As a REI, do you have a real estate license?

As a REI, do you have a real estate license?

Member since 2023 · 3 posts · 2 votes

I understand it is not required to have a real estate license in order to be a real estate investor, but I am wondering how many folks do have their license and whether they find it beneficial. Thank you! My husband and I are new to the real estate investment world and have seen it recommended but I want to see if it worth the time and money beforehand. 

2Reply
85 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Corpus Christi, TX · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
3y

Licensed since 1999, broker since 2007 (Texas), full time investor since 2000. Has it been beneficial for me? Absolutely. (1) saved a huge amount of money from not having to pay another broker to list my flip properties; (2) I can do property management for my rentals using my brokerage (3) gives me access to hard data to analyze potential investments (4) easy to make side income (commissions) by occasionally listing another investor's property. Obviously you don't need a license to be an investor but it would have cost me several hundred thousand dollars in the last 23 years by not having my license.  

See this reply in the discussion

17 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2021 · 9k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    3y

    I am an investor and hold my license. It is beneficial due to the fact that I have MLS access and can run my own comparables. I can also make commissions on deals I buy.

  • Member since 2023 · 2 posts · 1 vote
    3y

    I'm working on mine for the knowledge, CYA items, MLS & commissions. It also has a property management component that will be a big help. I can also get reciprocity in WI, where I'll be doing some investing in the future. It seemed like a great investment for not a lot of capital outlay.

  • Realtor · Provo, UT · Member since 2020 · 374 posts · 270 votes
    3y

    I am an investor and have my license. Being new to RE, I would probably get your first deal under your belt before thinking about getting your license. Three biggest benefits to having your license:

    1. Utah is a nondisclosure state so access to the MLS and comparable sales will be extremely beneficial.

    2. You can use the 2-3% commission as a downpayment.

    3. You can submit as many offers as you want.

    If you aren't planning on doing a lot of transactions yourself, I wouldn't recommend it. Before I was licensed, I won deals because of who my agent was. Agents can be overpaid but the good ones who are in the market every day doing deals are worth the 2-3%.

  • Investor · Scottsdale Austin Tuktoyaktuk · Member since 2021 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Amanda Miller:

    I understand it is not required to have a real estate license in order to be a real estate investor, but I am wondering how many folks do have their license and whether they find it beneficial. Thank you! My husband and I are new to the real estate investment world and have seen it recommended but I want to see if it worth the time and money beforehand. 

    Nope. Over 25 years, multi millions later and no license and would not get one. It slows people down. They think it means something and don't start until they are "socially approved" by getting a license, They do not teach you how to invest while getting a license. Now, if you want to be like 80% of real estate agents, get a license, sell one house, call it good and move on to something else. Those are the stats. 

    "So, how many active real estate agents and Realtors® are there? According to estimates from the Association of Real Estate License Law Officials (ARELLO), there are more than 3 million people holding active real estate licenses in the United States."


    "Dee Dee Cortez, a top real estate agent in Corpus Christi and Kingsville, Texas, explains that while it’s a relatively easy industry to enter,
    it’s far more difficult to actually achieve success. She agrees that anyone can be an agent, but it takes experience, training, and the right communication skills to succeed as a top agent." 

    And, hard work.



  • Lender · AZ · Member since 2022 · 148 posts · 95 votes
    3y

    Hey Amanda,

    I’m an agent here in Utah and It definitely benefits me for what I like to do.

    Since I mainly focus on house hacking and help others house hack it makes it easier to acquire my properties for less down with the commission piece.

    But helping other individuals residentially is much different than being an investor. I believe that is a whole different skill set so if you’re thinking you’ll make easy money doing that I would probably not expect to initially.

    But just like others have mentioned, since utah is a non disclosure state, its nice to be able to run my own comps as well.

  • Investor · Corpus Christi, TX · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    Licensed since 1999, broker since 2007 (Texas), full time investor since 2000. Has it been beneficial for me? Absolutely. (1) saved a huge amount of money from not having to pay another broker to list my flip properties; (2) I can do property management for my rentals using my brokerage (3) gives me access to hard data to analyze potential investments (4) easy to make side income (commissions) by occasionally listing another investor's property. Obviously you don't need a license to be an investor but it would have cost me several hundred thousand dollars in the last 23 years by not having my license.  

  • Alan AsriantsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    Hey Amanda! I think having a license is a great tool as a REI.

    Here are the benefits that I reaped buying my properties:

    1. Can access properties without going through third party - just schedule showing yourself

    2. Can send offers at your own time

    3. Can negotiate on your own

    4. The biggest pro - using your commission as tax free sellers assist - I save 50k buying homes

    CONS:

    1. If you don't have experience, having an REI minded Realtor will be invaluable

    2. Without experience you might think something is a good deal, but a good realtor can point out that this particular properties location is not optimal and hurts its value

    3. Negotiating on your own - while I pointed it out as a benefit. if you don't have experience, you are usually your own worst enemy. Emotions can cause you to make bad decisions. 

    Hope this helps

    Alan Asriants - New Century Real Estate 590 Reviews
    View Page
  • Columbus, OH · Member since 2023 · 427 posts · 254 votes
    3y

    With the right schedule/dedication ( and of course some background knowledge wouldn't hurt), a license can be obtained in about a month. Could be longer obviously, depending on how busy you are/how much time you devote to this. The main benefit would be access to the MLS, where you can find all listings in your area. The biggest benefit to an investor is being able to pull sales comps, which gives you a great idea of what you should be paid. REI's make money when they buy, not when they sell. In my area, it costs $1500 to register for courses, which would be a worthwhile investment if you find even 1 good deal via the MLS, or avoid 1 bad deal due to sales comps.

