Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Medium-Term Rentals
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Alex Ng
Votes |
MTR in Southern California

Alex Ng
Posted

Hi, I'm looking to start MTR business in Socal. I'm looking to target travel nurses, corporate professionals, and insurance displaced individuals. What kind of properties should I target? 2/1 apartment units? Studio units? What city would be great for my first MTR unit? How much can I expect to furnish each property? 

User Stats

Votes
Zachary Deal
Pro Member
#4 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
  • Lender
Votes |
Pro Member
#4 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
  • Lender
Replied

Hi Alex - I think targeting smaller units like 1/2 beds if you're planning to target travel nurses makes the most sense. I would recommend looking at the Furnished Finder Traveler Search to see what is currently listed in the area you are targeting.

User Stats

Votes
Allen Duan
Pro Member
#3 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied

Hi Alex! I own a MTR management business with 25 MTRs in Los Angeles. I would target 1 bedroom units and/or 3 bedroom and larger. Could be SFHs or small multi family. Over the last 4 years, 2 bedrooms have performed the worse than the 1 bedroom or larger homes. I believe it's because individual travelers will choose the 1 bedroom and families prefer 3 or more bedrooms. 

The right property pretty much anywhere in LA can work well as a MTR. You need to identify what kind of tenant the specific property will appeal to and make sure it makes sense for the location. 

BiggerPockets logo
PassivePockets is here!
|
BiggerPockets
Find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Kathryn Demesa Sebastian
  • New to Real Estate
  • Orange County, CA
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Orange County, CA
Replied
Quote from @Allen Duan:

Hi Alex! I own a MTR management business with 25 MTRs in Los Angeles. I would target 1 bedroom units and/or 3 bedroom and larger. Could be SFHs or small multi family. Over the last 4 years, 2 bedrooms have performed the worse than the 1 bedroom or larger homes. I believe it's because individual travelers will choose the 1 bedroom and families prefer 3 or more bedrooms. 

The right property pretty much anywhere in LA can work well as a MTR. You need to identify what kind of tenant the specific property will appeal to and make sure it makes sense for the location. 

Great insight. Do you own or manage any studio MTRs? If so, how have they performed? 

I browsed through a few of your properties.  They look great! Do you hire an interior designer when setting up MTRs and STRs?

User Stats

Votes
Allen Duan
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied
Quote from @Kathryn Demesa Sebastian:
Quote from @Allen Duan:

Great insight. Do you own or manage any studio MTRs? If so, how have they performed? 

I browsed through a few of your properties.  They look great! Do you hire an interior designer when setting up MTRs and STRs?

Hi Kathryn! We've had a few studios as MTR arbitrage units before but they didn't perform well. Currently we have one we manage in a triplex. 

Yes, I have a designer on my team. But our PM clients furnish the properties themselves before handing them over to us.

User Stats

Votes
Kathryn Demesa Sebastian
  • New to Real Estate
  • Orange County, CA
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Orange County, CA
Replied
Quote from @Allen Duan:
Quote from @Allen Duan:

Hi Kathryn! We've had a few studios as MTR arbitrage units before but they didn't perform well. Currently we have one we manage in a triplex. 

Yes, I have a designer on my team. But our PM clients furnish the properties themselves before handing them over to us.

Thanks Allen! Do you have considered MTRs for individual rooms? Or would you not recommend this? 

User Stats

Votes
Allen Duan
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied
Quote from @Allen Duan:
Quote from @Allen Duan:

Thanks Allen! Do you have considered MTRs for individual rooms? Or would you not recommend this? 

Hi Kathryn! It can definitely be done in the right location where there is demand for it. I know of many other operators who MTR by the room successfully. Padsplit has a specific service like this where they do it all for you. I’m happy to connect and help you make any decisions for a specific property you’re considering for this strategy.

User Stats

Votes
Replied

https://www.padsplit.com/rooms-for-rent/los-angeles-ca