House Hacking Budgeting

House Hacking Budgeting

Member since 2024 · 3 posts · 2 votes

Hello BP Community!

I've been saving for a house hack over the past two years and recently came across a great property in the Denver metro area that I’d love to pursue. Not only does it have excellent potential as a house hack, but it also offers significant upside for a live-in flip. Even better, I might be able to snag it well under market value since it's an estate sale that's been sitting on the market for nearly 200 days.

Here’s the challenge: while I could afford to purchase the property under market value, I’d be stretching my budget thin to cover the mortgage during the period I’d be remodeling the basement to make it rentable. That said, even with conservative rental income estimates, my living expenses would eventually drop to several hundred dollars less than what I’m currently paying in rent once the house hack starts generating income.

I do have cash reserves to weather some rough patches, but the idea of pushing my budget this hard makes me uneasy. I’m curious: are others who house hack buying homes they can just barely afford, or are you sticking closer to the ~30% housing rule and using house hacking income as an added bonus?

From my perspective, it seems like stretching the budget is almost a necessity to afford a property big enough to house hack in Denver—even with a good job.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts and experiences!

2Reply
39 views

Most Popular Reply

Ty CouttsBusiness Member
Lender · Denver, CO · Member since 2022 · 467 posts · 230 votes
1y

Hey Tyler

I'd say it's important to weigh the risks and rewards when considering a house hack, especially in a market like Denver. While purchasing under market value is a great opportunity, stretching your budget too thin can add significant financial stress, especially during the renovation period. It’s crucial to ensure that your cash reserves can cover not only the mortgage but also unexpected expenses during the remodel.

The 30% housing rule is a helpful guideline to avoid overextending yourself, and ideally, you should be comfortable with your monthly housing costs even without rental income. House hacking can certainly be a great way to build equity and reduce living expenses, but it’s essential to have a cushion in case your rental income doesn’t come in as expected or renovations take longer than planned. If you have any questions concerning especially the funding of this project, feel free to reach out.

Ty Coutts - Aslan Home Lending 544 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Jaycee GreenePro Member
    Real Estate Consultant · St. Louis MSA · Member since 2024 · 3k+ posts · 727 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Tyler Edens:

    Hello BP Community!

    I've been saving for a house hack over the past two years and recently came across a great property in the Denver metro area that I’d love to pursue. Not only does it have excellent potential as a house hack, but it also offers significant upside for a live-in flip. Even better, I might be able to snag it well under market value since it's an estate sale that's been sitting on the market for nearly 200 days.

    Here’s the challenge: while I could afford to purchase the property under market value, I’d be stretching my budget thin to cover the mortgage during the period I’d be remodeling the basement to make it rentable. That said, even with conservative rental income estimates, my living expenses would eventually drop to several hundred dollars less than what I’m currently paying in rent once the house hack starts generating income.

    I do have cash reserves to weather some rough patches, but the idea of pushing my budget this hard makes me uneasy. I’m curious: are others who house hack buying homes they can just barely afford, or are you sticking closer to the ~30% housing rule and using house hacking income as an added bonus?

    From my perspective, it seems like stretching the budget is almost a necessity to afford a property big enough to house hack in Denver—even with a good job.

    Looking forward to hearing your thoughts and experiences!

    Hey @Tyler Edens, welcome to the BP Forum! Can you share some financial numbers related to your house hack? The forum may suggest things you hadn't thought about yourself that could make things more affordable/achievable for you.

  • Member since 2024 · 3 posts · 2 votes
    1y

    Thanks for the suggestion, Jaycee! Here are the key numbers:

    • Potential purchase price: Mid-$400k range
    • Appraised value: Estimated at ~$500k
    • Rehabbed comparable properties (comps): ~$580-600k
    • Monthly PITI (with 5% down, including mortgage insurance): ~$3400
    • First-year PITI (with 2-1 buydown): ~$2900
    • Monthly income (after taxes): ~4-5k
    • Living expenses (utilities, groceries, etc.): ~$1600
    • Savings available: ~15-20% of the purchase price
      • Cash to close: ~$34k
      • Rehab estimate: ~$34k
      • Remaining reserves: ~$20-25k

    To fully fund the rehab, I'd need to come up with an additional ~$15k in the short term, which I anticipate paying back quickly once the rental portion is generating income. I am considering doing this with a 0% APR credit card to avoid a loan.

  • Member since 2024 · 3 posts · 2 votes
    1y

    Little more info:

    The basement would be ran as an Air BNB with ~$1800 of income potential with an upstairs roommate paying an aditional ~$1k

  • Jaycee GreenePro Member
    Real Estate Consultant · St. Louis MSA · Member since 2024 · 3k+ posts · 727 votes
    1y

    Hey @Tyler Edens. Assuming your numbers are accurate, I'm estimating your monthly "rent" or your contribution to the monthly expenses will be about $2,000. So, if you're OK with that, then it sounds like a good deal. However, and I don't know anything about AirBnB in Denver, but my biggest concern for this project is the ability to consistently rent the basement for $1,800. 

  • Ty CouttsBusiness Member
    Lender · Denver, CO · Member since 2022 · 467 posts · 230 votes
    1y

    Hey Tyler

    I'd say it's important to weigh the risks and rewards when considering a house hack, especially in a market like Denver. While purchasing under market value is a great opportunity, stretching your budget too thin can add significant financial stress, especially during the renovation period. It’s crucial to ensure that your cash reserves can cover not only the mortgage but also unexpected expenses during the remodel.

    The 30% housing rule is a helpful guideline to avoid overextending yourself, and ideally, you should be comfortable with your monthly housing costs even without rental income. House hacking can certainly be a great way to build equity and reduce living expenses, but it’s essential to have a cushion in case your rental income doesn’t come in as expected or renovations take longer than planned. If you have any questions concerning especially the funding of this project, feel free to reach out.

    Ty Coutts - Aslan Home Lending 544 Reviews
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.