  • Member since 2023 · 3 posts · 2 votes
    3y

    This is to everyone who has replied up to this point. I am reading all of these responses and I absolutely appreciate the feedback and the time you all have taken to share your knowledge and experience. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

  • Real Estate Agent · Austin, TX · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 941 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Amanda Miller:

    I understand it is not required to have a real estate license in order to be a real estate investor, but I am wondering how many folks do have their license and whether they find it beneficial. Thank you! My husband and I are new to the real estate investment world and have seen it recommended but I want to see if it worth the time and money beforehand. 


     If you want to help other people sell houses as a career, then get it. Otherwise I don't think it's worth it as an investor.

  • Investor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2023 · 73 posts · 82 votes
    3y

    Hi Amanda. I'm just getting my feet wet in the real estate community and have yet to get a license. I think that this will be a next step in the process, since I will want to help people sell, but for now it is not necessary. As an investor your man purgative is to buy, and you can do this without needing a license. Personally, I'm on the hunt for off-market deals, which means I don't need access to the MLS. Luckily I have partners that do have access and can provide comps for me (which is one of the biggest upsides to holding a license). I hope this helped provide a different perspective.

  • Member since 2021 · 1 post · 0 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Account Closed:

    With the right schedule/dedication ( and of course some background knowledge wouldn't hurt), a license can be obtained in about a month. Could be longer obviously, depending on how busy you are/how much time you devote to this. The main benefit would be access to the MLS, where you can find all listings in your area. The biggest benefit to an investor is being able to pull sales comps, which gives you a great idea of what you should be paid. REI's make money when they buy, not when they sell. In my area, it costs $1500 to register for courses, which would be a worthwhile investment if you find even 1 good deal via the MLS, or avoid 1 bad deal due to sales comps.


     Hi Johnathan I'm in the same area and thinking of getting my license. You didnt state if you were an agent but if you are what school would you recommend here? 

  • Columbus, OH · Member since 2023 · 427 posts · 254 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Shayla Nickerson:
    Quote from @Account Closed:

    With the right schedule/dedication ( and of course some background knowledge wouldn't hurt), a license can be obtained in about a month. Could be longer obviously, depending on how busy you are/how much time you devote to this. The main benefit would be access to the MLS, where you can find all listings in your area. The biggest benefit to an investor is being able to pull sales comps, which gives you a great idea of what you should be paid. REI's make money when they buy, not when they sell. In my area, it costs $1500 to register for courses, which would be a worthwhile investment if you find even 1 good deal via the MLS, or avoid 1 bad deal due to sales comps.


     Hi Johnathan I'm in the same area and thinking of getting my license. You didnt state if you were an agent but if you are what school would you recommend here? 

    In Ohio, Hondros and Davis are the two colleges that offer courses that I hear about a lot. Hondros has been recommended to me by my peers and it includes Compucram, which is a very useful tool for studying for the final exam. Davis may be worth it if it is significantly cheaper, as Compucram on its own is around $100. Both offer all online courses, hope this helps.

    Hondros packages- https://www.hondros.com/progra...

    Davis packages- https://daviscollege.leaponlin...

  • Morris County, NJ · Member since 2020 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y

    @Amanda Miller

    Yes there are many reasons to have it, but it really isn't necessary.  Still, it depends on your strategy and goals...

    A couple other issues not mentioned is you still have to learn the trade.  Licensure only covers the regulatory issues so the State can come after you if you mess up.  Otherwise, its not that useful for day to day purposes.  Also, its ~$2k to $3k a year is just dues and fees to keep your license active since you need to hang it with a broker, thats after you find a broker who will take you.  Remember, brokers make their money off the backs of the agents.  So, it you aren't producing, you generally are costing the broker money.

    good luck.

  • Corby GoadeBusiness Member
    Investor · Boise, ID · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y

    Investor and realtor here as well.

    Contrary to popular belief, there is much more to this than just getting MLS access or saving a commission here or there.

    Negotiation and managing communication in a transaction is a learned skill- you don't get better at it when you do a two deals a year. There is a reason the attrition rate in our field is 90%. It's no coincidence that 20% of the agents in any given market are doing 80% of the deals.

    If you aren't doing at least 10 deals a year for yourself and for others, it's likely to be a waste of time. The reality is, even if you collect a commission here and there for yourself, your lack of experience will leave more money than that on the table, you just wouldn't realize where you gave leverage away. 

  • Real Estate Consultant · Cleveland · Member since 2020 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Amanda Miller:

    I understand it is not required to have a real estate license in order to be a real estate investor, but I am wondering how many folks do have their license and whether they find it beneficial. Thank you! My husband and I are new to the real estate investment world and have seen it recommended but I want to see if it worth the time and money beforehandno 

    No benefit, zero. With all the online sites you can run your own comps and do all the same " analysis " as a realtor. Also, the deals for the most part are off market. 

  • Member since 2023 · 3 posts · 2 votes
    3y

    Thank you all for your insight. I've decided NOT to get my license - for now, that seems like the best move for my situation. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.