Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Medium-Term Rentals
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Sarah Cross
  • Investor
  • Arizona
Votes |
MTR near Surprise, Arizona

Sarah Cross
  • Investor
  • Arizona
Posted

Curious if anyone is having success in renting MTR’s in or near Surprise? We are still in the remodel phase before renting out. 

Thanks everyone!

User Stats

Votes
Alyssa Ritchie
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Phoenix, AZ
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Phoenix, AZ
Replied

Hey Sarah!

Our experience up here in Anthem has been that most mid term renters only want to stay late October-March/April. We did get a lot of under qualified applications that wanted Long term, and ours was also fully furnished. Maybe if you connect with someone who has contacts with insurance companies or use furnished finder you may have a better experience. Ours was fully furnished. Hope this helps!

User Stats

Votes
Noah Corwick
Pro Member
  • Realtor
  • Phoenix, AZ
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Realtor
  • Phoenix, AZ
Replied

Hi Sarah, 

I honestly have not purchased a rental in Surprise yet (though I want to at some point). 

But in my opinion, Surprise is an appreciation play. If you believe the hype surrounding it: the affordable new construction being worked on, the expansion of the 303, the large corporations opening up facilitates bringing in a ton of jobs, etc., then it could be a smart move. 

I personally feel you that if you believe in Phoenix's expansion, buy now and reap the potentially great rewards 5-15 years from now. Basically I wouldn't go into it at this exact moment in time as a cash flow play. Obviously I'm sure you can find deals that indeed cashflow, but Surprise smells of appreciation to me. 

Best of luck with your rental! 

Baselane logo
Baselane
|
Sponsored
BiggerPockets prefers Baselane The #1 REI platform that integrates banking, rent collection and bookkeeping to save time and money.

User Stats

Votes
Don Konipol
Lender
Pro Member
#2 Starting Out Contributor
  • Lender
  • The Woodlands, TX
Votes |
Lender
Pro Member
#2 Starting Out Contributor
  • Lender
  • The Woodlands, TX
Replied
Quote from @Sarah Cross:

Curious if anyone is having success in renting MTR’s in or near Surprise? We are still in the remodel phase before renting out. 

Thanks everyone!

I owned a MTR in Tempe for 6 years, with almost 100% occupancy. This is because it was across the street from the main campus of ASU.  
Scottsdale gets a lot of play also because it has become a vacation destination.
Otherwise Phoenix area is a 7-8 month season, at best.  120 degree temperatures tend to decrease the areas desirability June - October

User Stats

Votes
Sarah Cross
  • Investor
  • Arizona
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Arizona
Replied

Thanks for responding - after much research, we bought into the hype of the growing valley to fuel our rental plans, plus the White Tank Mtns to hike and amenities nearby that we enjoy as well. I know it will appreciate and hopefully cash flow if only a little for now until rates drop again. 

User Stats

Votes
Noah Corwick
Pro Member
  • Realtor
  • Phoenix, AZ
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Realtor
  • Phoenix, AZ
Replied
Quote from @Sarah Cross:

Thanks for responding - after much research, we bought into the hype of the growing valley to fuel our rental plans, plus the White Tank Mtns to hike and amenities nearby that we enjoy as well. I know it will appreciate and hopefully cash flow if only a little for now until rates drop again. 

Congratulations Sarah! I'd love to stay in contact and learn how it goes.