Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Medium-Term Rentals
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Jane S.
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Colorado Springs, CO
Votes |
I'm considering renting to traveling nurses anyone doing that now? or have done?

Jane S.
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Colorado Springs, CO
Posted

True STR scares me but I can understand how a 13-week commitment from nurses would work since the property, a 2 BR duplex, is a block from one of 2 central hospitals in town and a high-rent historic neighborhood (if you live in CS you know where this is). The list of stuff I have to provide is long and costly including new queen size beds. Do I get a firm or soft mattress???

As a woman I know what to buy, thank goodness the windows have cordless blinds already and there are Whirlpool and Maytag appliances. Does the hospital pay the rent? Is the Keycheck software helpful or bug-ridden?  

The occupants need renters insurance, obviously, but my homeowners policy probably won't cover (accidental) damage caused by them. 

There's a tenant in the lower level paying $1200 a month. This defrays somewhat the waiting period till a nurse or 2 move in.

Any comments about pitfalls and other negatives please tell me. If it looks too risky I can always do conventional 12 month lease without investing in the furniture and doodads. It's a lovely property.

Furnished Finder has been somewhat helpful but when I asked for testimonials or reviews from actual nurses who used their service, they waffled. 😳🧟‍♂️

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied

I've rented to traveling nurses before. My experience is that many of them appear to travel because they are mentally unstable and/or addicted to medications and wouldn't last in a long-term position. I also had an aunt that was a traveling nurse, and she fit the same narrative. She was a great nurse and people loved her, but she had issues that prevented her from holding a job long-term. Something to think about.

The way I understand it, there are companies that match traveling nurses with open positions around the country. The hospital hires that company to find them a traveling nurse, then the hospital pays the bills. In my experience, the hospital pays for everything. If there's an application fee, the hospital pays it. I suspect the same would be true for renters insurance.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Colleen F.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Narragansett, RI
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Narragansett, RI
Replied

@Jane S.  I advise you go to the furnished finder website and associated facebook page and get some information on this type of traveler. On FB page you can search discussions/questions regarding this type of renter.  Typically they pay their own rent now.  They get a housing reimbursement from their company. Your rent should be fair market rent for your area and unrelated to their profession or reimbursement rate.  Your local hospitals may or may not use travelers.  Travelers include many health professionals, not just nurses. Furnished finder is not a booking platform it just connects renters and landlords, the rest is up to you so you likely won't get testimonials. Mileage varies and since only the lister pays you would be better seeing how LL in your area find it useful or not.  I have had a number of health traveler renters and they vary as much as other renters however this is room rentals not so much units. Many of these travelers, particularly nurses don't like to share so if you are planning a shared environment you will likely get other health professionals. I haven't had issues renting a shared space but price appropriately and be clear in the ad what the setup is.   Hope that helps. (you need blackout curtains and a good mattress).

Baselane logo
Baselane
|
Sponsored
BiggerPockets prefers Baselane The #1 REI platform that integrates banking, rent collection and bookkeeping to save time and money.

User Stats

Votes
Jane S.
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Colorado Springs, CO
Votes |
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Colorado Springs, CO
Replied

THANK YOU ALL! Its a large $$$ cost to furnish the way I want prop to look! If I stick to 12 month tenants which I know how to do I think Im safer