Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Medium-Term Rentals
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Shai Flax
  • North Richland Hills, TX
Votes |
Group homes licensing for rent by the room

Shai Flax
Posted Dec 28 2023, 12:50

Hey y'all,

After doing long-term renting, we are looking to get into mid-term by doing rent by the room.

I've heard that there is a limit for unrelated people living in one house, which can be as low as 3 people (which is very low and doesn't make sense ROI-wise).

We thought that the solution could be us being licensed for a group home which by that will give us way more wiggle room.

Does anybody here do that? Know if this process will solve that problem. I couldn't figure it out when I was researching about that topic.

Thanks in advance!

User Stats

Votes
Colleen F.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Narragansett, RI
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Narragansett, RI
Replied Dec 28 2023, 17:06

@Shai Flax Unrelated person ordinances are area specific so you shouldn't have heard, you would have I assume found a town ordinance that applies. In our area that means you need a boarding house license if you want a higher limit. Generally when people say group home they have a treatment population with a medical need in mind and lease to an organization. I know what you mean but in general renting by the room is not considered a group home per say. 

User Stats

Votes
Shannon Strickland
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Northern Virginia
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Northern Virginia
Replied Dec 29 2023, 05:32

As Colleen F. said, “Unrelated person ordinances are area specific.” For example, my county permits 3 unrelated, but bordering counties permit 4. A wise use of money was to pay a local real estate attorney $150 to review my options and boarding house agreement. A handful of compliance problems were flagged and adjusted, but I would have never known I was outside the law without proper advice. Try to always find out the truth for yourself from the source instead of hearsay.

It sounds like you might be converting a long-term rental (LTR) into a medium-term rental (MTR). If so, after furnishing, ideally you will make more renting to just 3 individuals as MTR than 1 LTR lease.

I highly recommend paying a local real estate attorney for either an initial consultation or 1 hour. Everything should be clear for you then. By doing so, you'll be able to make an informed decision that will benefit you in the long run.

Demo
Practice finding and analyzing deals
Tulsa, OK
$231,902 - Median Home Value
5.97% - YoY Rent Growth
$1,351 - Median Rental Income
0.58% - Rent/Price Ratio
4.56% - Appreciation
0.77% - Population Growth Rate
Find Deals

User Stats

Votes
Shai Flax
Votes |
Replied Dec 29 2023, 09:08

@Colleen F. thanks for your answer.

I unfortunately realize that rent by the room is not a thing for a group home but thought it would be a creative solution to my limit for not enough people...

Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Shai Flax
Votes |
Replied Dec 29 2023, 09:10

@Shannon Strickland

thanks for your answer.

unfortunately 3 people won't be enough cash flow for us to convert from LTR to MTR...

I'll try to find an RE lawyer, Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Colleen F.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Narragansett, RI
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Narragansett, RI
Replied Dec 29 2023, 16:07

@Shai Flax  If you mean a Group home as it is normally refered to, and licensing varies by the type of home you want to run. They are often not patient pay, the organization running them takes rent as an assigned payee for SSDI for example, they then apply for other subsidies for the housing and heat and other services that person may need. Sometimes they are staffed. There is no one group home license. It took two years for me to get a group home placement for a disabled adult in NJ because of needs and matching the person to the placement.  Now my cousin on the other hand was in a group home through another organization for the mentally ill that was much quicker. 

You could get a license as a boarding home or look for a facility that wants to rent your property that services this population which if it is well suited might have a good ROI. However you would need to match your house type to their needs. Disabled need single level WC accessible or some of developmental delayed only would need bus nearby as they often don't drive. Organzations will apply to the town for the business use license. That said some types of group homes will be better accepted than others in a neighborhood. It really is a business, more than a real estate investment.

User Stats

Votes
Shai Flax
Votes |
Replied Jan 1 2024, 13:15

@Colleen F. Thanks for you answer!