on many social media sites, but even on the FF FB page it is littered with guests AND hosts claiming FF is a scam! It all comes down to people not getting traction. Either guests who get no response from hosts or hosts who don't know how to use it and wonder why no one is booking their place. I even had a woman argue with me extensively because she was convinced that I worked for FF and that is why I was claiming I've had such success with it. For the love of Pete I could not convince her otherwise so I just gave up. But seriously, they have all of the elements there and it's just maddening that they don't do a better job with it. It particularly irks me because a) they have people wanting to use their site and b) I don't trust Airbnb's guest-forward policies so I refuse to list my MTRs there. The market needs alternatives to the OTAs and they're already set up and established - if they would just make some basic improvements it would help everyone!  Ok, rant over ; )

@Bonnie Low Rant away. I have so many thoughts about Furnished Finder, and most of them have to do with the company needing some kind of re-organization. It's particularly ironic that we are saying this about them when you source all your clientele from them and I have written books singing their praises- and, yet, now both of us are on a popular, public midterm rental forum saying they do not do a good job, they are not helping their hosts, they are leaving money on the table. Wake up, Furnished Finder. 

User Stats

Votes
Imam Hussain
  • Realtor
  • Albany, NY
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Albany, NY
Replied

I am an Albany-based agent and investor with over 18 years of experience in Long-Term Rentals (LTR). Recently, I converted one of my units to Short-Term Rentals (STR)/Medium-Term Rentals (MTR). I've been receiving bookings from Airbnb, but Furnishedfinder hasn't yielded any promising leads.

It appears that Furnishedfinder could be viable for those with one-bedroom units and low expenses, particularly for catering to travel nurses at Albany Med. My specific unit is located uptown near SUNY. With my current MTR/STR setup, I'm averaging $2300-2400. Conversely, the same two-bedroom, one-bath unit could fetch $1600-1700 under a traditional LTR arrangement without furnishing or utilities.

Considering the added expenses, the MTR/STR model doesn't seem worth it for me, given the marginal increase in revenue.

User Stats

Votes
Bonnie Low
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Cottonwood, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Cottonwood, CA
Replied
Quote from @Bonnie Low:
Quote from @Bonnie Low:

@Bonnie Low Rant away. I have so many thoughts about Furnished Finder, and most of them have to do with the company needing some kind of re-organization. It's particularly ironic that we are saying this about them when you source all your clientele from them and I have written books singing their praises- and, yet, now both of us are on a popular, public midterm rental forum saying they do not do a good job, they are not helping their hosts, they are leaving money on the table. Wake up, Furnished Finder. 

You make a great point. If you've got people who having nothing good to say about it and have never had a good experience, that's one thing. But when you have people who have figured it out and they're still saying it needs improvement, it's probably time to listen to your audience. I know they have lost a lot of business by raising their fees dramatically this year. If I wasn't getting any traction and my annual fee more than doubled I'd drop it, too. Yes, it is working for me. For now. But I also can see why other people are so frustrated with it both from the host and the guests' point of view. 

User Stats

Votes
Liam Maher
  • Miami, FL
Votes |
  • Miami, FL
Replied

Check out Rochester and Buffalo too, they're both top #10 cities by cash flow in the country at the moment 

User Stats

Votes
Zachary Deal
Pro Member
  • Lender
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
Replied

Agreed with @Liam Maher - I'm seeing a lot of great cash flowing deals in upstate in NY currently! Definitely very hot markets

User Stats

Votes
Matthew Irish-Jones
Property Manager
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Buffalo, NY
Votes |
Property Manager
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Buffalo, NY
Replied
Quote from @Zachary Deal:

Agreed with @Liam Maher - I'm seeing a lot of great cash flowing deals in upstate in NY currently! Definitely very hot markets

Inventory is light right now in Buffalo NY, but it has been a great cash flow market for years.  There has been an appreciation play as well.  

User Stats

Votes
Martin Grizzanti
  • Investor
  • Rochester, NY
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Rochester, NY
Replied

I like and invest full-time in Rochester--If you know where to buy it can be very solid for cash flow and appreciation 

User Stats

Votes
Replied
Quote from @Liam Maher:

Check out Rochester and Buffalo too, they're both top #10 cities by cash flow in the country at the moment 

Liam, What site is this that you are using here? I am sorry-I cant tell. ,